Apple releases Core i5 and i7 MacBook Pro models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

In a widely anticipated move, Apple has finally updated its MacBook Pro line of notebook computers with Intel's latest chips and several other improvements across the board. Both the 15 and 17-inch models are now available with a Core i5 chip as standard and the i7 as an option. Although the 13-inch model still uses a Core 2 Duo processor, Apple has seen fit to increase the base RAM configuration to 4GB on all models and bump the hard drive and SSD options.

Replacing the Nvidia 9400M and 9600M GT cards of previous gen models is the GeForce GT 320M and 330M, with a choice of graphics memory options. The 15 and 17-inch MacBooks will use Nvidia's Optimus technology will be able to switch between the on-package Intel HD integrated graphics and the discrete GPU for a healthy boost in battery life*. Apple quotes a ten hour runtime for the 13-inch model and from eight to nine hours on the larger two.

The 15-inch model also gains the option of a higher resolution screen with either glossy or matte coatings: 1680 x 1050 pixels against the standard 1440 x 900. All other features are pretty much the same, as is the starting price for each model: $1,199 for the 13-inch MacBook Pro, $1,799 for the 15-inch version and $2,299 the 17-inch behemoth. The new notebooks will start shipping within 24 hours, according to Apple's store.

*Update: AppleInsider informs that the GPU switching technology used on the MacBooks was developed in-house by Apple and is not Nvidia's Optimus.

Permalink to story.

Looks like your prices are backwards. You have the 13" costing more than the 17" - typo it seems... HTH

Whew! Just in time!! I was about to pay $495 for a Windows 7 laptop with the same specs! Now I can get the Macbook for only $1700 more!! Good thing the economy is so robust!

White Hides All Sins, in Car Painting and Computers.....!

Whew! Just in time!! I was about to pay $495 for a Windows 7 laptop with the same specs! Now I can get the Macbook for only $1700 more!! Good thing the economy is so robust!
Yeah well, yours wouldn't be that ugly a** Apple white now would it, Mr Smarty Pants?

All things considered, MacBooks are not overpriced as they used to be years ago. You are still paying for a robust machine that is on the upper end of the scale in terms of build quality, so that will cost you. If you plan to run Windows, you have to add a licence to the price, too. But again, it's nothing compared to the PowerPC days.

Compare in the UK a 13inch white Macbook - awful screen (really bad viewing angles), 2Gb ram, 150GB hard drive, Core2Duo cpu. Toshiba Satellite Laptop, 15inch higher quality screen, same ram, same processor, runs Windows 7 instead of OSX. Has a better trackpad, larger hard drive.

The Mac costs £750 and the Toshiba costs £300. I know this because the Macbook is one I was bought at work and the Toshiba is the lappie I got for my mum. And I sit there on the cramped screen with the bad trackpad and wonder where the extra 450quid went.

Also the build quality of the white Macbook isn't great - I think I need to tighten some screws as the side is sort of bendy :)

Compare a Dell Studio 17 and you still pay a large (if not as massive as years ago) premium for Macbooks and Macbook Pros compared to a Windows PC. And I hate to say it - they aren't worth it.

Should have done it first but the UK prices are already up. The 17inch Pro is £1899 with a 2.53ghz i5, 4gb of ram. The dell studio 17 with same cpu is £779 with a decent 1GB Ati 5650 and thats a saving of £1120. With the extra money you could spend £90 adding a Blueray rom to it and still have enough to go on a pretty decent holiday.

High five apple fanboys.. high five..

sorry Yuk but there is a lot more to the experience of a laptop than a cpu. Once you go Mac, you'll never look back - there really is no comparison.

Did you miss the part where I said I have a Macbook that I use on a daily basis? I also support (and therefore use) Macbook Pros constantly - all new and shiny running Snow Leopard and all the many wonderful applications you can think of. And comparing the work Macbook I have for 750quid to the Toshiba with larger screen, larger hard drive, all other specs identical, the 450 extra pounds for the Macbook is incredibly hard to justify. Its absolute insanity.

Yes, I agree, before allegedly little Stevie jobs, decided to do developers wrong, I would have perhaps bought one, but you know now, I dont want an apple at all, take that little Stevie jobs.

can windows 7 b installed in place of Macintosh thts provided with mac buk???? i m having hp core 2 duo n i m planning to hav a mac buk..which one would u suggest in abt $1300..i need i5 configuration..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back