Apple is reportedly prepping a trio of new iPhones including one with a massive screen

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple will release a trio of iPhones later this year led by what will be the company’s largest handset yet according to a recent report from Bloomberg.

Citing unnamed sources, the publication claims the supersized iPhone will have a screen “close to 6.5 inches.” Known internally by the codename D33, some of the prototypes reportedly have a screen resolution of 1,242 x 2,688. The body of the phone will be about as big as the current-generation iPhone 8 Plus, we’re told, albeit with a screen that is about an inch larger courtesy of the edge-to-edge design. Like the iPhone X, it’ll use OLED screen technology and offer Face ID.

The device is expected to be a hit with business users, allowing them to craft e-mails and manage spreadsheets on a screen that’s about as large as what you’d find on a small tablet. As such, the handset could cannibalize iPad sales.

Apple is also working on two other iPhone models. D32 is the codename for a device that’ll serve as an update to the standard-sized iPhone X. Like the bigger iPhone, this model is expected to utilize Apple’s new A12 processor and feature a stainless steel band around the perimeter.

The two may also be offered in a gold color option. Apple planned on having a golden iPhone X but abandoned the idea due to production issues.

The new phones will likely arrive running an updated operating system. iOS 12, codenamed Peace, is expected to deliver additional augmented reality features, deeper Siri integration, digital health monitoring and the ability to utilize Animojis during FaceTime calls.

The cheaper iPhone, meanwhile, will use LCD screen technology in an edge-to-edge design and boast aluminum edges and a glass back like the current iPhone 8.

Look for Apple to unveil its next batch of iPhones this fall.

Permalink to story.

"including one with a massive screen"

Funny ..... I thought they called that an iPad .....

I have been with apple since the beginning.
I last had the iPhone 7 Plus 256GB and I now have the iPhone X 256GB.

My only problem with the iPhone X is that there's no home button.

apple should have put the home button on back - like many full-screen galaxy phones do - possibly as the apple logo itself.

When apps stop working and need a fast close, it takes longer to activate the card mode and get rid of it to close it. Touch ID is also far more accurate than Face ID. My girlfriend for example is Chinese and the phone's Face ID absolutely will unlock for her sister just as quickly as her. It will not do the same with Touch ID.

Otherwise, the only thing I really want is 512GB. The CPU and camera are fantastic. I just want more storage space.

Having used the iPhone since the 3GS (currently using a 7 Plus), I’m leaning towards the 8 Plus; otherwise the Samsung Galaxy S9+ and Sony Xperia XZ2 are compelling options. Just waiting on what other Android options are available from MWC.

I have been with apple since the beginning.
I last had the iPhone 7 Plus 256GB and I now have the iPhone X 256GB.

My only problem with the iPhone X is that there's no home button.

apple should have put the home button on back - like many full-screen galaxy phones do - possibly as the apple logo itself.

When apps stop working and need a fast close, it takes longer to activate the card mode and get rid of it to close it. Touch ID is also far more accurate than Face ID. My girlfriend for example is Chinese and the phone's Face ID absolutely will unlock for her sister just as quickly as her. It will not do the same with Touch ID.

Otherwise, the only thing I really want is 512GB. The CPU and camera are fantastic. I just want more storage space.

Yeah, that's just going to be an issue people will have to deal with on first gen tech. They should get it ironed out for the next gen.

If you want more storage space it might benefit you to purchase a small external storage device that connects wirelessly to your iPhone. They have one's that go up to 1TB.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a phone from Apple with a screen over 98% of the body of the device (need space for camera and usb-c port), before we get any type of attempt of a toughbook type of attempt at building a phone. Slow the phone cycle. You don't need something new every year, instead you can do the tick tock method that cpu devs use. 1 year new stuff, 2nd year optimized stuff from last year. Save R&D reducing costs on new stuff.

Yeah, that's just going to be an issue people will have to deal with on first gen tech. They should get it ironed out for the next gen.

If you want more storage space it might benefit you to purchase a small external storage device that connects wirelessly to your iPhone. They have one's that go up to 1TB.

External storage isn't good for when you are editing 4K video on the phone towards export.

Some time back, I was advising a client on the features needed in his planned custom CRM. I told him the Prime Directive should be to have the CRM conform to his business model rather than redesigning his professional work flow to conform to a CRM designer's specs. Alas, he chose not to follow my advice and has been out of business for some time.

I believe phone designers should also select features to complement users needs, not the whims of marketing designers.I hate glass backs too but they are needed for wireless charging. They also don't allow for replaceable batteries > planned obsolesce.

Last edited:
Back