Another iexplore.exe issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonG

Been having issues with IE running under the local service account for about a week now and just cannot seem to get rid of it. It just seems to cause advertising popups everynow and again and I can see the content getting pulled through to the temporary internet files of the documents and settings profile. I have mcafee installed and up to date and all available patches. Also manual scanning via MalwareBytes Antispyware and SuperAntispyware appear to find nothing, even in safe mode where the process does not appear to run.

According to sysinternals process explorer it is running under the svchost process (DCOM server process launcher/terminal services). Killing the process just causes it to respawn itself.

I have attached all the relevant files as per the 8 step process although I ended up running the GMER tool in safe mode given running it in the normal account seemed to cause it to reboot and never finish. Not sure if this log will be of any use.

I also notice I now have a service called DYNTRJCGZNMXNV although I think this is the left over from sysinternals rootkit revealer which froze when I tried to save the log file (did not appear to come up with anything obvious). Ended up having to end task the process.

I have also ran the combofix utility since I noticed someone else on this forum with a similar issue to mine was instructed to do so. I have attached the log.txt file from the results. It did delete some files although the problem still appears to be there.

Let me know if there is anything else you need me to do. Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• mbam-log-2010-07-14 (17-27-41).txt
    901 bytes · Views: 2
  • gmer.log
    1.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Attach.txt
    29.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DDS.txt
    25.9 KB · Views: 2
  • log.txt
    33.3 KB · Views: 2
I have also ran the combofix utility since I noticed someone else on this forum with a similar issue to mine was instructed to do so.

Rule #1: you do not follow the directions given to another user for malware cleaning. The helpers may have someone run Combofix, but it won't be until the preliminary logs have been reviewed. Using random programs in the hope that they will remove the malware and resolve the problems almost always ends up causing conflicts. There is also the need of having guidance in running these powerful types of programs.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

I am preparing some script for additional removals. While I am doing that, please do the following:

Run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus scan HEREhttp://www.eset.eu/online-scanner
  1. Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  2. Click Start
  3. When asked, allow the Active X control to install
  4. Disable your current Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock.
  5. Click Start
  6. Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is checked
  7. Click Scan
  8. Wait for the scan to finish
  9. Re-enable your Antivirus software.
  10. A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please include this on your post.

P2P or 'file sharing' Warning:
I note 3 files sharing programs running: Azureus, LimeWire and utorrent.
Note: Even if you are using a "safe" P2P program, it is only the program that is safe. I suggest that you uninstall all 3 programs the following reasons:
  • As long as you are using file sharing networks and programs which are from sources that are not documented, you cannot verity that a download is legitimate.
  • Malware writers use these program to include malicious content.
  • Fie sharing is usually unmonitored and there is a danger that your private files might be accessed.
  • The 'sharing' also includes malware that the shared system has on it.
  • Files that are illegal can be spread through file sharing.

Please read the information on P2P Warning to help you better understand these dangers.

If you choose not to uninstal these programs, do not use them while I am helping you clean the system.

Please run this when finished with my Post. Include the log the script generates and the Eset log in your next reply.

Custom CFScript

• [1]. Close any open browsers.
    [2]. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    [3]. Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the code below into it:

Code:
File::
c:\windows\system32\drivers\ueqcmcy.sys
c:\docume~1\Jon\LOCALS~1\Temp\DYNTRJCGZNMXNV.exe
c:\windows\system32\E.tmp
Folder::

Registry::
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\MEMSWEEP2]
"ImagePath"=-

Driver::
myepqw
DYNTRJCGZNMXNV
MEMSWEEP2
Save this as CFScript.txt, in the same location as ComboFix.exe
CFScriptB-4.gif

Referring to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe

When finished, it will produce a log for you at C:\ComboFix.txt . Please attach to your next reply.
====================
Are you using the Port Monitor (Portable Apps) from Syternals at this time?
Are you using the Cisco Systems SSL VPN Adater?

Please uninstall these outdated versions of Java: v5u3, v5u11, v6u18. Make sure you have the current v6u20 installed:Check this site: Java Updates Stay current as most updates are for security. Uninstall any earlier versions in Add/Remove Programs.

