AOC's new G-Sync monitor offers both 1440p@144Hz and 1080p@240Hz

midian182

Staff member

If you want a monitor with a blisteringly fast refresh rate, it usually comes down to a choice of a 1440p display that can manage around 144Hz or a 1080p monitor that can go up to 240Hz. But with AOC’s new Agon AG251FG, you can have both.

Simply put, the monitor offers a choice of a higher resolution or an (even) faster refresh rate. Meaning users can decide what display mode to choose based on the game they’re playing. The AG251FG also comes with a response time of just 1ms and features Nvidia’s G-Sync technology for smooth, blur-free gaming.

The monitor boasts a 50,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, four USB 3.0 ports, 400 nits brightness, and connections for DisplayPort, HDMI, and headphones.

There are, however, some caveats with the AG251FG. Firstly, it’s a TN panel, which means the viewing angles – 170 degrees horizontal and 160 degrees vertical – and colors can’t match an IPS display. It’s also just 24.5 inches, which could put off most gamers who prefer 27-inch monitors and larger, especially for 1440p. Finally, the price – around $674 based on a conversion from pounds – seems quite expensive for a TN.

Despite the drawbacks, there will likely be interest in AOC’s product as it features the best everything a TN panel can offer in one package. Ultimately, it may come down to how much you value 240Hz. Asus’ brilliant ROG Swift PG279Q, which remains our top monitor for gaming, is a 2560 x 1440 IPS G-Sync display that’s overclockable to 165Hz – though it’s a few hundred dollars more expensive, admittedly.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, these prices are just insane. we need g-sync to be cheaper. I don't want to spend the same amount on a monitor and a mid-range gaming rig....

So is the 1080p240 just downscaled, or does it legit offer a whole other lot of pixels at 1080p sort of layered with the 1440p? Because that'd be insane to have real dynamic resolutions, but if its downscaling to 1080p it will only really be 720p with anti aliasing.

Yeah, these prices are just insane. we need g-sync to be cheaper. I don't want to spend the same amount on a monitor and a mid-range gaming rig....

We need AMD to roll out legitimate competition at the high end. THAT will drive Nvidia's prices down.

I'm curious (can someone comment?) how video cards can handle refresh rates like 240 Hz. I looked under 'Modes" for my card and there are none for refresh rates like this. Does this just mean my card is too old?

I'm curious (can someone comment?) how video cards can handle refresh rates like 240 Hz. I looked under 'Modes" for my card and there are none for refresh rates like this. Does this just mean my card is too old?
I think its only supported by displayPort, and the settings in your driver software might be enabled or disabled based on card/connection/monitor

How is AOC? Does anyone have one?
Are they built well?
I have an AOC I2369VM IPS monitor and an AOC G2460FQ 144hz monitor. I am very satisfied with both, and can only recommend it. I am using it for gaming like CSGO, BF3&4, Starcraft 2, NFS, HOMM6, etc...Great value for the money.
I would buy them again. Both stands are a little wobbly though, so if you are sensitive about that, you should look for a different model.

I think its only supported by displayPort, and the settings in your driver software might be enabled or disabled based on card/connection/monitor
THANK YOU! I found a mini-DP to DP cable in my box of parts, used it instead of the supplied HDMI cable and now it not only runs at the proper refresh rate, but there are many more options. Even think it looks a bit better (picture)

I just can't use TN panels and never could. Thankfully these days there are fast IPS panels out and about. You can find 144Hz IPS panels from ASUS if you absolutely NEED that high refresh rate.

I myself have ALWAYS went with professional grade IPS panels (and a few S-PVA panels back in the day). I just can't take TN's horrible viewing angles and color uniformity. I do a lot of things besides gaming. For a long time I had to deal with input lag issues but when the Ultrasharp 2410 launched, it offered a Game mode that significantly lowered the input lag enough to make gaming on it very nice.

Now I just bought a new 4K LG UD69PW IPS display that has a 6ms response time and support for Freesync. Yeah it only does 4K at 60Hz but this panel is calibrated at the factory and is a very high quality panel with incredible viewing angles and color reproduction. Even with GTX 970 SLI I couldn't make much use of more than 60Hz at 4K anyway. Perhaps if I had two 1080 Ti's...

Of course gaming at 60 FPS has always been enough for me. I just prefer better image quality since I do much more than gaming. I am glad this new display handles gaming well with a good response time and very low input lag for an IPS panel. Games in 4K are incredible I have to say.

Back