Any non-apple hard drive or SSHD for iMacs?

rodion15

I heard there's some SSHD you can fit into an iMac 2011 or other iMacs so that you don't need to fit in any temperature sensor cable (such as OWC) nor software to avoid fans from blaring up.

IMO, you're taking the wrong approach - - those fans are your friends. If they're too noisy, look for replacements.

Then it beats the sugar out of me what your complaining about :sigh:

I heard there's some SSHD you can fit into an iMac 2011 or other iMacs so that you don't need to fit in any temperature sensor cable (such as OWC) nor software to avoid fans from blaring up.
First, the only current product you could semi-accurately call an "SSHD", would be a "hybrid" drive, marketed by Seagate, and possibly other. Otherwise "HDD" for mechanical, and "SSD" for solid state.
Here's a link to one of those so you can judge for yourself if you think they're full of poop regarding the concept. .http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=seagate_hybrid_drive-_-22-178-381-_-Product

In all honesty, I don't believe most solid state drives even require a cooling fan. The newer models power consumption is ridiculously low compared to standard HDDs. Thus very little current drawn, very little heat produced. If the computer's case in question has flow through ventilation, I don't see much of a problem. Of course if we're dealing with high capacity SSD, the heat produced would go up as the capacity increases. (Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here).

Rosewill offers this 3 1/2" to 2 1/2" mounting adapter which includes a small fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997035 Many reviewers however, feel the fan is unnecessary

Of course I admittedly know less than nothing about Apple's specific quirks and fan control systems, so take this post FWIW.

Last edited:
The deal is, Apple decided that it wants to read the temperature of the hard drive and adjust fan speed based on that. Sounds logical, except that apparently if you replace the hard drive the one you are replacing with doesn't give the data to OS X the way it expects (if even at all?) and then OS X flips out and says, 'something is wrong, better max these things out!" and the fan speed is set at 100%.

So the deal is, nope, you can't replace it with a non Apple drive without the fans maxing out (afaik), but you can keep the fans from doing so, an app like HDD Fan Control should do it. I'm not going to link it because the whole question almost seems like a shady ad for HDD Fan Control, but just incase it isn't I replied with some insight.

Back