Apple and Google are being sued over Rainbow Six: Siege clone

mongeese

Staff
Facepalm: Area F2 is a first-person tactical shooter, and the first on mobile to have destructible environments. Two small teams attack or defend objectives including hostages, bombs, etc. It’s built on a pretty cool premise, and it’s quite a reasonable game – because, according to Ubisoft, it stole all its ideas from Rainbow Six: Siege.

“R6S is among the most popular competitive multiplayer games in the world, and is among Ubisoft’s most valuable intellectual properties,” Ubisoft said. “Virtually every aspect of AF2 is copied from R6S, from the operator selection screen to the final scoring screen, and everything in between.”

It’s an indisputable fact that Area F2 is a “near carbon copy” of R6, as Ubisoft puts it -- here’s an amusing comparison on YouTube. Gameplay differences are products of technical restrictions imposed by porting the game from a console and PC format to a mobile one.

There’s possibly less in common between PUBG Mobile and regular PUBG, than there is between AF2 and R6. It’s a little sad, really.

Most clones are inconsequential because they’re created by small teams that can’t afford marketing. AF2 has money. They’ve attracted millions of users across the App Store and Play Store since the game’s exit from beta last month. It was developed by Ejoy.com, a recent purchase of Chinese conglomerate Alibaba, which has significant influence. Perhaps because of this, Ubisoft doesn’t believe they can successfully challenge the game’s legitimacy in Chinese courts. Instead they’ve decided to try to limit the game’s availability.

Ubisoft already asked Apple and Google to remove the game from their respective digital storefronts. Both companies declined. This was logical, as Ubisoft was asking them to rule over copyright infringement claims, which is not their place. Ubisoft has now sued both companies in the federal court at Los Angeles and will try to force them to remove the game from their platforms. Even though the case is fairly clear cut, the extent of courts’ jurisdiction in such matters is unclear, and this case could set an interesting precedent.

Permalink to story.

Why do we let China exist like that? If they're so corrupted they can't be trusted in a simple video game copyright court case why does the world allow them to continue on with the corruption and injustice?
Is it really just to tap into the sweet Chinese consumer market?

Why do we let China exist like that? If they're so corrupted they can't be trusted in a simple video game copyright court case why does the world allow them to continue on with the corruption and injustice? Is it really just to tap into the sweet Chinese consumer market?
I've been asking myself that question for a long time now. China has repeatedly shown the world that they couldn't give a rat's @ss about intellectual property rights be it patents or copyrights and yet we still embrace them while they're figuratively shoving a knife into our collective backs.

We, as the whole world, need to essentially stick one finger on each hand up and tell China to go F themselves. If you don't play by the rules that the rest of the world has agreed needs to be applied to maintain social and economic order, then we're done with you.

Why do we let China exist like that? If they're so corrupted they can't be trusted in a simple video game copyright court case why does the world allow them to continue on with the corruption and injustice?
What really surprises me, is how long they were allowed to do this, shows how many profit from dirty Chinese money. Google is like a taxi driver that is helping a robber get away after he robbed a bank. Guilty in my opinion.

So instead of nailing the criminal, they decide to go after the taxi. Absolutely brilliant - NOT.

Normally I'd agree but that's not really what's happening here. From the article:

"Ubisoft already asked Apple and Google to remove the game from their respective digital storefronts. Both companies declined. This was logical, as Ubisoft was asking them to rule over copyright infringement claims, which is not their place."

I'd have to disagree with the author here. The DMCA gives Intellectual Property owners the right to sue websites / platforms that refuse to take down content when they are given written notice that said content is infringing.

Given the blatant nature of the clone, they were legally obliged to take down said content. There was nothing unusual about this. At this point, Google and Apple are essentially shielding clearly infringing content even after receiving notice of said content. I'm willing to bet Ubisoft included more details in their communications with Google / Apple as well.

Both morally and legally, Ubisoft is in the right here.

Last edited:
Under the current administration and DOJ the only thing China will get is threats with little to no action. It didn't start that way but their stance has become so soft now China only pays them lip service. On the other hand, the game just isn't that thrilling and looks too much like a remake of games gone by so I give it a triple yawnnnnn .......

I'm really curious to see how the courts rule on this one. It seems that there are grounds enough to get Google and Apple to take the app down, but by then Ejoy will probably have made their money.

