Apple pressures Microsoft to cease laptop hunter ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Whether online or on TV, you have probably seen at least one of Microsoft’s ads in their most recent “Laptop Hunter” campaign. For those who haven’t seen it, the premise is simple; Give someone $1,000 and tell them to buy any laptop they want. Invariably, the person walks out of a store with a Windows-based PC, with comparisons being made throughout the choosing process that portray Apple’s machines as simply too expensive. A clever approach, and one that may be working out for Microsoft.

So much indeed that apparently Apple has been pressuring them to pull the ads. Whether this means the Mac maker is threatening legal action or simply trying to strong-arm isn't clear. The company is essentially saying that Microsoft's ads are based on old pricing structures, as they’ve recently updated their laptop line and lowered some of their prices.

Apple believes the ads aren't fair, but if you take Microsoft COO Kevin Turner’s word for it, they have no intention of ceasing them. You can read the full transcript from where Mr. Turner’s commentary was taken here.

Is Apple really putting pressure on Microsoft? They’ve certainly enjoyed poking merciless fun at Vista with their “I’m a Mac” ads, so do they actually expect Microsoft drop their price-focused campaign on grounds that it is outdated? Personally, I think taking this matter into legal territory would be a PR disaster for Apple. What’s your take?

Permalink to story.

So Apple is allowed to make PC's look like complete *****s in their commercials, but Microsoft isn't allowed to say Macs are too expensive in theirs?

I'm not buying this. Since when does Apple "pressure" MS on any of their ads? They usually just come up with a better ad...

giggles at above comment. Ya apple can lie about problems with vista that where fixed with SP1 but they cry about the truth in apple pricing. This just makes me laugh. talk about poor sports and hypocrites. this is almost as bad as when they said their laptops could run off the same amount of power as a lightbulb.

This just makes me laugh. talk about poor sports and hypocrites. this is almost as bad as when they said their laptops could run off the same amount of power as a lightbulb.

I'm not familiar with that story, but most laptops whether they are Apple or PCs will easily run off the power it takes to power a lightbulb. The highest power consuming Apple laptop is their 17" MBP. It uses an 85W power adapter and you can use the computer and still have it charge the battery so most (if not all) of the time its using less than 85W.

I thought Apple was proud that their overpriced notebooks were overpriced. Isn't that part of the snob appeal of owning one of those stylish things? No one buys a mac to save money over a comparable PC....do they?

I have to say that MS's new commercials are great. I don't think its good publicity to ask the other company to stop though. I never remember MS asking Apple to stop the Im a Mac commercials, just make a better commercial.

They will always be rivals, and this is what rivals do, but Apple was not smart to ask them to stop.

PC FTW!

i thought macs where more expensive for their "built quality".. plz give us a break and stop acting like a little kid.

I doubt the validity of the story. Lets look at what we know here:

It is being reported from comments made by Microsoft COO Kevin Turner
And you know why I know they're working? Because two weeks ago we got a call from the Apple legal department saying, hey -- this is a true story -- saying, "Hey, you need to stop running those ads, we lowered our prices." They took like $100 off or something. It was the greatest single phone call in the history that I've ever taken in business.

Its phrased to seem like it was a legal threat, it seems unlikely a legal threat would be placed to the COO of Microsoft for some ads.

If it was a legal threat it would be done through a Cease and Desist letter not a phone call.

It is more likely that it was a friendly request to get Microsoft to quit quoting old notebook prices in the commercials. I believe one commercial even shows a shot of a 15" MBP for $1999, its current price is $1899. So Apple does have a right to request that Microsoft not show old prices for Apple hardware.

The whole thing just seems like there was a lot of truth stretching going on to end up making people think Apple wants to play unfair.

It is more likely that it was a friendly request to get Microsoft to quit quoting old notebook prices in the commercials. I believe one commercial even shows a shot of a 15" MBP for $1999, its current price is $1699. So Apple does have a right to request that Microsoft not show old prices for Apple hardware.

The whole thing just seems like there was a lot of truth stretching going on to end up making people think Apple wants to play unfair.

You probably hit the nail on the head right there. That seems like the most logical conclusion.

Of course, the commercials themselves could have been shot months ago, so prices would be from months ago.

Apple talks about issues with Windows that haven't existed since Windows 98, so screw off Jobs, Microsoft can go there.

Justin said:
Of course, the commercials themselves could have been shot months ago, so prices would be from months ago.

But I think you are legally obligated to be truthful in the ads, they could have gotten by with being vague or avoiding showing the price tag, or by showing a "prices current as of _/__/__".

Why not show the pricing of the apple notebooks? That's like selling someone a car, but telling them they cant look around at the other car price tags before purchase.

Apples just pissed M$ finally came up with a practical and more factual add than their latest "Hi I'm a Mac, this is PC" commercial.