Thanks for your help with this. I have ran ESET which did quarantine a couple of things, apologies must have missed the do not clean tick box.

I have attached the logs anyway. Ran the script you included using combo fix but the problem reoccurs on reboot (an iexplore process is created soon after reboot). Also get the following pop up message

RUNDLL
Error loading CTMBHA
The dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed

Not sure if this is as a result of ESET or the combo fix.

I will remove the P2P software apps you describe. In connection with your questions, I did setup a portable apps tool including sysinternals although not aware of system drivers that would have been installed as a result. Feel free to remove this as well. Also the Cisco SSL VPN adaptor can also get removed (it automatically installs if I login to work), tend to use a VM for that now.

Thanks again for your help with this.

Attachments

• log.txt
    35 KB · Views: 2
  • ESETlog.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 1
I have additionally carried out the following as you mentioned.

- removed Azureus and LimeWire (think utorrent is just an exe).
- removed previous versions of java and updated version 6 to the latest version.
- uninstalled the Cisco VPN adaptor.
- checked out the location of the sysinternals portmon file mentioned in the logs and this does not exist. Have a feeling it was a driver created when you run the app and not tidyed itself up afterwards.

Looks as thugh the CTMBHA DLL mentioned before relates to my Creative Labs sound card. Will reinstall the driver for this once I have this sorted.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do in the meantime. The iexplore process still seems to be creating an instance of itself.

Thanks

Jon

Jon, the 3 files in Eset indicate location of Qoobox. This is where Combofix puts the quarantined entries. So they had actually already been handled and are not active in the system. At the end of cleaning, I will have you remove the cleaning tools and the logs they created- this will include the Qobox.

Are you familiar with these files from 4/4/2010?
c:\windows\Crepacosuwulecug.bin
c:\windows\Czubumiw.dat

or this from 4/7/2006?
c:\windows\system32\0E6C04508E.sys
---------------------------------------------
Please look over the Cisco files in the code box below. I have included all I found for Cisco- just to make sure there is nothing currently being used included:
Custom CFScript

[2]. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
Code:
c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\CSVirtA.sys
c:\downloads\PortableApps2\PortableApps\Sysinternals\PORTMSYS.SYS 
c:\program files\Cisco\Cisco Secure Desktop\CscoCSD.dll
c:\program files\Cisco\Cisco Secure Desktop\CSDaa279.sys
c:\docume~1\Jon\LOCALS~1\Temp\clclean.0001
c:\program files\Cisco\Cisco Secure Desktop\Storage.exe
c:\windows\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe

C:\VundoFix Backups
c:\program files\Azureus

[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\LimeWire\\LimeWire.exe"=-
"c:\\Downloads\\utorrent.exe"=-
"c:\\Downloads\\TVAnts\\Tvants.exe"=-
"c:\\Program Files\\TVAnts\\Tvants.exe"=-

Extra::
c:\program files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Experience Technology\npViewpoint.dll
Firefox::
Firefox-:- Profile- c:\documents and settings\Jon\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\c9t5ahry.default\

CSVirtA
PORTMON
twingostoragedrive
TwingoStorageService
CFScriptB-4.gif

When finished, it will produce a log for you at C:\ComboFix.txt . Please attach to your next reply.
=======================================
Choose v2.0.4:
When finished, please Download the HijackThis Installer HERE and save to the desktop:
  1. Double-click on HJTInstall.exe to run the program.
  2. By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
  3. Accept the license agreement by clicking the "I Accept" button.
  4. Click on the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
  5. Click "Save log" to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
  6. Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  7. Come back here to this thread and paste (Ctrl+V) the log in your next reply.

NOTE: Do NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet! Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

====================

The windows files you mention mean nothing to me. Feel free to remove them.

