Apex Legends' revenue falls significantly for second month in a row

midian182

TechSpot Editor
Staff member

Apex Legends' arrival was phenomenal. It attracted 25 million players in the first week, eventually reaching the 50 million milestone. The game brought in a massive $92 million during its February launch month, a record for a free-to-play title. But according to analytics company SuperData Research, Apex Legends made $24 million during April, which it says is “down significantly for the second month in a row.” Its monthly revenue is now just over a quarter of what it saw during February.

Apex Legends’ revenue looked likely to drop following a release that saw EA pay Ninja $1 million to promote it, but the speed and scale of the fall is drastic. The game wasn’t even in the top ten grossing titles for PC or console last month.

It’s not only Apex Legends’ revenue that is going in the wrong direction. Its Twitch streams, which peaked at 40 million hours viewed during the first week, have now dropped to 10 million hours, while rival Fortnite has remained at 22 million hours.

There are several probable reasons behind Apex Legends falling out of favor, including bugs and cheaters, though other battle royale titles such as PUBG faced, and often still face, the same issues. The bigger problem is the lack of new content. Many were disappointed by the bland rewards in the season one battle pass, and players are clamoring for a new map to be added to the current single offering.

Something that will doubtlessly increase Apex Legends’ money-making potential is its expansion to the mobile platform, which EA has confirmed is in the works.

Permalink to story.

ShObiT

TS Maniac
It was expected, do these "Analyst" analyze the "New S#it effect"?. After the fact a new Status Quo is established. Concurrent revenue is the one they expect to be on a certain level.

ghostf1re

TS Guru
I played a single game of this when it came out and I knew it wasn't for me. I just don't like the Battle Royale format. I just never have. I prefer good old fashioned Team Deathmatch or other classic game modes. Apex has a good feel to its gameplay, but I just don't care for that type of game and I suspect a lot others are burned out on the genre in general.

texasrattler

TS Evangelist
I don't think people are burned out on Apex or the BR aspect, it's fairly simple just as the article states. It's the bugs that have been there since day 1, the cheating (as always) but lack of adding anything new is a problem. Games have to stay relevant fast, it didn't and users are moving on but people will come back if or when things get better.
Imo Apex Legends should have never ever been released in it's current state. It simply wasn't ready. EA got a bunch of money but that's all any will remember if Respawn don't start adding new content and quickly fix some bugs that have been around awhile.
If things don't change people will say EA messed up another game and wasted money on paying stupid streamers (which wasn't needed), money which should have went towards fixing the game.

DukeJukem

TS Booster
"Something that will doubtlessly increase Apex Legends’ money-making potential is its expansion to the mobile platform, which EA has confirmed is in the works."

Donald Trump seriously needs to get on this garbage like yesterday. EA or ANY OTHER COMPANY should not be allowed to make a mobile version of their already microtransaction infested game that is riddled with bugs no content AND A FORCED PAYWALL IF YOU WANT SKINS. You're dumping your resources into a GARBAGE mobile game when you should be fixing the PC version and adding content to it and making it great but instead you're going after making a STUPID PHONE GAME that no real adult will give 2 dog poops about.

Why is this type of behavior allowed in the gaming industry? I can't just make a car with no stereo, horn or windshield that has bugs in it that causes your wheels to turn 90 degrees at random thus putting you in the wall etc......I can't do that but a video game that follows those same guidelines......totally acceptable.

fix this garbage yesterday trump. get on it.

Adhmuz

TechSpot Paladin
"Something that will doubtlessly increase Apex Legends’ money-making potential is its expansion to the mobile platform, which EA has confirmed is in the works."

Donald Trump seriously needs to get on this garbage like yesterday. EA or ANY OTHER COMPANY should not be allowed to make a mobile version of their already microtransaction infested game that is riddled with bugs no content AND A FORCED PAYWALL IF YOU WANT SKINS. You're dumping your resources into a GARBAGE mobile game when you should be fixing the PC version and adding content to it and making it great but instead you're going after making a STUPID PHONE GAME that no real adult will give 2 dog poops about.

Why is this type of behavior allowed in the gaming industry? I can't just make a car with no stereo, horn or windshield that has bugs in it that causes your wheels to turn 90 degrees at random thus putting you in the wall etc......I can't do that but a video game that follows those same guidelines......totally acceptable.

fix this garbage yesterday trump. get on it.
Very few comments get me to laugh as hard as this comment has. Thank you ( :

Reactions: Lionvibez

Trillionsin

TS Evangelist
Without even reading this article, DUH!

I've played to level 100+ and Season level 110+

There's absolutely nothing else I can really get out of this game as far as anything rewarding besides from being the champion, of course.

Now, if I want to start buying apex coins or w/e, all I could really hope for is enough crafting materials for a very few specific skins that I would even consider spending them on, but it's really not worth the money, of course, it's all superficial and means squat. Only thing that really means much is the badges and those you earn, not buy.

I've been getting really bored with the lack of updates. Whether it's fixing glitches, or adding additional content. I still have around 30 days of this season... (I think I finished with 60 days left) and that's been pretty disappointing, you get level ups, but the season stops at 110 and you get absolutely nothing after that. No apex packs, or anything...

They really need to add in some new legends, and multiple of them. If they only add one, EVERYONE is going to want to play only that one for the next few months, simply because it's finally something new. lol They have already stated that they are going to release them slowly, as to not "over saturate players with too much OC"