Under the current administration and DOJ the only thing China will get is threats with little to no action. It didn't start that way but their stance has become so soft now China only pays them lip service. On the other hand, the game just isn't that thrilling and looks too much like a remake of games gone by so I give it a triple yawnnnnn .......
Al I can't believe you believe that. How often does your check come from China to get you to write such an obvious piece of bologna

Al I can't believe you believe that. How often does your check come from China to get you to write such an obvious piece of bologna

Trump HAS softened his stance a bit since beginning his fully justifiable crusade. But only a bit. Its a negotiating tactic, pure and simple, because China knows full well that it needs the west's business far more than the west needs its slave labor. A charismatic and intelligent version of Trump could be totally straightforward with the public about how China is a parasitic nation that steals our prosperity - it might well start an economic revolution. Of course a leader like that would almost certainly be taken out by a "rogue element", "lone gunman" or "terrorist" but hopefully he'd have already gotten the point across before that happened.

Trump HAS softened his stance a bit since beginning his fully justifiable crusade. But only a bit. Its a negotiating tactic, pure and simple, because China knows full well that it needs the west's business far more than the west needs its slave labor. A charismatic and intelligent version of Trump could be totally straightforward with the public about how China is a parasitic nation that steals our prosperity - it might well start an economic revolution. Of course a leader like that would almost certainly be taken out by a "rogue element", "lone gunman" or "terrorist" but hopefully he'd have already gotten the point across before that happened.
Trump is "charismatic and intelligent " How you think he won besides having the message

I still love this anglo-saxon extortion scheme: hey you had the same idea as I had, so I shall sue you and I'll probably win because the law has been corrupted by parasites like me.
I can't wait until "thought police" finally becomes a thing. How much longer do I have to wait for human parasitism to evolve to next level... Disgusting.

As much as I'd like to agree with you I think you're jumping the gun here just like Ubisoft is doing. If they won't fight because they believe they will lose then it's entirely on them. As least let them try so we can have conclusive proof of China's tyranny rather than hurling unfounded accusations in this case

The ripping off of game ideas has had a long distinguished history - back in the beginning of the home computer boom arcade games were frequently ported to a home platform and just given a different name. These "unofficial" versions were often a lot better than the licensed versions (probably because the software house spent all the money on the license and not on programmers) - 3d StarStrike versus StarWars (vector graphics version) on the Amstrad CPC comes to mind and anyone else remember The Great Giana Sisters?
Nintendo is the master of protecting its IP and often do this without resorting to the courts (the threats are often enough) and I suspect Ubisoft are doing the same thing here - the goal is to get the copy removed from sale not to seek damages.
Yes obvious copy is obvious in this case though some of Ubisoft's argument could apply to Siege versus CS:Go.....

I'd be fine if it they took the concept of R6 and made their own game kinda like LoL/Dota, but yeah, this is a blatant rip off.

I still love this anglo-saxon extortion scheme: hey you had the same idea as I had, so I shall sue you and I'll probably win because the law has been corrupted by parasites like me.
I can't wait until "thought police" finally becomes a thing. How much longer do I have to wait for human parasitism to evolve to next level... Disgusting.

It's theft, pure and simple, you can have an idea that's the same, but in every single nation the first one with the idea gets the patent or copyright

And the sweet Chinese manufacturing factories / workforce.

I've been asking myself that question for a long time now. China has repeatedly shown the world that they couldn't give a rat's @ss about intellectual property rights be it patents or copyrights and yet we still embrace them while they're figuratively shoving a knife into our collective backs.

We, as the whole world, need to essentially stick one finger on each hand up and tell China to go F themselves. If you don't play by the rules that the rest of the world has agreed needs to be applied to maintain social and economic order, then we're done with you.

I'm an English teacher in Canada. I taught for a year in China, and it is unbelievable how copying is embedded and an acceptable part of their culture. They view copying as actual work.
They'd ask me why am I penalizing them for copying an essay? Their logic was; they went out, found the right material, and copied it correctly. So they deserve a good score because they found the material!!! lol it was so absurd, but that's actually their cultural perspective of the world.

Yes I agree that this game has virtually the same feel as R6S but the problem is when you look at the details: When you compare the code for the games, it will be different. When you compare the models, they will be different. When you compare the cut screens, they are different. Just because the feel of the game is virtually the same but independently created, doesn't constitute copyright infringement. A similar case occured in the US between Google and Oracle over Java. Google ended up with just 10 to 15 lines of code that were the same, everything else was independently created.

I do realize that everyone wants to slam China for what they did over this Covid-19 situation: Do you really believe it came from a wet market in Wuhan when the research facility that was studying bat corona viruses was 10 miles down the road?

I'm an English teacher in Canada. I taught for a year in China, and it is unbelievable how copying is embedded and an acceptable part of their culture. They view copying as actual work.
They'd ask me why am I penalizing them for copying an essay? Their logic was; they went out, found the right material, and copied it correctly. So they deserve a good score because they found the material!!! lol it was so absurd, but that's actually their cultural perspective of the world.
Wow. What part of "Do your own work!" do they not understand?

Back