Reran combofix, see attached log. Below is the hijackthis log. Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Many thanks

Jon

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 21:06:01, on 18/07/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.17055)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaantmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\McSACore.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\EngineServer.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\VsTskMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfevtps.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Sony Ericsson PC Suite\SupServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMEService.exe
C:\Program Files\UPHClean\uphclean.exe
C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Server\vmware-authd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Image Editing\vmount2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vmnat.exe
C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\WinVNC.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\Mcshield.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vmnetdhcp.exe
C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Server\vmserverdWin32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\VoiceCenter\AndreaVC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\SHSTAT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\udaterui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Jon\LOCALS~1\Temp\clclean.0001
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\launcher\Reader Library Launcher.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\DMXLauncher.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLACTRLW.EXE
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\McTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Fisher-Price\DACS\MiniApp\DACSMiniApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Creative Labs Shared\Service\CreativeLicensing.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Eraser\eraser.exe
C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMERunner.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Sony Ericsson PC Suite\SEPCSuite.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\khalshared\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R3 - URLSearchHook: McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - {0EBBBE48-BAD4-4B4C-8E5A-516ABECAE064} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLASHX_W.DLL
O2 - BHO: McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO - {B164E929-A1B6-4A06-B104-2CD0E90A88FF} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - {0EBBBE48-BAD4-4B4C-8E5A-516ABECAE064} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinVNC] "C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\WinVNC.exe" -servicehelper
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VoiceCenter] "C:\Program Files\Creative\VoiceCenter\AndreaVC.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\Program Files\McAfee\SpamKiller\MSKDetct.exe /uninstall
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\udaterui.exe" /StartedFromRunKey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MBMon] Rundll32 CTMBHA.DLL,MBMon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\khalshared\KHALMNPR.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\isuspm.exe" -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAAnotif] C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eBook Library Launcher] C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\launcher\Reader Library Launcher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DMXLauncher] C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\DMXLauncher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLA] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLACTRLW.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DACSMiniApp] C:\Program Files\Fisher-Price\DACS\MiniApp\DACSMiniApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Eraser] C:\Program Files\Eraser\eraser.exe -hide
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TomTomHOME.exe] "C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMERunner.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sony Ericsson PC Suite] "C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Sony Ericsson PC Suite\SEPCSuite.exe" /systray /nologon
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SetDefaultMIDI] MIDIDef.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] "C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe" /R
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [FlashPlayerUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10d.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [FlashPlayerUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10d.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {264AED84-12F1-4CA1-8AA7-EB939AE58D8D} (STCWeb Control) - https://connect.ntw.nhs.uk/CACHE/stc/1/binaries/stcweb.cab
O16 - DPF: {55963676-2F5E-4BAF-AC28-CF26AA587566} (Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client Web Control) - https://connect.ntw.nhs.uk/CACHE/stc/1/binaries/vpnweb.cab
O16 - DPF: {6C269571-C6D7-4818-BCA4-32A035E8C884} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://www.creative.com/softwareupdate/su/ocx/15101/CTSUEng.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1168556529235
O16 - DPF: {705EC6D4-B138-4079-A307-EF13E40C2416} (InstallerWeb Control) - https://connect.ntw.nhs.uk/CACHE/sdesktop/install/binaries/instweb.cab
O16 - DPF: {82774781-8F4E-11D1-AB1C-0000F8773BF0} (DLC Class) - https://transfers.ds.microsoft.com/FTM/TransferSource/grTransferCtrl.cab
O16 - DPF: {D821DC4A-0814-435E-9820-661C543A4679} (CRLDownloadWrapper Class) - http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/crlupdate/en/crlocx.ocx
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/softwareupdate/su/ocx/15106/CTPID.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{D7BA784D-4549-4855-9A4F-8A47DFF21CA8}: NameServer = 192.168.0.1
O18 - Protocol: dssrequest - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O18 - Protocol: sacore - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Labs Licensing Service - Creative Labs - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Creative Labs Shared\Service\CreativeLicensing.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel® Quick Resume Technology Drivers (ELService) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel(R) Quick Resume Technology\ELService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMon) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaantmon.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Oracle - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SiteAdvisor Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\McSACore.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Engine Service (McAfeeEngineService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\EngineServer.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee McShield (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\Mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Manager (McTaskManager) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\VsTskMgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service (mfevtp) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfevtps.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Sony Ericsson OMSI download service (OMSI download service) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Sony Ericsson PC Suite\SupServ.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SCSI Helper Service - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\Fsk\SonySCSIHelperService.exe
O23 - Service: TomTomHOMEService - TomTom - C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMEService.exe
O23 - Service: VMware Authorization Service (VMAuthdService) - VMware, Inc. - C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Server\vmware-authd.exe
O23 - Service: VMware DHCP Service (VMnetDHCP) - VMware, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vmnetdhcp.exe
O23 - Service: VMware Virtual Mount Manager Extended (vmount2) - VMware, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Image Editing\vmount2.exe
O23 - Service: VMware Registration Service (vmserverdWin32) - VMware, Inc. - C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Server\vmserverdWin32.exe
O23 - Service: VMware NAT Service - VMware, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vmnat.exe
O23 - Service: VNC Server (winvnc) - UltraVNC - C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\WinVNC.exe

