Any chance my components are dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t3hOutlaw

*pats self on the back*

Well, I was clever enough to flip the switch on the back of my PSU to change the voltage while it was still plugged into the mains.

It tripped the circuit breakers in my house and my PC didn't come back to life.

I replaced a fuse that exlpoded in my power cable and tried plugging it back in and at that moment blue sparks came flying out of the PSU.

I know my power supply is dead, I've just ordered a new one but my question is..

Would there be any chance that all my components are dead?

"Would there be any chance that all my components are dead?"

Not all components are dead...

Since you use the word "mains" is your wall plug voltage 220 volts, 50Hz? Did you switch the power supply to 115 volts and plug it into your wall outlet? If so, you fried the power supply and maybe the motherboard too, but the other components should be ok. Replace the power supply making sure you have selected the 220v setting before plugging it in. We use 115 volts 60Hz

"Would there be any chance that all my components are dead?"

Not all components are dead...

Since you use the word "mains" is your wall plug voltage 220 volts, 50Hz? Did you switch the power supply to 115 volts and plug it into your wall outlet? If so, you fried the power supply and maybe the motherboard too, but the other components should be ok. Replace the power supply making sure you have selected the 220v setting before plugging it in. We use 115 volts 60Hz

Yup. I'm European so I'm meant to be on 220v in which I stupidly switched to 115.

No need to ouote the post right under your post... replace the power supply and hopefully all else will be ok. If it is still dead, the motherboard will be the next thing to replace

Ok, I'll see how replacing the PSU goes..

Quick question.. Are there any visible signs I could look out for to see if my motherboard is dead before I get my new PSU?

Raised, popped , buckled or leaking capacitors are a definite give away

2.jpg

I'm sure Tmagic650 will have some other indicators too :)

You most likely smelled an electrical burning smell from the blown power supply, so smelling the motherboard may be difficult. You don't have to see blown or bulging caps to have a damaged motherboard. Many of these "bulging" motherboards will sitll boot up. lets hope your motherboard is still good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back