Apple crushed device activations this holiday season

Shawn Knight

Staff member

iPhone X demand may have been down in recent weeks but Apple still won the holiday season by a sizable margin according to data recently compiled by Flurry.

The analytics firm examined mobile device activations during the week leading up to Christmas Day and the end of Chanukah (December 19 through December 25). Data reveals that 44 percent of new phone and tablet activations were Apple-branded devices. Samsung finished in second place with 26 percent of the pie but after that, it wasn’t even close.

Chinese device maker Huawei accounted for five percent of mobile device activations during the week-long period while Xiaomi, Motorola, LG and Oppo captured just three percent each.

For comparison, Apple in 2016 also accounted for 44 percent of device activations leading up to Christmas. Samsung’s activation rate a year ago was just 21 percent. Clearly, the introduction of the Galaxy Note 8 earlier this year helped Samsung’s cause this holiday season.

The analytics firm also broke down the top 10 Apple smartphone device activations. As you can see, the iPhone 7, iPhone 6 and iPhone X were among the most activated devices this holiday season. It has to be a bit concerning for Apple that, of its three new models, only one made the top three.

Flurry highlights the fact that Google is once again absent from the list despite the fanfare around the launch of the Pixel 2. “It is safe to say that due to limited phone models (4) and lack of consumer mindshare, the Pixel is failing to pique users’ interest,” the firm notes.

Permalink to story.

You know what is really interesting? If you add the iphone 6, 6s 6 plus, 6s plus, and SE models together, they account for 43.1% of apples activation. These models all have headphone jacks, and there are many people claiming they were buying older models for the jack.

The 6 and 6 plus made up over 19% of activations int he weeks leading up to christmas, despite being discontinued in the days leading up to the 8 launch in september.

I wonder if apple's steam will continue once the 6s and SE models are discontinued. Time will tell. I hope they do, because screw dongles. Apple will only change if sales dip. if next year the 6s and SE models make up a much larger portion of sales as a response to the 6 discontinuation, apple will be facing a tough reality.

All for "courage"

You know what is really interesting? If you add the iphone 6, 6s 6 plus, 6s plus, and SE models together, they account for 43.1% of apples activation. These models all have headphone jacks, and there are many people claiming they were buying older models for the jack.

The 6 and 6 plus made up over 19% of activations int he weeks leading up to christmas, despite being discontinued in the days leading up to the 8 launch in september.

I wonder if apple's steam will continue once the 6s and SE models are discontinued. Time will tell. I hope they do, because screw dongles. Apple will only change if sales dip. if next year the 6s and SE models make up a much larger portion of sales as a response to the 6 discontinuation, apple will be facing a tough reality.

All for "courage"

I think it has more to do with price and not HP jack..

I saw this same article on phone arena and this article is missing the fact that the pixel 2 was the highest activated device for the time period. Seems very click baity.

I saw this same article on phone arena and this article is missing the fact that the pixel 2 was the highest activated device for the time period. Seems very click baity.

Go look again. The Pixel 2 had the highest percentage increase compared to its previous total, not the most activations.

Back