Any harm to hardware in soft-resesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

chessonly

By soft-reset I am referring to the button on the cpu that instantly reboots the pc.
IS there any harm to the hardware in repeatedly using the option ?

It may have a negative impact on windows..but does soft reseting affect any desktop component ?

I would say that its harmless to the hardware. Most of the harm happens on the initial surge of power and the spin up of mechanical components, but on the soft reset that doesn't happen because they are already spinning/powered up. Should be fine.

I have no proof its fine, but logically it makes sense.

Hi, Chessonly, why do u reboot linux like that, it wont be affected but it can easily destroy your filesystem and if its ext2, then i wont last long before it starts giving u errors at startup in verbose, i think u should follow the right proceed if u dont know how to shutdown like, then i suggest that u go to console and do the following,
#su
enter root password
# halt

that should do the trick, but if u dont have admin rights, then that means that u need to ask you admin to give u shutdown rights, which is actually supposed to be for all unless its a university or campus machine or even organisation.
Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back