Apex Legends surpasses 50 million players in first month

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Bolstered by the explosive popularity of the battle royale genre, online streaming and competitive gameplay, few games have grown as quickly as Apex Legends. It's really been a perfect storm for Respawn and EA. One can only wonder if the momentum will continue or if a sudden shift will steer the community in a different direction.

Apex Legends set the gaming world on fire in February. Just one week after launch, the battle royale game from Respawn Entertainment and Electronic Arts managed to attract a staggering 25 million players.

In the three weeks that have since eclipsed, another 25 million gamers have come aboard, pushing the total player count north of 50 million. For a game that’s been on the market for exactly one month, that’s mind-boggling.

Respawn and EA confirmed the news this morning on Twitter.

Fortnite, by comparison, passed the 200 million registered user mark last November. Granted, it took more than a year for Epic to attract that many players. Apex Legends amassed a quarter of that number in just one month.

Even more impressive is the fact that Apex Legends is available on just three platforms – Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Windows PC. Fortnite is also playable on those platforms as well as Android, iOS, macOS and Nintendo Switch.

A video accompanying the Twitter reveal highlighted a handful of player accomplishments including 170 million respawns activated, 31 billion pings placed, 158 million finishers used, 1.223 billion Ultimates activated and at least 16.5 million death box graveyards found. You can download Apex Legends here.

Permalink to story.

It's my go-to PC game at the moment, really enjoying it. Lag spikes seem to be a frequent thing, but otherwise the gameplay is pretty dialed in.

But the biggest turn off for me so far is the community. More and more toxic Fortnite refugees are making their way over, spouting racial and homophobic slurs galore. I have thick skin, but how does one find any enjoyment while berating their own teammates? Tempted to turn off global chat and just stick to pins and text chat.

Oh, and I'm waiting for EA to ruin it. Any minute now...

Last edited:
It's my go-to PC game at the moment, really enjoying it. Lag spikes seem to be a frequent thing, but otherwise the gameplay is pretty dialed in.

But the biggest turn off for me so far is the community. More and more toxic Fortnite refugees are making their way over, spouting racial and homophobic slurs galore. I have thick skin, but how does one find any enjoyment while berating their own teammates? Tempted to turn off global chat and just stick to pins and text chat.

The game needs a skill rating system as well. Throwing a bunch of random people together with varying skill levels isn't the best way to make a lobby. It's not fun getting owned by the twitch streamer who plays over 12 hours each day nor is it fun killing first time players who are just figuring out the game.

The game needs a skill rating system as well. Throwing a bunch of random people together with varying skill levels isn't the best way to make a lobby. It's not fun getting owned by the twitch streamer who plays over 12 hours each day nor is it fun killing first time players who are just figuring out the game.

Couldn't agree more! With being this massively popular they could easily separate by level.

I... honestly haven't run into any toxic people in the game yet.

My biggest gripe is sometimes the game would just randomly shut down. It tends to happen when I am doing well too D:

Where's the surprise here, it's free-to-play, and they are jumping on the battle-royale hyp train of course it's going to have a lot of players.

Ranked is suppose to be coming this month. New legends too. So we'll see how it all goes.

They got a big problem with those 50 million players, a good chunk crash out of game. Some of it's the video card drivers, a lot of it is the game. Half the time the game has been out, it's had crashing issues.

I... honestly haven't run into any toxic people in the game yet.

My biggest gripe is sometimes the game would just randomly shut down. It tends to happen when I am doing well too D:
There's plenty of toxicity but no game can or will ever stop it. Even more so the voice/headset chatter. People will say stuff, part of gaming. Either deal with it, leave n rejoin a new game or **** talk back.

Cheating isn't as bad as some other games but they are out there. Dev has done good so far at making sure game isn't too disrupted, we'll see how long that lasts though. Aimbotting and macros have been seen as have wallhacks.

Last edited:

One of the most common error messages that causes the game to shut down is linked with your system's paging file, believe it or not. Anyone with a custom defined paging file size is likely to run into issues. If you set it to system managed, that particular error goes away.

It is a f2p game, so obviously everybody is trying it.

Bribing a few youtubers and twitch streamers to play your game always works.

This game does not offer anything new, so it is just sad.

It is like during the dayz clones area but now, they realise their games are so bad no one would pay for them so their only chance to make money is by exploiting people stupidity and their need to show off, so microtransactions with skins, here they come. The facebook selfie generation is just..I have no words.

Having classes/champions/heroes in an FPS game makes actual aiming not the deciding factor in a fight which is something I don't like but at least it ain't Fortnite.

so their only chance to make money is by exploiting people stupidity and their need to show off, so microtransactions with skins, here they come. The facebook selfie generation is just..I have no words.

I'm okay with this. It makes the game totally free for me. Thanks kids!

One of the most common error messages that causes the game to shut down is linked with your system's paging file, believe it or not. Anyone with a custom defined paging file size is likely to run into issues. If you set it to system managed, that particular error goes away.

I'll look into that. I think my page file was customized for some games that were crashing previously

I'll look into that. I think my page file was customized for some games that were crashing previously

Another thing you can try is to make sure that Easy Anti Cheat restarts if the service crashes.
Task Manager -> click 'Services' tab -> R-click any service and click 'Open Services' -> look for EasyAntiCheat -> R-click go to 'Properties' -> click 'Recovery' tab -> Change 'First/Second/Subsequent failure' to 'Restart the service'

I also started running the game in borderless window mode and changed the paging file to be system managed. Since then my crashes have stopped.

Nah bro, I have been playing Apex Legends ever since it came out. It is one of the best battle royale games I have played. And IM CRACKED

It is a very skilled based game, but I believe it should be easier to gain heirloom shards, because who wants to wait like 200 levels after 500 to get heirloom shards.

If you agree comment (YES!)

Back