Antec LanBoy Air ATX Case Review

Same old DSLR that I have used in all my other reviews, but thank you!

Nice review, Steve. With all those power tools, I thought you were disassembling the original Ironman suit rather than the LanBoy Air :). Unfortunately, I'm that gamer with multiple hard drives who also happens to work in a fairly dust-prone environment. I'm gonna have to give this case a pass and maybe look into getting a Corsair case for my next build.

LanBoy... meh...

To me Lanboy should have been something more like LianLi/Silverstone type of mini-ITX case...
having in mind gigabyte's H55N-USB3 with nice i5 and juicy GPU... that kind of build I would consider as a LAN machine...

I would rather call this "CageBoy"... :D

At first glance I thought cool! and then my nerd brain kicked in with all the issues this would have. I was gonna post them but Steve got them all. lol!

But what I don't really get is if this case is designed for air then why even bother with having the holes for watercooling. Also, why even have the handles if you have to unplug and replug the HDs every time you move.

Hopefully they'll throw this back into the thinktank and maybe come up with something better.

You'd think they would have learned when the original antec 900 became a vacuum replacement. Now their cases use dust filters. I fail to see why this one doesn't.

Good review, and you mentioned the two biggest things that came to my mind the instant i saw the pictures of this thing... how on earth are the case fans going to do anything, and it's going to be a huge pain to clean the dust out of it. They obviously wanted the look of grates and screens everywhere, but it must make the case fans just about worthless. They wont' be able to create any air pressure to force the warm air out. maybe I just don't get it.

And i'd still need to get over owning a case called 'LanBoy'. Makes the Thermaltake Armor look MUCH more appealing. https://www.techspot.com/review/355-thermaltake-armor-a30/

Now those tools you have there for size comparison, are those the regular 16 oz ..or the 20 oz?

Now those tools you have there for size comparison, are those the regular 16 oz ..or the 20 oz?

Red please don’t be silly, it’s obvious they are the 20 oz models. Haha

I really hope no one else knows that you are on about or we will end up with another 3 pages of crap LOL thanks for the laugh though :)

Almost as tacky as mine ey Chef? ::wave:
???
Isn't yours an acrylic ? If so, then I'd probably put it in the challenging category- cable management/hiding, easily scratched and cooling (plexi being an insulator rather than a radiator of heat) come to mind.
I thought your other chassis were a HAF 932 (rather a good chassis I think) and a DF-85 ? (the need to mount the PSU upside down and pulling hot air off the graphics card doesn't thrill me but seems serviceable)

Now, if you're talking non-performance parts (CCFL's), that's an entirely different matter...

Each to their own I guess.
I have built a few systems with CCFL's -they just don't appeal on a personal level. Most builds I put together for people who want a windowed and highlighted case I now steer towards getting smaller individual LED spotlighting of components (fixed mount) or sheaving an individual LED/Halogen cable in flexi narrow-guage steel shower tubing for a flexible mount (handy for changing out parts if you plug the light into a second PSU or bridge the pinouts on the 24pin ATX).

I generally find that fully lit builds can be a little obtrusive. They also tend to highlight everything -including the boring bits- to the extent that highlighting everything is, to a degree highlighting nothing since everything is highlighted equally -if you get my drift.

Brick Tamland: "I love lamp."

haha how things go off topic fast, but still a fun read, continue:)

Back