--
End of file - 15244 bytes

Attachments

• ComboFix.txt
    35.2 KB · Views: 1
Jon, there are a significant number of processes running on this system that appear to be starting on boot and running in the background. Many of them do not need to start on boot. I counted 32 and of those, 6 are for McAfee. The remaining can be started as you need them. I see three user names on this system and would suggest that you get together and pare down your startups.

If there are programs you no longer use, they should be uninstalled- look for uninstaller first in the program itself and if not found, uninstall in Add/Remove Programs found in the Control Panel. You should go through the Startup menu using the msconfig utility and uncheck all processes that you don't need to start on boot.

Take a look at this Task in the Scheduled Tasks. I don't know what it is. If you're not using it, remove from the schedule:
2010-07-11 c:\windows\Tasks\sd.job
- c:\jontemp\sd.bat [2006-10-30 08:15]

It's running from a temp file. I suggest you run TFC again.
Custom CFScript

Code:
c:\docume~1\Jon\LOCALS~1\Temp\clclean.0001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\MEMSWEEP2]
"ImagePath"=-

CFScriptB-4.gif

====================
Are the original malware problems resolved?

Removed a load of apps that we no longer used and changed the automatic status of a number of services to manual. Hoping that will clear some of it up. Have re-ran combo fix with your script but still have the iexplore.exe process starting on boot. It even appears to start in safe mode with networking support. Other thing I have noticed is that I get a BSOD if a restart windows with my external HDD attached. Comes up with a 'problem has been detected and windows has shutdown to prevent damage to the computer STOP:0x0000007E' just after the XP splash screen. A cold start seems to be fine but it is as if the external HDD is not ready when doing a reboot which causes it to crash. I have been trying to clean up the machine without my HDD attached all week so cannot see this being the cause of the problem, more that there is an odd driver trying to access the disk.

I have attached the latest combofix logs as well as another hyjackthis txt log, not sure if this is of any use. The SD.bat file is a scheduled task I sometimes kick in if I want to shut down the PC at a certain time, this is nothing to worry about. Also googled the cclean files and they seem to be caused by creative sound drivers on Dell machines. Checked out the following processes/exes in the reports which looked a bit suspect but all of them appear to be signed by creative so appear legitimate.

C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
MIDIDef.exe
CTFMON.EXE

Starting to run out of ideas other than a full install or trying out a few old restore points. Let me know if there is anything else worth trying. Thanks again.

Attachments

• log.txt
    28.8 KB · Views: 1
  • hijackthis.log
    13.8 KB · Views: 1
Don't give up yet! There is an entry pointing to the TDSS Trojan.

Download TDSSKiller. Extract the zipped file to your desktop.

Go to Start ->Run. Type/Copy and Paste the following text into the prompt:
Code:
"%userprofile%\Desktop\TDSSKiller.exe" -l C:\report.txt -v
  • This will have the program write a detailed log
  • The screen will resemble this black screen:
2663_5.jpg

• If malicious services or files have been detected, the utility will prompt to reboot the PC in order to complete the disinfection procedure. Please reboot when prompted.
  • After reboot, the driver will delete malicious registry keys and files as well as remove itself from the services list..
  • You should get a screen like this:
TDSSKillerResults.jpg

• A log file named report.txt should have been created and saved to the root directory (usually C:\report.txt).
  • Follow the prompts and attach the report to your next reply.
==================================
Please reopen HijackThis to 'do system scan only.' Check each of the following if resent:

C:\DOCUME~1\Jon\LOCALS~1\Temp\clclean.0001
C:\Program Files\UPHClean\uphclean.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)

Close all Windows except HijackThis and click on "Fix Checked.

