Apple prices Mac OS X 10.7 Lion at $30, coming next month

Emil

Staff

Apple today announced that Mac OS X version 10.7 Lion will be available in July as a download from the Mac App Store for $30.00 (only as an upgrade to Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard). The eighth major release will add more than 250 features and 3,000 developer APIs to the company's desktop operating system. Mac OS X Lion Server will require Lion and will also be available next month from the Mac App Store for $50.00.

As expected, the OS will not be available for purchase in retail stores on a physical optical disc. The download will weigh in at around 4GB, or around the size of a typical DVD.

Lion adds new multitouch gestures and animations that let you interact directly with content on the screen. New gestures include momentum scrolling, tapping or pinching your fingers to zoom in on a web page or image, and swiping left or right to turn a page or switch between full screen apps (read a full preview of OS X Lion here).

The addition of system-wide support for full screen apps means developers can take advantage of the entire display. With a single click, your app fills the display and you can swipe from one window to another, between full screen apps, or back to your Desktop, Dashboard, or Spaces without ever leaving full screen. Apple has updated its iWork and iLife apps, as well as Safari, iTunes, Mail, FaceTime, and others, to take advantage of full screen apps.

Apple has also added Mission Control, which combines Exposé, full screen apps, Dashboard, and Spaces into one unified experience for a bird's eye view of every app and window running on your Mac. With a simple swipe, your desktop zooms out to display your open windows grouped by app, thumbnails of your full screen apps and your Dashboard, and allows you to instantly navigate anywhere with a tap.

With Lion, the Mac App Store is now built-in, so you can buy apps with your iTunes account, download, and install them. Apps automatically install directly to Launchpad (a new home for all your apps), and with Lion's release, the Mac App Store will be able to deliver smaller "delta" app updates and new apps that can take advantage of features like In-App Purchase and Push Notifications.

Lion includes a redesigned Mail app with a new widescreen layout and built-in support for Microsoft Exchange 2010. The new Conversations feature groups related messages into a scrollable timeline while the improved search feature suggests matches by person, subject, and label as you type.

"The Mac has outpaced the PC industry every quarter for five years running and with OS X Lion we plan to keep extending our lead," Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, said in a statement. "The best version of OS X yet, Lion is packed with innovative features such as new Multi-Touch gestures, system-wide support for full screen apps, and Mission Control for instantly accessing everything running on your Mac."

Permalink to story.

"The Mac has outpaced the PC industry every quarter for five years running"

Except in the market share quarter.

Princeton said:

Actually, as a company, Apple has more market share in the computer world than any other company. Obviously if you combine all companies that sell Windows computers Apple doesn't when, but compared to individual companies like Dell, Acer, Sony, etc, Apple wins.

I'd have to be stupid to use overpriced hardware... I guess the world needs stupid people.

Apple=overpriced junk, I dare someone to google how much a 1 or 2gb stick cost from them, it's enough to buy a new notebook or laptop.

Anyone need a 4gb stick o wait they're $200.... and they're slow.
http://store.apple.com/us/memorymodel/ME_IMAC_S11_27

How much does a normal stick of DDR3 cost for a desktop? $35....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006050%20600006067&IsNodeId=1&name=4GB

@Princeton the Mac has grown 28% in the last quarter while the PC has decreased by 1%. That's actually really impressive since they are the only distributors of OS X.

saturday said:
Princeton said:

Actually, as a company, Apple has more market share in the computer world than any other company. Obviously if you combine all companies that sell Windows computers Apple doesn't when, but compared to individual companies like Dell, Acer, Sony, etc, Apple wins.

And don't forget, OSX has a 100% market share in computers that are legally allowed to run OSX.

And they have 100% market share amongst Apple owners.

Moving the food around your plate to convince your mom that you finished your dinner doesn't make the amount of food on your plate decrease.

Apple still has to breach 10% market share of OS, and all that BS about a tablet being a PC and Apple beating Dell, is just parlor tricks designed to cover up the fact that after 3 decades of existence Apple has yet to breach a 10% market share for their OS in the US, let alone globally.

