Apple iPad jailbreak confirmed on second day of release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Staff

Perhaps with little surprise, Apple’s iPad was rooted over the weekend as evidenced by the usual flurry of videos, photos and other various sources. Gaining access to root provides iPhone hackers full control of the device’s operating system which in turn will lead to the creation of tools that will automate the process for the rest of us.

The method employed for iPhone OS 3.2 utilizes a port of ‘Spirit’ which roots iPhone OS 3.1.3 by exploiting a vulnerability found in Mobile Safari. To perform the jailbreak on any device running the latest version of iPhone OS, a user must use Mobile Safari to visit a website hosting the exploit and grant permission for the jailbreak. Incidentally, you’re right to think this all sounds familiar – Mobile Safari has been the vector for previous jailbreak hacks.

While there isn’t a jailbreak utility ready for the masses yet, history tells us the iPhone dev community is hard at work putting one together for public consumption. Of course, history also tells us that Apple will be pushing just as hard to address this vulnerability in their next firmware iteration. In other words, don’t count on this jailbreak working for long.

Permalink to story.

A jailbroken phone means less income from the app store....

Remember, you never really own an Apple product....they will restrict the devices and they TELL YOU what you are allowed to do with it......

Oh, and the Digital Rights Management (DRM) poisoned content is another way of them saying , yes you can or no you can't view that book/article, etc...

I'll stick with my Linux Open and FREE (as in freedom, not as in free beer) OS and Apps.

couldnt have said it better myself! open/free OS is the way to go!

Apple will never learn... Proprietary is what almost killed them before... If your paying that kind of money for a device you should be allowed to do what you want with it. If they would open their eyes and see that f they opened it up to other networks and apps they would make 10X the money they do now! Just making it so other cell providers could use it on their networks would clear every IPhone off the shelf! If my cell provider offered the Iphone I would be all over it, but I wont change providers just to get it... So they loose... just my 2 cents worth...

Will jailbreaking allow adobe flashplayer installation or does adobe need to make a version for the ipad OS?

Unfortunately, Jailbreaking does not offer a way to provide Flash.

Things may have changed since this was true, but one of the primary reasons was Mobile Safari actually has no plugin support. Another big problem is no official port of Adobe Flash is available for the iPhone.

Otherwise, I see no reason why open-sauce projects like Gnash can't be ported to the iPhone, aside from the first limitation (if that is still true).

mystic420 said:
Apple will never learn... Proprietary is what almost killed them before...
Ironically, that's not really true. When they 'opened up' the Macintosh for clones, Apple Computer tanked and in a big way. Apple does just fine in its closed little environment and I'd argue that's really most of what it has going for it.

Why Apple Failed
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Q4.06/9FD12E37-8DC7-4AD1-872F-2021BEDE6D96.html

The iPhone can be seen as a status product. All status products work in an opposite manner in the economic equilibrium to that of normal products, I.e; increasing the price and reducing availabilty increases the demand for the product, just like gems, oil, and war profits. Haha.. But true, for that reason, by allowing freedom and numerous providers to access the iPhone, it will naturally brew competition in the Market, this is best for the consumer, as companies will fight for the most customers by providing the better deals. But the result is that apple can then not guarantee a high price and limited sales, ask an wholesaler, would they prefer to sell less at a higher price? Or sell more at a lower price. If the profit is the same, they will definitely want to sell less.

Turn again, having said that, as it is the iPhone, demand probably still would be high at any price, it's not really a status product any more, just the industry standard now, I.e telling the Market where to go. But you can see the economics behind it. As a lot of the money apple make are from apps, perhaps selling more is the route, perhaps this is why they openEd up 3gs to a few providers. Well in the uk as far as I know..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back