Apple is reportedly telling suppliers to expect in excess of 100 million iPhone 12 orders

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: If you’re thinking it’s a bit early to be talking about the next iPhone, well, it’s really not. It’s not uncommon for rumors of next-gen iPhones to crop up this early. For example, renders of the iPhone 11’s rear camera system showed up some eight months before Apple officially unveiled the handset.

Apple is reportedly expecting a sharp increase in sales of its next-generation iPhone that’s due out in late 2020.

Sources from Taiwan’s supply chain tell Digitimes (paywalled, per 9to5Mac) that Apple is telling manufacturing partners to expect in excess of 100 million orders. By comparison, the current-gen iPhone 11 family is expected to sell around 80 million units.

While things like a refreshed design and a new time-of-flight sensor for augmented reality functions will no doubt be alluring, the real key to 2020 iPhone sales will be the inclusion of a 5G modem chip. By this time next year, 5G networks should be far more plentiful – or at least, that’s what Apple is likely banking on.

And even if they aren’t, some misinformed consumers will no doubt buy the 2020 iPhone under false pretenses.

It’ll be interesting to see if Apple rolls out 5G-specific versions of its next iPhone at a premium or if the entire lineup will ship with 5G modems standard. If Apple takes the latter route, will they raise the base price of the iPhone to account for what is likely more expensive modem hardware? Arguments for either strategy could be made but only time will reveal Apple’s plan.

Permalink to story.

Can someone point me to the nearest euthanasia clinic?

People can't afford an oil change or new tires for their car but can drop $1000+ for an iPhone.

Heck, I'd bet that the amount of people looking to buy this new iPhone who DON'T own a car could be in excess of 10 million

So with 5g you'll be able to steam your videos at pretty much the same speed, eat through your data plan in seconds, and scroll through you social media apps just a tiny bit faster. yay.

Can someone point me to the nearest euthanasia clinic?

People can't afford an oil change or new tires for their car but can drop $1000+ for an iPhone.

Heck, I'd bet that the amount of people looking to buy this new iPhone who DON'T own a car could be in excess of 10 million
In all fairness, most of the people I know wouldnt be using these expensive devices unless they had that convenient financing for their devices.
And I have seen how quickl your phones replaced books mp3 players video players, computers etc.
These days you re not just buying a 1000 phone, you are buying a handful of other gadjest of which some are crucial in todays lives.

Ah yes, all the sheep people who need to buy this because fashion (or just blind loyalty).

In all fairness, most of the people I know wouldnt be using these expensive devices unless they had that convenient financing for their devices.
And I have seen how quickl your phones replaced books mp3 players video players, computers etc.
These days you re not just buying a 1000 phone, you are buying a handful of other gadjest of which some are crucial in todays lives.
You also don't need a $1000 phone to replace your phone, gps, iPod, ect.

I keep my phones for 3 years, and they're crucial for me for work. So $1000 for 3 years is reasonable (works out to $28/mth...I spend more on drinks in a month!)

Personally, I went with the Samsung Note 10+ and its a workhorse; MS Office, chrome, & even video editing work flawlessly on it. And if I need a desktop I plug it into a monitor, bluetooth & keyboard, and BOOM im working on a desktop.? I dont know if iPhones can do that, but if they can, then ya I can totally see why people upgrade.

It is amazing to see how far Apple will go with squeezing yet more money out of its loyal deep pocketed and/or heavily financed users. I do not mind being old fashioned and just having an iPhone and a computer. I will let others join the tablet and wearables game. Also, I do not get why people really feel like they need the latest phone tech all the time. For the most part people do not look at other people’s phones and think oh wow they must be famous or rich,,,they have the newest iPhone. You can be 4 generations behind in this never ending changing world of phone tech at a fraction of the price and Apple still supports your iPhone with updates to the latest iOS. Also, what are people doing on their phones that they honestly cannot do today with 4G/LTE? If I get a new 5G phone and somehow have access to a 5G network I can still stream the same video and music with no lag the same as I can today on 4G/LTE. What will be more funny is people will actually think they need all of that extra speed when a lot of people today already have their video streams throttled to standard definition (SD) quality...well guess what on 5G it will still be throttled the same way your data plan still dictates it today. So for most people what will be all so great about 5G that 4G/LTE and video stream throttling quality is not already doing today other than it just being cool to say you have a 5G phone...who will really care in the end???

You also don't need a $1000 phone to replace your phone, gps, iPod, ect.
Agreed. Anyone that can't pay the $1000, in full, at the time of purchase has no business buying a high end smartphone. If they do, unironically, they're kinda dumb.

This is because the chasm between iOS and Android is greater than it ever has been. Android is being left behind in the dust.

personally il get a new iPhone every 2 years, not every 12 months. And no matter how bad my life gets, I’m not going to switch to Android at this point.

Last edited:
Agreed. Anyone that can't pay the $1000, in full, at the time of purchase has no business buying a high end smartphone. If they do, unironically, they're kinda dumb.
There's nothing "unironic" about that. The irony here is you calling them "dumb".

If someone wants to get a loan to buy something they can't afford immediately, then that's their business. Dumb or smart is irrelevant.

Back