Another PSU question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll looking for bit advise about upgrading my PSU I'm looking at getting a Thermaltake Silent Butterfly 480 for my system as the current WinPower can't cope, but I'm not sure if the amps are high enuff.

The Tt runs at 480w
+12v - 18a
+5 - 40a
+3.3 - 30a

Or a
Beanteck 500w
+12v - 35a
+5v - 30a
+3.3v - 32a

My rig
Athlon XP 3000 @ 2.17ghz
MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR
1024mb RAM PC3200
MSI Geforce 5400 128mb video card
2 Samsung 120Gb SATA - RAID 1
NEC CD-ROM
MSI CD-RW

Cooling fans
Thermaltake Silent Boost
Cooler master 80mm
Maplin system blower on PCI slot 3

Cheers

Get the Antec TruePower 550W PSU...I just bought one and this thing is a beast...you don't even need the model with the front panel control...and they are priced great as well...

You recon 18A is too low? I'd have 18A minumum, but wouldnt worry too much about it unless your running lots of HDs,etc. If 18A is too low nic, what do you consider minamium stable/good amps to be on the 12v line?

35A is through the roof [that other psu you listed]..... I take it as that one is quite expensive $100+?

I've never herad of "WinPower", but if its not generic, I'd figure 480w with 18A on the 12v line should be doing you quite well :confused:

Take a look at Enermax's line of PSUs. They are really good quality and they don't bust the wallet... Antec is reliable but expensive...

Just remember that with some cheap PSUs even though an adequate maximum output is shown for the +12V and +5V circuits, there can be an upper limit set on the combined output that renders that information not applicable.

Best to buy quality units from manufacturers such as Antec, Enermax, and Sparkle.

Eric,
http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm

Read this https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=377 and it will give you a better understanding of what you need to look for in a PSU. Be sure to read all the links within as well.

As for brands, only buy reputable brands from companies who will stand behind their product. Some good brands already mentioned are Enermax(my top recommendation) and Antec.
Sparkle is ok, though many people seem to have a problem with them.
Fortron is junk. I have never had a good experience with a Fortron, usually my experience is going to a client and replacing a toasted one.

18A is pushing it close. I would have to agree with Nic in saying it is too low because most high end systems with top end graphics and several drives just need more than that. 21A is usually sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back