All this market share mumbo jumbo is designed to give the illusion that OSX is more popular than it is, and to give Apple a disproportionate voice in the market. 9 out of 10 people buying a PC will not buy a Mac, they will buy something that runs Windows. And when they go to buy their next computer, their first criteria will be OS, not Dell or HP.

OSX is a niche product as it has always been since it came into existence. No amount of re-categorization is going to change this.

marioestrada said:
@Princeton the Mac has grown 28% in the last quarter while the PC has decreased by 1%. That's actually really impressive since they are the only distributors of OS X.

Growing 28% from less than 10% isn't impressive at all. That's like saying I have 10 grams of food and I increased it by 50%. Big deal, now you have five more grams . Now someone who has 1000 grams increases it by 50%. They just added 500 grams. Percentage increases don't matter because even 28% increase wouldn't be the equivalent of a one percent increase for windows.

marioestrada said:

Pretty easy to grow by 28% when you're moving 3 million units, compared to 50 million. Stats can imply whatever you want them to, with a little creativity.

Princeton said:
marioestrada said:

Growing 28% from less than 10% isn't impressive at all. That's like saying I have 10 grams of food and I increased it by 50%. Big deal, now you have five more grams . Now someone who has 1000 grams increases it by 50%. They just added 500 grams. Percentage increases don't matter because even 28% increase wouldn't be the equivalent of a one percent increase for windows.

whoops. Looks like you don't need me to give him the stats lesson. You handled it just fine on your own :)

Pretty easy to grow by 28% when you're moving 3 million units, compared to 50 million. Stats can imply whatever you want them to, with a little creativity.

:haha:

Harvard President Lawrence Lowell wrote in 1909 that statistics, "...like veal pies, are good if you know the person that made them, and are sure of the ingredients.

pretty much what Princeton and Raswan said...

gwailo247 said:
And don't forget, OSX has a 100% market share in computers that are legally allowed to run OSX.

And they have 100% market share amongst Apple owners.

Moving the food around your plate to convince your mom that you finished your dinner doesn't make the amount of food on your plate decrease.

Apple still has to breach 10% market share of OS, and all that BS about a tablet being a PC and Apple beating Dell, is just parlor tricks designed to cover up the fact that after 3 decades of existence Apple has yet to breach a 10% market share for their OS in the US, let alone globally.

All this market share mumbo jumbo is designed to give the illusion that OSX is more popular than it is, and to give Apple a disproportionate voice in the market. 9 out of 10 people buying a PC will not buy a Mac, they will buy something that runs Windows. And when they go to buy their next computer, their first criteria will be OS, not Dell or HP.

OSX is a niche product as it has always been since it came into existence. No amount of re-categorization is going to change this.

Princeton said:

I love articles like these, because they usually invoke good debate. It is in these comments where you see facts triumph over subjective, baseless opinions. And also because like-minded people are kind enough to elaborate on things I would have otherwise said.

Amazing how many people who have no interest is Apple products, take the time to write about how bad hey are, and that we who do buy them are fools. So who's really the fool??

Guest said:
Amazing how many people who have no interest is Apple products, take the time to write about how bad hey are, and that we who do buy them are fools. So who's really the fool??

They are good Samaritans trying to make you see the error of your ways :)

With Lion, Apple are baking in quite a few useful foreword looking features and rewarding Apple users with a winning price.

It only follows that childish Windows users would lash out in frustration and envy due to the over-priced, under-featured Windows fixes.... I mean upgrades they had to fork over big time for.

Great hardware with a great OS that has proven itself to provide a significantly higher ROI compared to PC for most users.

Nice work Apple. I think it may be time for me to dump my Anti-virus, Crapware choked plastic piece of Windows junk for a computer that I can be happy with for more than 6 months and don't have to pay a small fortune to update the OS to one that actually works like it was supposed to in the first place.

Guest said:
With Lion, Apple are baking in quite a few useful foreword looking features and rewarding Apple users with a winning price.

It only follows that childish Windows users would lash out in frustration and envy due to the over-priced, under-featured Windows fixes.... I mean upgrades they had to fork over big time for.

Great hardware with a great OS that has proven itself to provide a significantly higher ROI compared to PC for most users.