FYI< although you changed some settings, you still have a great number of processes running in the background. I don't think any of the 'Creative' processes need to start on boot, neither do media players and related processes. Stop all auto-updates except AV.

Ran TDSSKiller but came up clean. Have attached logs anyway.

Removed suggested values via HijackThis but has also made no difference. Not sure how you remove the files you mention since they do not come up on the check list only the report. Believe the uphclean.exe relates to the microsoft user profile hive cleanup service which is running. Does not appear on the lists since it is a valid microsoft service. When I stop it it does not make a difference to the process anyway.

Unselected all of the startup values using MSCONFIG, only one complained and is still listed on reboot. It is the following file which appears to be valid. C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvcpl.dll which appears to be a signed NVIDIA Display Properties Extension.

Reran hijackthis without these startup processes enabled, not sure if it is of any use but have attached it anyway.

Let me know if there is anything else to try.

Thanks

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    9.4 KB · Views: 1
  • report.txt
    58.8 KB · Views: 1
Okay, let's regroup: I need for you to describe accurately what the problems are. No slang word like 'laggy'' please.

If speed is an issue, you will need to uncheck everything on startup except for AV, 3rd party firewall if you have one, touch pad process if on laptop and network process if any. The Services you have running now- I see 27 running- the 023 entries, for the most part can be set to Manual startup type except for McAfee and possibly the VM Services.

And please- if you have any more logs, paste them in. It's too time consuming for me to have to copy and paste instead of searching in my browser.

I think if you stop the 'Creative' processes alone you will notice a big difference.

The machine is not particularly slow I just cannot get rid of an iexplore.exe process that starts up soon after login (normally pops up with a message asking me to change my default browser). No internet explorer window is shown and it appears to run under the local service profile (this is where the temporary internet settings are saved). Every now and again an internet explorer window will pop up with a gambling or dating website displayed.

This iexplore.exe process seems to even run under safe mode with networking support. Attempted to attach a screen shot of sysinternals process explorer. Not much else is running and can only think it is deep routed in the system.

attachment.php

This is the output of hijackthis in safe mode. Gather it lists all of the run and service settings even if they are not running. Not sure if it of any help.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 20:27:14, on 22/07/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.17055)
Boot mode: Safe mode with network support

