Anyone know how to fix PSU?

monkeychef23

Alright, so I got a raidmax 500W psu with a Raidmax case that I got last year. It was working great until a few days ago when it started to randomly shut down, and eventually would not turn back on. I ordered a new psu from newegg a two days ago, but I would really like to get back to my games and school work over the weekend.

So what I am asking is does anyone know how to temporarily fix a psu that will last for just a few days.

If you think that trying to fix it isn't worth my time or if it will damage the other components in the computer, then please tell me. I just would really like to have access to a good computer over the next 2 days.

NO....! Don't even think about it! You're liable to take out the motherboard if you continue to screw around with it!

"There are no user serviceable components inside"! (I'm quoting the old standard warning for all transistor electronics here).

In the meantime, you should also seek out someone who can help you with your computer addiction.....! :rolleyes:

Thanks captain.

I read the label, but it seems that people love to hack, fix, change, make, etc. so I thought, "hey, maybe someone has successfully repaired their psu with common household parts."

And that computer addiction, it getting worse every minute. I guess I will just have to try and play my games on my dad's laptop.

By the way every computer book I read last year in college said DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX PSU IF YOU ARE NOT CERTIFIED and did not offer any advice on them because unless you really know what your doing it is incredibly dangerous. Even when left unplugged for days they can still hold a lethal charge, the same can be said for monitors.

captaincranky said:
You're liable to take out the motherboard if you continue to screw around with it!
For all we know that could have already happened. As you know when the power supply fails it can take out other components at the same time.

By the way, for those who are really computer addicted, you should already have three, four or more PCs already. :)

I hope to god that it didn't fry my mobo. My mom already hates this DIY enough due to the small problems it has had, but that would only make it worse (I'm only 16, so still with my parents.)

As for the addiction, well...my parents won't let me purchase my own computer/laptop, so we have a compaq from 2000 and this crap laptop with intel graphics.

Get With It......

so we have a compaq from 2000 and this crap laptop with intel graphics.
"Crap", plus "Laptop", equals, "Craptop"....!

(Or at least that's how I fondly refer to mine.(Toshiba "Satellite", 15.6" screen Celeron 2,2Ghz, Vista basic)). This was a closeout @ $299.95, just before win 7 hit the street, with no free upgrade to Win 7.

When the salesgirl at Best Buy heard me refer to the machine in this way, she asked me, "are you sure you want this"?

"Yes", I replied, "I just don't want the other s*** you're trying to sell me with it".

to easy and cheap to replace. Too dangerous to fix (and there isn't anything a consumer could fix anyway)

Having built shortwave systems, anything can be fixed - - IF YOU KNOW HOW AND HAVE THE EQUIPEMENT

For your own safety however, and as
There are no user serviceable components inside
you're better off leaving well enough alone and just replacing the entire PSU.

Don't be foolish nor in a rush - - it can be deadly! :dead:

Back