Apple iPad Pro is official: 12.9" display, goes after Surface with physical keyboard,...

Julio Franco

Staff member

Apple's first big announcement today is a new iPad, the long rumored iPad Pro. In true 'reality distortion field' fashion, they are calling this "the biggest news in iPad since the iPad." Sporting a large 12.9" display (2,732 x 2,048), the iPad Pro retains a 4:3 aspect ratio but the new tablet is as wide as the iPad Air is tall.

Because of the much larger footprint, Apple believes the iPad Pro will be great for productivity, with iOS improving multitasking support and split screen operation with two apps on-screen, but also for watching TV shows and movies as well as gaming.

With more space, Apple has packed a ton more procesing power. The new A9X SoC is 1.8x faster than the average desktop-class processor according to Apple. The built-in GPU is 2x faster than a console GPU, which as you know is still very slow compared to high-end GPUs in a gaming PC but an impressive feat nonetheless.

In fact, the bolder claim Apple made about A9X SoC is that the chip is faster than most laptops released in the last year. In combination with productivity software from the likes of Microsoft (they were part of the iPad Pro presentation, no joke), Adobe, Autodesk or Apple's own iMovie, the new iPad is capable enough to edit edit clips in iMovie, like you would do in MacBook Pro.

Now, specs aside, productivity is sure to improve once you get a keyboard. Surface users know this and Apple has taken note. iPad Pro features an optimized full-size software keyboard but also an optional cover accessory that doubles as a physical keyboard. Apple is claiming they have nailed it on the usability side, even though it's their first attempt at it. No doubt they have been working on this for a long time as well as learned from what's already in the market. The keyboard will set you back a hefty $169.

The iPad Pro is 6.9mm thick compared to 6.1mm for the Air 2, so still pretty thin. It weighs in at 1.57 pounds which is about the same as the original iPad that came out 5 years ago.

The second hardware accessory for the iPad Pro is the Apple Pencil, meaning you get pen input like the Galaxy Note phablets and the Surface Pro. If you heared the crowd, they seemed to be excited about these two features long available in competing products. Apple's showcase for the $99 Pencil was very interesting however on how they are combining input with pressure sensitivity for lighter and stronger strokes, though as far as I understand Microsoft's Surface 3 Pro is very capable and feature-rich in the digital pen tech department already.

Other key aspects of the new iPad Pro include a 10-hour battery life, a 4-speaker audio system, it has TouchID, 8MP camera, Wi-Fi ac capable with the option for 150Mbps LTE, and comes in the same colors as previous iPads.

So how much?

Shipping in November, the iPad Pro starts at $799 for 32GB. The 128GB Wi-Fi model will set you back $949 and the LTE-capable 128GB model costs $1079. Add $169 for the keyboard and $99 for the Pencil, you've got a svelte yet big tablet that is expensive and in full Surface 3 Pro territory.

Permalink to story.

Apple used to be inovative company. now when the whole world got rid of the pen they show the whole world how stupid the pen is when the woman showing the medical app has to throw it away and pick it up from the desk repeatedly just to do basic operations. they will even charge at least 30 USD for the pen. time to look elsewhere

Nice device, but iOS, not OS X. Not really in the league of the Surface Pro, more the Surface (RT) which was a complete flop. Lets get an OS X version then we can talk about me moving away from my beloved Surface Pro.

32 GB for a tablet that is supposed to replace premium ultrabooks? I don't think so. Over a grand if you want a keyboard too. Why would anyone spend this much cash on what is essentially a crippled ultrabook?

Nice device, but iOS, not OS X. Not really in the league of the Surface Pro, more the Surface (RT) which was a complete flop. Lets get an OS X version then we can talk about me moving away from my beloved Surface Pro.
You cannot compare Surface RT with iPad Pro. The former was a flop because of the lack of applications for it, where with the latter it's the opposite - the entire market of apps created for iPad is ready to be used on the new iPad Pro.

You cannot compare Surface RT with iPad Pro. The former was a flop because of the lack of applications for it, where with the latter it's the opposite - the entire market of apps created for iPad is ready to be used on the new iPad Pro.

I get what you're saying, but a pro product should be running pro software and not the same OS that's on your phone... At this rate Apple I don't think Apple will ever release a tablet running OSX...

I get what you're saying, but a pro product should be running pro software and not the same OS that's on your phone... At this rate Apple I don't think Apple will ever release a tablet running OSX...

OSX has no support for touch screens. It would take rewriting the whole OS to add one.

LMAO....
LAST company to use a 5+ inch screen
Now just coming to the grips of introducing a STYLUS...ummm..."pencil".
Boy, I bet Samsung is already working on a new ad for that one!

LMAO....
LAST company to use a 5+ inch screen
Now just coming to the grips of introducing a STYLUS...ummm..."pencil".
Boy, I bet Samsung is already working on a new ad for that one!

it'll feature a Steve Jobs quote from 2010 - ""If you see a stylus, they blew it.”

It looks like being the last to use a big screen is a mistake they wont' make again.

Joel Watson drew a comic in 2012 that predicted the iPad would get a Microsoft Surface-like keyboard cover in 2015...

surface-ipad-comic-joel-watson.jpg

Apple used to be inovative company. now when the whole world got rid of the pen they show the whole world how stupid the pen is when the woman showing the medical app has to throw it away and pick it up from the desk repeatedly just to do basic operations. they will even charge at least 30 USD for the pen. time to look elsewhere

..more than twice that, actually.

Nice Display. Right size for many uses. Faster than the standard desktop? Rubbish. An i7 is the standard desktop processor. But the big issue is lack of storage, and in reality lack of processing power. Apple's apps are all TOY quality. Have you ever tried to do anything complex with any Apple app? Let me save you some time. Forget it. 128 Gb. Thats not even enough storage for my page file. Apple and Microsoft keep thinking they invented computers. So far I haven't seen anything from Apple, Microsoft, or even Intel that wasn't invented 35 years ago at Digital Equipment Corp., and frankly it was done better because in those days we all understood how computers worked, which seems to be a lost art today.

The pencil is $99.... and the keyboard $169.... any guarantee that it will work with the iPad pro "2" they release in a year? Or the "3" in 2 years? Cause that's a LOT of cash to put up when you're already paying about a grand....

...128 Gb. Thats not even enough storage for my page file. ...
If that is true, you are doing something terribly wrong.

Everyone wants to compare this to the Surface Pro, but I don't think this is trying to compete with the Surface Pro. It is a bigger iPad with a better processor than previous ones, its just like the Mini but in the opposite direction for size.

I'm a digital artist . I was looking for the XP-Pen Artist 12 Pro display drawing tablet which is 11.6 inches so it's smaller. My workspace is quite comfy and I have my couch right next to my desk so I could always take the tablet and draw while watching TV. The thing that I like about the iPad/surface pro though is that I can leave the house easily with them.
In my opnion the iPad Pro is a lot better to draw on than the surface because you get the higher refresh rate(120hz) which results in lower input lag when drawing. Also the apple pencil supports a wider range of pressure sensitivity.

Back