Apple reportedly targeting second-gen iPhone SE launch for early 2020

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Rumor mill: In addition to being more affordable, the new model could also be an attractive option for consumers that simply don’t like the aesthetic direction that Apple has taken its latest flagships. Granted, we won't know what the new iPhones look like until next week but based on leaks, it’s safe to say that not everyone is going to approve of that rear camera array.

Apple is reportedly preparing to launch a lower-cost iPhone in the spring of 2020 to help win over customers in emerging markets. The move could potentially provide a boost to declining iPhone sales as well.

Up to this point, Apple has countered lagging iPhone sales with improved performance in its services and wearables divisions. But addressing the matter directly with a cheaper iPhone could be the best course of action.

Sources familiar with the matter told the Nikkei Asian Review that Apple hasn’t yet settled on a name or price point for the new model but that it is being viewed as the latest generation of the iPhone SE.

That handset, if you recall, was introduced in early 2016 and featured the guts of an iPhone 6S in the body of an iPhone 5S.

Those familiar with the new iPhone said it will be similar to the 4.7-inch iPhone 8 that Apple shipped in 2017 but will feature internal hardware from this year’s flagship iPhones. It’ll also feature a cheaper LCD screen to help keep the cost down.

Masthead credit: iPhone 8 by franz12. iPhone SE by George Dolgikh

Permalink to story.

I doubt I’d upgrade to even a $600 iPhone, so if priced right, this might be my next phone. I’m currently rocking a 6S and love it. It works almost flawlessly after 2 years (much better than my previous Galaxy S4).

I doubt I’d upgrade to even a $600 iPhone, so if priced right, this might be my next phone. I’m currently rocking a 6S and love it. It works almost flawlessly after 2 years (much better than my previous Galaxy S4).

The 6S was arguably their best version. The big 6 was just as solid (plus or plus ultra or whatever it was called).

The 6S was arguably their best version. The big 6 was just as solid (plus or plus ultra or whatever it was called).

I've had the 6 Plus, 6s Plus, 7, XS and XS Max.

As long as this phone offers water resistance and the storage capacity you need, I'd say it's fine. But the 7 was their best phone specifically because of the water resistance and 4K camera.

Hopefully it's a 1080p resolution unlike the XR, which is a bit steep for a phone with a 720p display and single camera, lol.

Same here, on a 6S. Wife loves her SE, won't budge from the form factor that fits perfectly. Curious about this next gen SE...

I only recently upgraded from an iPhone 5 to an SE. I love it.
Apples long term os support is so much better than all of android it is ridiculous.
I hope whatever the SE2 is is essentially an iphone 8C or XC, plastic body, no rear glass. I could take or leave faceId im much happier with touch.

Form factor (aka size) is important IMO -- needs to fit in shirt pocket. Just hate holding a tablet-sized device to my ear when calling.

Same here, on a 6S. Wife loves her SE, won't budge from the form factor that fits perfectly. Curious about this next gen SE...

My entire family has the SE and we love it, but they are getting older and beaten up. Would love a new model of something similar. I refuse to carry a darn tablet around in my back pocket. These newer phones are just too big.

Back