Apple begrudgingly admits that the iPhone will switch to USB-C

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Apple says it will comply with a European law that will force the iPhone to switch from a Lightning port to USB-C. The Cupertino executive didn't say precisely when the change will occur, nor did he confirm that the connector will be included in iPhones sold outside of the EU.

With the EU law mandating all small chargeable electronics come equipped with the USB-C standard by 2024 virtually set in stone, attention has been on the company that will be impacted most: Apple.

The subject was raised by The Wall Street Journal's Joanna Stern during a talk with Apple marketing lead Greg Joswiak and software VP Craig Federighi at the publication's Tech Live conference in Laguna Beach, California. When asked if Apple would replace the Lightning port in the iPhone, Joswiak said, "obviously, we'll have to comply; we have no choice."

Joswiak was also asked when consumers could expect the switch to take place. "The Europeans are the ones dictating timing for European customers," he said. The law states that all electronic devices sold in the region must have USB-C charging ports by 2024.

Not surprisingly, Joswiak didn't appear too happy about Apple's hand being forced. He noted that European authorities once wanted Apple to adopt Micro-USB, claiming that neither Lightning nor USB-C would have been invented if the switch had occurred.

The Apple exec also said moving from Lightning to USB-C would lead to an excess of e-waste, which is the opposite of what the European Union claims.

Interestingly, Joswiak refused to say if USB-C iPhones would be sold outside the EU. He also suggested charging bricks that use detachable cables address the issue of standardization.

Apple has already moved many of its devices, including iPads and MacBooks, from Lightning to USB-C, and reports of it releasing an iPhone next year that uses the USB-C charging standard go back before the EU law.

Joswiak also talked about the metaverse at the conference, saying it is a "word I'll never use." It comes after market research firm Canalys predicted that most business projects in this virtual realm would shutter by 2025.

Permalink to story.

Apple defeated.

I wouldn't go as far: Americans still use the imperial system after all even after the rest of the world moves on to something better, standarized and universal and force engineers and scientists to still use stuff like random sticks from centuries ago as the basis.

And this is only half joking: I wonder how many of the American Apple customers would complain by simply saying "Why is my charger cable no longer working!? I WANT TO TALK TO THE MANAGER OF APPLE!" So they might just keep it, just for the US.

So, is apple going to have 3 versions of the iphone? Lightning with no SIM for US, USB C with SIM for europe, nd lightning with SIM for the rest of the world?

Just use USB C and be done with it FFS.
I wouldn't go as far: Americans still use the imperial system after all even after the rest of the world moves on to something better, standarized and universal and force engineers and scientists to still use stuff like random sticks from centuries ago as the basis.
Oh yes, who could forget the standard of weighing people with STONES.

Oh wait, it isnt america doing that......

And this is only half joking: I wonder how many of the American Apple customers would complain by simply saying "Why is my charger cable no longer working!? I WANT TO TALK TO THE MANAGER OF APPLE!" So they might just keep it, just for the US.
They'll just get a new cable with their phone, it isnt that hard to figure out bud.......

He noted that European authorities once wanted Apple to adopt Micro-USB, claiming that neither Lightning nor USB-C would have been invented if the switch had occurred.
Yeah right, as if Apple is the only company capable of introducing new interfaces. Apple is the right place for arrogant pricks.

Yeah right, as if Apple is the only company capable of introducing new interfaces. Apple is the right place for arrogant pricks.
He's not claiming that? His point is that if micro USB had been mandated as standard, USB C and lightning would have never been invented, because it would have been illegal to use them. We'd all be stuck with a worse prior standard.

Apple has been defeated with their proprietary sh1t in EU turf. Politicans wins, environment wins, and at the end, the people, with cheaper and universal cables.

He's not claiming that? His point is that if micro USB had been mandated as standard, USB C and lightning would have never been invented, because it would have been illegal to use them. We'd all be stuck with a worse prior standard.

This is why OP's post is so spot-on. Internally, Apple is full of arrogant pricks who can't stand to be told what to do. They'll come up with any justification (right or wrong) to do whatever they want.

Micro-USB didn't stop everyone from migrating to USB-C. If it had been codified, it wouldn't have changed the long process of switching either. However, just like today, the only major company that would have been punished was Apple...

From a supply perspective, I would think that they'll just have 1 type of port so all will use

I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of all ports in the future.

I have tried the wireless charging but most of them were so slow (last wireless stand was 2 years ago). Hopefully that has/will change in the near future.

I can totally see Apple being petty enough to manufacture 2 different cheap modules to use depending on region (USB-C and Lightning).

But hopefully their need to be as cheap as possible (manufacturing) doesn't let them.

This is why OP's post is so spot-on. Internally, Apple is full of arrogant pricks who can't stand to be told what to do. They'll come up with any justification (right or wrong) to do whatever they want.

Micro-USB didn't stop everyone from migrating to USB-C. If it had been codified, it wouldn't have changed the long process of switching either. However, just like today, the only major company that would have been punished was Apple...
Pretty sure if micro USB HAD been codified that neither type c or lightning would have existed. Why would they have been made if they were illegal?

