Any articles on here about desk/office chairs?

Squid Surprise

I've noticed a few articles on gaming chairs whenever some new one comes out... I was wondering if Techspot had written any articles on "best chair" or some such... perhaps with categories like "Office", "Gaming", "Home PC"... And choices for high-end, mid-range and low-end.

I've heard everyone talking about Aeron chairs - which are north of $1000 and would obviously be in the high-end category... I know there are other tech sites that do these types of articles - do we?

--> Currently sitting in a used Okamura (Teknion) Contessa that I picked up for $20 and I love it :)

We've never considered office or gaming chairs for major coverage, however for a while I was geeking it out when it came to chairs since I seemed to broke every one I owned.

Then for the past 12+ years I have used two Aeron chairs that are still like new. So if the price seems outrageous I can attest to their durability and quality. You don't need the chrome or fully adjustable versions either, so you can find them for less, too:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=aeron+chair&ref=nb_sb_noss

At the office we are using a cheaper alternative called Celle, also from Herman Miller. Well built and good quality, but a tad less comfortable. I think it's now discontinued.

I personally find most gaming chairs cheap, just from the looks of them but I'm sure there are very good/decent selection if you do your research right.

I've heard really good things of other chairs offered by Herman Miller (Embody, Sayl, others), same for Steelcase. They seem to be simply really well designed and built. If you spend enough time sitting and know these will last for a decade like mine has, it's money well spent.

HM makes quality commercial furniture :)
They do... After about a year now, I've decided that - for me personally - the Teknion Contessa is superior to the Aeron chair... This is solely because the Aeron has a hard "rim" at the edge of the seat which I find slightly digs into my thighs (my cousin, on the other hand, LOVES her Aeron and says the rim keeps her from sliding off the chair).

If you are in the market for a high-end chair, there is no substitute for actually sitting in them and seeing how it feels... Also, much like a mattress, "first feel" may differ after several days or weeks... or months...

Back