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R3 - URLSearchHook: McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - {0EBBBE48-BAD4-4B4C-8E5A-516ABECAE064} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLASHX_W.DLL
O2 - BHO: McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO - {B164E929-A1B6-4A06-B104-2CD0E90A88FF} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - {0EBBBE48-BAD4-4B4C-8E5A-516ABECAE064} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinVNC] "C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\WinVNC.exe" -servicehelper
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VoiceCenter] "C:\Program Files\Creative\VoiceCenter\AndreaVC.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\Program Files\McAfee\SpamKiller\MSKDetct.exe /uninstall
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\udaterui.exe" /StartedFromRunKey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MBMon] Rundll32 CTMBHA.DLL,MBMon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\khalshared\KHALMNPR.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\isuspm.exe" -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAAnotif] C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eBook Library Launcher] C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\launcher\Reader Library Launcher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DMXLauncher] C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\DMXLauncher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLA] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLACTRLW.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DACSMiniApp] C:\Program Files\Fisher-Price\DACS\MiniApp\DACSMiniApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TomTomHOME.exe] "C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMERunner.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SetDefaultMIDI] MIDIDef.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Eraser] C:\Program Files\Eraser\eraser.exe -hide
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] "C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe" /R
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [FlashPlayerUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10d.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [FlashPlayerUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10d.exe (User 'Default user')
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {264AED84-12F1-4CA1-8AA7-EB939AE58D8D} (STCWeb Control) - https://connect.ntw.nhs.uk/CACHE/stc/1/binaries/stcweb.cab
O16 - DPF: {55963676-2F5E-4BAF-AC28-CF26AA587566} (Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client Web Control) - https://connect.ntw.nhs.uk/CACHE/stc/1/binaries/vpnweb.cab
O16 - DPF: {6C269571-C6D7-4818-BCA4-32A035E8C884} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://www.creative.com/softwareupdate/su/ocx/15101/CTSUEng.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1168556529235
O16 - DPF: {705EC6D4-B138-4079-A307-EF13E40C2416} (InstallerWeb Control) - https://connect.ntw.nhs.uk/CACHE/sdesktop/install/binaries/instweb.cab
O16 - DPF: {82774781-8F4E-11D1-AB1C-0000F8773BF0} (DLC Class) - https://transfers.ds.microsoft.com/FTM/TransferSource/grTransferCtrl.cab
O16 - DPF: {D821DC4A-0814-435E-9820-661C543A4679} (CRLDownloadWrapper Class) - http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/crlupdate/en/crlocx.ocx
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/softwareupdate/su/ocx/15106/CTPID.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{D7BA784D-4549-4855-9A4F-8A47DFF21CA8}: NameServer = 192.168.0.1
O18 - Protocol: dssrequest - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O18 - Protocol: sacore - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® Quick Resume Technology Drivers (ELService) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel(R) Quick Resume Technology\ELService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMon) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaantmon.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Oracle - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SiteAdvisor Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\McSACore.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Engine Service (McAfeeEngineService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\EngineServer.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee McShield (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\Mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Manager (McTaskManager) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\VsTskMgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service (mfevtp) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfevtps.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SCSI Helper Service - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\Fsk\SonySCSIHelperService.exe
O23 - Service: TomTomHOMEService - TomTom - C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMEService.exe
O23 - Service: VMware Authorization Service (VMAuthdService) - VMware, Inc. - C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Server\vmware-authd.exe
O23 - Service: VMware DHCP Service (VMnetDHCP) - VMware, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vmnetdhcp.exe
O23 - Service: VMware Virtual Mount Manager Extended (vmount2) - VMware, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Image Editing\vmount2.exe
O23 - Service: VMware Registration Service (vmserverdWin32) - VMware, Inc. - C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Server\vmserverdWin32.exe
O23 - Service: VMware NAT Service - VMware, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vmnat.exe
O23 - Service: VNC Server (winvnc) - UltraVNC - C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\WinVNC.exe

--
End of file - 11207 bytes

Attachments

• 2010-07-22_203020.jpg
    2010-07-22_203020.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 15
Bobbye

Think I may have finally found it. Apologies for going against normal instructions but after a while searching your boards tried the esagelab bootkit remover which found a none standard boot code on my local hard disk. Ran another mbr scanner against it which detected Whistler bootkit.

After backing up the MBR, used the esagelab tool to clean my hard disk and the external drive which also appears to have been affected. Following a reboot all looks great with no iexplore.exe processing starting now.

Just running latestMalwarebytes Anti-Malware to scan the system. Let me know if there is anything else you suggest I need to do to confirm it is clean and to tidy up any relating log files.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jon

That would have been the next program. Please just run this online scan and if it's clean, I'll have you remove the cleaning tools. Since you ran the Bootkit Remover, the current logs are no longer applicable.

Run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus scan HEREhttp://www.eset.eu/online-scanner
  1. Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  2. Click Start
  3. When asked, allow the Active X control to install
  4. Disable your current Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock.
  5. Click Start
  6. Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is checked
  7. Click Scan
  8. Wait for the scan to finish
  9. Re-enable your Antivirus software.
  10. A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please include this on your post.

Please do NOT have entries removed in Eset.

Looking good. Scanned using MalwareBytes Anymalware, McAfee and the NOD32 as mentioned. Below is log from NOD32 but not much has come up, only restore point and old utility in a backup. Reran bootkit scanner and both disks still looking clear following reboot.

Let me know what else needs to be done.