I'm not a fanboy but the physical design of the Apple Lightning port and connector is superior to USB-C. While I like standardization, I also like options. I would prefer if Apple just put BOTH ports on their phones, then let the user decide what they want or need to use. It's kind of funny but this bares a striking similarity to the electric vehicle charging port standard versus Tesla's charging port. Tesla does at least provide or sells an adapter to use standard charger plugs, though.

Honestly the US market is so big I don't think it would be much of an issue for Apple to continue making Lightning port phones for the foreseeable future; though as many have pointed out... ports may not last much longer anyway. I think getting rid of the port is a horrible idea, just like getting rid of user replaceable batteries was a bad idea; but in the end the company is so big that the consumer just isn't going to win unless EVERYONE steps up and says "No!" and stops buying their product - then they would indeed be forced to change.

I'm not a fanboy but the physical design of the Apple Lightning port and connector is superior to USB-C. While I like standardization, I also like options. I would prefer if Apple just put BOTH ports on their phones, then let the user decide what they want or need to use. It's kind of funny but this bares a striking similarity to the electric vehicle charging port standard versus Tesla's charging port. Tesla does at least provide or sells an adapter to use standard charger plugs, though.

Honestly the US market is so big I don't think it would be much of an issue for Apple to continue making Lightning port phones for the foreseeable future; though as many have pointed out... ports may not last much longer anyway. I think getting rid of the port is a horrible idea, just like getting rid of user replaceable batteries was a bad idea; but in the end the company is so big that the consumer just isn't going to win unless EVERYONE steps up and says "No!" and stops buying their product - then they would indeed be forced to change.
Having a child that has twice broken the usb-c port on her Switch-Lite, I agree that the lightning port is in fact the superior port from a durability standpoint. I own no Apple products currently and do not plan to in the future, btw. While I think some standards are important in the tech industry (imagine every motherboard manufacturer having different pin sockets so you'd have to buy select power supples), I don't think this one was truly hurting anyone. Also, as has happened many times in the past, the inferior standard won, but that is because Apple has copyright on the lightning port. No other manufacturer was allowed to use it.

Apple has been defeated with their proprietary sh1t in EU turf. Politicans wins, environment wins, and at the end, the people, with cheaper and universal cables.
I wouldn't be too surprised though, if Apple didn't put some type of CHIP in their power cables, that if you are not using an (overpriced) Apple cable, it will not charge at the faster speed, will not transfer files as fast etc. It would still meet the EU law, but if you wanted the full benefit of the port, you would still have to use an Apple cable.

Of all the smug CEO's of big corporations Tim Cook (along with Jeff-The-Anti-Christ) might be the most repellent, avaricious and amoral. So anything that bends him over gets my vote.

obviously that what-ifs are all in his head, because back then micro USB could only support USB 2.0 and 10W at most. by the time USB 3.0 came, everyone would propose to USB-IF for better standard.

you all guys act like USB-IF, the governing body to USB standard doesn't exist.

The Imperial vs Metric debate is far more involved than most people realize. There are many advantages to Imperial.

Imperial goes back to the Sumerian base 60 (sexagesimal) system. It's really a hybrid of base 5 and base 12, supposedly using the five fingers of one hand and the 12 knuckles of the other to perform calculations. Turns out 60 is very convenient. We still use 360 degrees in a circle, 12/24 hours in a day, and 12 months in a year. That's because 10 is not convenient for many types of measure. Base 60 also allows you to use the number 3 as an exact value which is especially useful in trigonometry. Note that triangles are inherently not decimal in nature.

Here's another interesting fact. Imperial fractional measure is binary. Look at fractional inch. The units are derived from a series of divisions of the inch. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8/ 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 etc. Computers use the same sequence of numbers 2,4,8,16,32,64.

Fractional inch can be easier than metric. For example, to add 1/2, 5/32, and 9/16 you convert to the largest common denominator (32) and then add: 1/2=16/32, 9/16=18/32. So 16+18+5=39. And the answer is 39/32. Which can be done in your head without even a pencil or paper.

Contrast that with the decimal equivalent which gives you 0.500 + 0.1563 + 0.5625=1.219.

But Imperial already has decimal, if you need it. Look at an Imperial micrometer. It's calibrated in thousandths of an inch. No fractions. Most US industry uses Imperial.

My main gripe with Imperial is the proliferation of units that are not clearly related to each other such as the cup, teaspoon, pound, etc. But that's not a flaw in the basic philosophy of the Imperial system. The Imperial system could have been 'cleaned up' by eliminating irrelevant units and standardizing. Instead they're choosing to chuck the entire system for one that is arguably worse.

Fractional inch can be easier than metric. For example, to add 1/2, 5/32, and 9/16 you convert to the largest common denominator (32) and then add: 1/2=16/32, 9/16=18/32. So 16+18+5=39. And the answer is 39/32. Which can be done in your head without even a pencil or paper.

You lost your arguments way before this but this part really demonstrated how horrible it is to use Imperial instead of Metric!

How can converting AND adding fractions be easier than adding millimeters, without having to convert anything all!

And please do tell us how easy it is to add grains, ounces, pounds, stones and hundredweights!!

There is a reason 99.9% of the planet has adopted the Metric system!!

PS: Imagine if world currencies were using the imperial system......

Please change for the rest of the world. I'm fine with USB-C being the standard for everything at this point. Having multiple different cables around isn't my idea of a good time.

Back