Nice work Apple. I think it may be time for me to dump my Anti-virus, Crapware choked plastic piece of Windows junk for a computer that I can be happy with for more than 6 months and don't have to pay a small fortune to update the OS to one that actually works like it was supposed to in the first place.

It would seem that you have been talking to people who don't know what they are doing when it comes to using/purchasing a computer. I've had my current computer for nearly 4 years now. Cost me less than 1k to begin with, upgraded one or two parts totaling about 100 bucks over that timespan, and haven't had any problems with it whatsoever.
I don't have any problems with Macs, but i certainly wouldn't be willing to fork out that amount of cash for a UI that I can get easily on a windows system...

Hey flukeh, check out http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/11piubpwiqubf06/event/ .

Kind of impressive UI - quite a few nice tricks here that my Windows can't do.

....[ ]...It only follows that childish Windows users would lash out in frustration and envy due to the over-priced, under-featured Windows fixes.... I mean upgrades they had to fork over big time for.
Why is it that all our "guests", turn out to be nothing more inventive than brainwashed, itinerant, Apple fanbois / trolls, brandishing their obviously inflated sense of self worth, in a delusional manner that they seem proud of.

Since you're too self absorber to notice, I'd though I'd mention the fact that Apples and PCs are built from the same parts, bought from the same suppliers. Although most of Crapple's stuff, comes from Foxconn's slave army!

OK, first there's no such thing as "genuine plastic" so here again, your Mac is made of the same crap plastic as are PCs. Second, let's suppose, for an absurd moment, that you're right about all this nonsense you've posted. Wouldn't it be more productive and satisfying to you, if you'd simply set your iPhone on vibrate, sit on it, and go off and play quietly with your iPad. Who knows, maybe after a year or two, you'll figure out a use for it.

Oh and BTW, if the battery "craps" out on your phone, no biggie, just send it to China to have a new one installed. (Don't forget to rinse it off first)....:rolleyes:

red1776 said:

:haha:

Harvard President Lawrence Lowell wrote in 1909 that statistics, "...like veal pies, are good if you know the person that made them, and are sure of the ingredients.

pretty much what Princeton and Raswan said...

Sex Panther - 60% of the time it works every time.

"your Mac is made of the same crap plastic as are PCs"

I didn't know that aluminum was a petroleum product. Thanks for enlightening us Captain Crappy!

Guest said:

I didn't know that aluminum was a petroleum product. Thanks for enlightening us Captain Crappy!

I didn't know that Macs are completely made out of aluminum.

Thanks for enlightening me Guest.

In the one or two Crapples that are aluminum, it's probably aluminum from recycled beer cans.

(From Wikipedia) The most notable feature of the Mac Mini is its size. The original design measured only 6.5 inches (16.5 cm) by 6.5 inches (16.5 cm) by 2 inches (5.1 cm). The exterior of the original Mac Mini was made of aluminum capped with polycarbonate plastic on the top and bottom. The original design had no visible screws and was not meant to be upgraded by the user. The back of the machine contains the I/O ports and vents for the cooling system. It had an external power supply.
Is polycarbonate an aluminum alloy?

The 2010 Mac-Mini does indeed have an all beer can cover, and at long last, guess what....it even has HDMI. Wow that's some serious forward thinkin' goin' on there!

Oh, lest I forget, the CPU in the new Macs is one of them nasty Intel jobbies, like they've always put into PCs. Come to think of it, Apple didn't even really hit 10% percent market share until they started using PC parts. Or have they hit 10% market share yet? I don't pay much attention. I know, they don't sell that many, and that makes you elite, right? It's like I can read your mind.

Does this new version of the same OS have still have the bouncing icons? You know the user interface that made you feel like you were right there with the rest of your fanboi friends at "Sesame Place".

BTW, you don't have to wait for a physical disability to apply for Social Security, your severe mental defect would be enough to get the ball rolling for you.

Nice OS upgrade. Looks quick and painless for users and the price beats the living crap out of my Windows RobYouBlind Upgrade.

Apple is on a role. Just wish they would stop saying nebulous things like "the best OS X ever" etc.

Back