And so what if they dropped the prices by 100 dollars, they are still expensive and there isnt a single model that you can go into bestbuy and pick up for the "$1000" price point of the PC commercial even after the price drop that's comparable to any pc notebook you place it next to at the same price.

I'm glad Kevin Turner kind of "laughed" it off. Someone told apple "no" and now they try to get pissy. Sounds like the whining little brother they are.

How many average consumers think Macs aren't PC's? A lot I bet considering they've been running those "I'm a Mac" ads for years now. I've run into many including my own family who think so. Apple thinks there Macs are above being a Personal Computer, instead of making it OS X - Windows debate. Then Microsoft can play the same game as them with pricing. But I do agree with SNG on it more likely being a friendly request.

I think Steve jobs hatred for Windows and their over aggressive campaigning to down grade Windows and PC is sending the wrong message to the public. Mac have to promote their products not by despise Windows or PC but rather by creative Ads. Seems like the motivation for Mac is the hatred for PC.

I'm going to agree with Justin and SNGX1275. This seems to be the only logical explanation assuming that this actually happened to begin with.

But I think you are legally obligated to be truthful in the ads,
Ya Vol! So when exactly were Apple ads ever truthful? Mostly they're a bunch of innuendo mixed with blatant lies, to the point of ridiculousness!

My "favorite", (read most infuriating) was the one where "PC" was standing there with a "C++ GUI programming manual" and the pseudointellectual a**hole was claiming the Macs were the only machines that could handle music and photo chores. Yeah, that's truthful, as least if you believe that Steve Jobs is the tooth fairy.

I actually hope M$ ups their game with forthcoming commercials and leaves the nitwits who do Apples' ad campaigns hawking IPhones, while I change the channel. This is coming from someone who hates M$, so that should clarify my position on how annoying I find Apple ads.

Ahhh, poor Stevie, did you piss the big guy off? Now you're whining because he gave you a black eye. Sorry D****B**, the pity department's closed.

BTW, since you can actually buy a Windows laptop that will do as much or more than a Mac for 2/3rds of the price, what is Apple claiming is the deception?

I find it hilarious that after all these years of anti-Microsoft propaganda from Apple, they are suddenly offended. They're scared, and they should be. Microsoft is cleaning up the sins of the vista with 7 and pumping twice as much R&D this year from last. Windows manages their business effectively with companies such as HP and Dell so well that their prices are quite frankly un-beatable in the Apple realm. I'm really curious to see how this turns out.

When they are showing exact prices that is where the issue arises, since those prices aren't valid anymore. Microsoft would likely have been fine being vague. This is just my understanding of what is allowed, I could be wrong, and this is pure speculation based on a pretty unbelievable statement from Microsoft's COO.

What is a COO doing taking phone calls from Apple's marketing dept. I doubt Apple would call the COO about it, and I actually doubt Apple would call at all. Really, when you think about it Apple has been pretty harsh on PCs for years now in their commercials, I really don't think they would be so callous? to get upset and tell Microsoft to quit.

The phone call may not have even taken place, and if it did, it seems more likely that IF it went down like the dude claims, then he was likely talking to someone pulling a prank.

I own an iPhone and a PC.
They should both stop whining and just focus on making better products.

I own an iPhone and a PC.
They should both stop whining and just focus on making better products.

This is what they're doing, although I must say the top of the line mac pc's have mid grade rebadged hardware. Its decent, but cost 2-3x what it would cost to just build a PC and 1.5-2x more than a similar pc build.

I think your statement should have been "Apple should focus on making better machines for the price point they charge and stop whining about others marketing schemes."

Apart from coding Iphone applications (which you cant even run without paying apple money or jailbreaking the iphone), what is the point of a mac? Having been in possession of one at work for nearly 3 months, I hardly turn it on anymore.

All MS has to do is one mild edit to the commercial, and Apple can't say a thing about it. Just put one of those "to protect the innocent" blur effects over the last 3 digits of the price shown on the Apple products (but leave the 1 in the thousands place), and it becomes obvious that they are over the $1000 limit, but not showing an incorrect price. Problem solved. If they edit the commercials to the dropped prices, all Apple has to do to screw with them again is another small price drop, then start whining.

If it's truly a case of whining over unfair advertising or some other crap, then I say Apple should bring it to the forefront, throw up a huge legal battle, and then Microsoft can just throw up official transcripts showing, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that Apple products are MUCH more expensive. And while they were at it, they could bring up many of the Apple ads and prove how false the information being presented was, probably resulting in a countersuit... It would be the stupidest PR move ever for Apple to push any kind of legal issue.

Especially after the "I'm a mac" ads, Apple can shove it. Their ads were filled with blatant lies and irrelevant commentary. Oh and they didn't even show anything positive about their own products. MS ads showed the macs for like 2 seconds, then focused on what the PCs had. Although I will say that both parties are capable of producing higher quality ads, especially when the products being advertised are so expensive and presumably took a lot of intelligence to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back