Thanks

Jon

NOD32 log

ESETSmartInstaller@High as downloader log:
all ok
# version=7
# OnlineScannerApp.exe=1.0.0.1
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6211
# api_version=3.0.2
# EOSSerial=bd23e05219131f40a42b6dc530c33bf9
# end=finished
# remove_checked=false
# archives_checked=false
# unwanted_checked=true
# unsafe_checked=false
# antistealth_checked=true
# utc_time=2010-07-23 07:10:18
# local_time=2010-07-23 08:10:18 (+0000, GMT Daylight Time)
# country="United Kingdom"
# lang=1033
# osver=5.1.2600 NT Service Pack 3
# compatibility_mode=512 16777215 100 0 421638 421638 0 0
# compatibility_mode=8192 67108863 100 0 681132 681132 0 0
# scanned=235108
# found=2
# cleaned=0
# scan_time=7044
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{129201FA-B0AC-49B3-96B2-DEB8B91E727B}\RP472\A0086896.dll a variant of Win32/Kryptik.FOX trojan 00000000000000000000000000000000 I
F:\OldLaptopBackup\Allwork\Scripts\RemInstall\utils\rsoon.exe probably unknown NewHeur_PE virus 00000000000000000000000000000000 I

Jon, did you connect an infected flash drive to the computer? Kind of looks like it!

Please download OTMovit by Old Timer and save to your desktop.
  • Double-click OTMoveIt3.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTMoveit3.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Copy the file paths below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):

Code:
    :Processes	

:Services

:Reg

:Files  
    F:\OldLaptopBackup\Allwork\Scripts\RemInstall\utils\rsoon.exe 
    :Commands
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [start explorer]
    [Reboot]
  • Return to OTMoveIt3, right click in the "Paste Instructions for Items to be Moved" window and choose Paste.
  • Click the red Moveit! button.
  • A log of files and folders moved will be created in the c:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles folder in the form of Date and Time (mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log). Please open this log in Notepad and post its contents in your next reply.
  • Close OTMoveIt3
If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the move process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

Bobbye

I added my external hard disk to do the full scan as well. The AV just seems to have picked up a restore point and an old utility from a backup. I will see about running your script and get back to you.

Thanks

Ran MoveIT as instructed, here is the log after reboot.

All processes killed
========== PROCESSES ==========
========== SERVICES/DRIVERS ==========
========== REGISTRY ==========
========== FILES ==========
F:\OldLaptopBackup\Allwork\Scripts\RemInstall\utils\rsoon.exe moved successfully.
========== COMMANDS ==========

[EMPTYTEMP]

User: Administrator
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes

User: All Users

User: Daniel
->FireFox cache emptied: 0 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 0 bytes

User: Debra
->Temp folder emptied: 1647592 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 6169886 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 0 bytes
->FireFox cache emptied: 40259611 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 796 bytes

User: Default User

User: Jon
->Temp folder emptied: 8125269 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 6095765 bytes
->FireFox cache emptied: 89850116 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 3872 bytes

User: Kate

User: LocalService
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 91824488 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 1717 bytes

User: NetworkService
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 32902 bytes

User: remote

%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\dllcache .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\drivers .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
Windows Temp folder emptied: 29532283 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes
RecycleBin emptied: 2492 bytes

Total Files Cleaned = 261.00 mb

OTM by OldTimer - Version 3.1.15.0 log created on 07282010_211345

Files moved on Reboot...
C:\Documents and Settings\Jon\Local Settings\Temp\clclean.0001.dir.0003\~df394b.tmp moved successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jon\Local Settings\Temp\clclean.0001.dir.0003\~efe2.tmp moved successfully.

Registry entries deleted on Reboot...

If nothing new has come up, you can clean up the programs and logs:

Removing all of the tools we used and the files and folders they created
  • Uninstall ComboFix and all Backups of the files it deleted
  • Click START> then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.
    CF_Uninstall-1.jpg
  • Download OTCleanIt by OldTimer and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click OTCleanIt.exe.
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes.

Note: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTC attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.
  • You should now set a new Restore Point and remove the old restore points to prevent infection from any previous Restore Points.
  • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools
  • Click "System Restore".
  • Choose "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next".
  • Give the Restore Point a name> click "Create".
  • Go back and follow the path to > System Tools.
    [*]Choose Disc Cleanup
    [*]Click "OK" to select the partition or drive you want.
    [*]Click the "More Options" Tab.
    [*]Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous Restore Points except the newly created one.

Empty the Recycle Bin

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back