Apple is removing the Do Not Track setting from Safari

Greg S

TS Evangelist

Back in 2010, the FTC proposed a browser setting, "Do Not Track," so that advertisers would know not to collect a specific user's information based on their personal preferences. After implementing such a feature in 2011, Apple is removing Do Not Track options from Safari on iOS and MacOS.

Compliance with the Do Not Track setting has always been suspect. It is completely up to website developers to comply with the request of anonymity being made. Just because a user has the setting checked off does not mean that advertisers are actually respecting their choice.

Clever methods of tracking users involve collecting all of the information a browser shares with a server and then creating a profile based upon the metadata gathered. This process is known as browser fingerprinting. Apple is removing the "Ask Websites Not to Track Me" option so that it is more difficult to differentiate between different MacOS and iOS users. In earlier versions of iOS, this is simply called "Do Not Track." Any extra information makes it slightly easier to profile site visitors.

Beginning with iOS 12.2 and MacOS 10.14.4, Safari will no longer request that websites stop tracking you. Instead, Apple's cross-site tracking prevention will act as the main method of blocking your personal information from being widely collected and distributed. This setting should already be enabled by default, but can be found under Safari's privacy settings should you wish to verify.

As part of Safari 12, Apple has upgraded its tracking prevention tools, changing the name to Intelligent Tracking Prevention 2.0. Additional protections against cross-site script inclusion attacks and cross-site framing have been added.

Image Credit: PixieMe via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Squid Surprise

TS Evangelist
This title shows a bit of bias against Apple... the article's main point is that Apple is REPLACING the "do not track" with better privacy options.... the title just says "Apple is removing"...

Techspot, let's TRY to be a bit better...

Reactions: BenKenobi and Dean7

BenKenobi

TS Rookie
This title shows a bit of bias against Apple... the article's main point is that Apple is REPLACING the "do not track" with better privacy options.... the title just says "Apple is removing"...

This site definitely has some bias against Apple. It’s childish really. I know the comments section is usually in support of it, but you would expect the journalists not to get sucked in.

captaincranky

TechSpot Addict

Thank goodness we have you here as a self appointed assistant editor. Because none of the rest of us would have been able to figure out what was actually being reported by simply reading the article.

Last edited:

captaincranky

TechSpot Addict
This site definitely has some bias against Apple. It’s childish really. I know the comments section is usually in support of it, but you would expect the journalists not to get sucked in.
Ooo, another editor in training. Hey maybe that's the title we should give our noobies, "Assistant editor in training". It's so much more pompous, pretentious, and pedantic than just, "Rookie".

Slightly skewed titles are sort of like chumming, they're a great way to get fish to "click" on your "byline". (I'm sorry, I meant "bite on your fishing line"). :rolleyes: :laughing:

Last edited:

BenKenobi

TS Rookie
Slightly skewed titles are sort of like chumming, they're a great way to get fish to "click" on your "byline". (I'm sorry, I meant "bite on your fishing line"). :rolleyes: :laughing:
That's fair, but there's a disproportionate number of these barbs directed at Apple. I'm a PC gamer and Computer Scientist so I don't think I have any reason to be imagining it.

Don't care about convincing anyone - it's been voiced and it's up to the editors if they want to do anything about it.

captaincranky

TechSpot Addict
That's fair, but there's a disproportionate number of these barbs directed at Apple. I'm a PC gamer and Computer Scientist so I don't think I have any reason to be imagining it.
Look, I think click bait is fair game. And I think our writers are doing a good job pulling in readers. Face it, in every form and venue of journalism, headlines count, whether it's the Wall Street Journal, or the National Enquirer.

The article wasn't biased. In fact, it outlined browser improvement Apple is planning to make. So, you can't claim it's "anti Apple", you can only feel duped, and I can't see where that's anybody's fault but your own.

But when you come right down to it, you only started reading to find out, "what's being said bad about Apple this time".

Life's a b!tch when you make an "unscheduled dismount" from your high white horse.. But let's face it, you'll always claim you were pushed.

There's plenty of anti-Apple sentiment coming from this corner of the room.

For example: Apple likes to claim it's an "American company", and true enough, it's on the NASDAQ. But in reality, it's a bunch of apparent stoners in Cupertino walking around so engrossed with their iPhones, they're walking into the "spaceship's" glass walls, while 100.000 or so Chinese are busting their collective a**es pumping out the product. (And some of them have jumped out the dormitory windows because of it).

So, what is Apple, if not the Bang & Olufsen of mobile phones? Basically, they're both mediocre specced, overpriced, get gos, for the overly class conscious.

Say when....;)

Last edited:

captaincranky

TechSpot Addict
Did... my comment just get edited by a moderator? ...wow.
If you had something removed, feel free to PM me. I'm contentious at your disposal just about 24/7.

I can tell you that our mods aren't really disposed of editing posts. It's a "quick or the dead" thing. It either stays or goes.

BenKenobi

TS Rookie
If you had something removed, feel free to PM me. I'm contentious at your disposal just about 24/7.

I can tell you that our mods aren't really disposed of editing posts. It's a "quick or the dead" thing. It either stays or goes.
The line you quoted has vanished and the layout is messed up - perhaps you mistakenly edited when you intended on quoting? Otherwise, that's a seriously weird bug.

Anyway, I've skimmed the recent articles with the Apple tag and I concede that there doesn't seem to be a real bias there. Old memories and a caffeine deficiency I suppose.

Oof.

captaincranky

TechSpot Addict
The line you quoted has vanished and the layout is messed up - perhaps you mistakenly edited when you intended on quoting? Otherwise, that's a seriously weird bug....[ ]....
I honestly don't see where that has happened

.My first quote of your post was taken from your #3, and it's still there. This:
That's fair, but there's a disproportionate number of these barbs directed at Apple. I'm a PC gamer and Computer Scientist so I don't think I have any reason to be imagining it....[ ]....
Granted, I didn't quote your entire post, just the first paragraph But, AFAIK, both (all?) or your replies are still on the page, and intact.

From here, I didn't see anything you've posted that a mod would yank. Color me confused..:confused:

mailpup

TS Special Forces
I don't think so. It wasn't me and see no evidence of it either. As captaincranky pointed out I don't edit comments. If there is a problem with the post, the whole thing gets deleted regardless of any other content.