Apple reportedly working on sensors to predict heart attacks

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple is reportedly looking to make a serious splash in the medical field. According to a report from the San Francisco Chronicle, the Cupertino-based company is working on sensor technology that could help predict heart attacks.

The research is being led by Tomlinson Holman, the audio engineer responsible for creating THX. You may be asking yourself what an audio engineer would know about the medical field – and it’d be a valid question.

Apparently, Apple and Holman are focused on the sound that blood makes as it travels through a person’s arteries. A sensor that is capable of monitoring and analyzing such sounds would logically need to be worn on the body at all times. In other words, it could be a perfect fit for the long-rumored Apple iWatch.

We’ve been hearing for a while now that Apple is planning to focus on fitness and health with iOS 8 and the iWatch. Apple hired medical device expert Marcelo Malini Lamego, the former CTO of medical device company Cercacor, last month while the company added Michael O’Reilly last summer. O’Reilly formerly served as the chief medical officer and executive VP of medical affairs at Masimo before joining Apple.

All of this suggests Apple is planning for the iWatch to be a much more impactful device than most initially expected. It’d also be a completely different path compared to the direction that Pebble, Samsung, Sony and others have taken with their connected watches.

Permalink to story.

iDoctor is in the works! medical doctors may need to find an alternative word for "doctor" if apple decides to patent iDoctor. :)
(I'm going to see my healer later...)

Last edited:
guest:
And iPhone will show a message - You will get heart attck tomorrow at 14.39
thanks Apple
but since apple always have a problem with its time application, the user will die tonight.

The heart attack sensor could come in handy (or not) when Apple afficionados finally discover how much Apple ripped them off for their products but somehow I don't think a heart sensor will make up for it.

That's what I thought too... I was expecting this article to be about sensors in their stores for when unsuspecting grandparents see the prices for the items on the grandkids Christmas lists.

Is there actually anything you can do medical wise if you knew you are going to have a heartattack?
I'm just curious because otherwise it would make no sense to know that you are getting a heart attack.

Is there actually anything you can do medical wise if you knew you are going to have a heartattack?
I'm just curious because otherwise it would make no sense to know that you are getting a heart attack.
bradycardia (decreased heart beat) or tachycardia (increased heart beat) but since these two signs may be affected by age, temperature, or activity, we really need a doctor and laboratory tests (cadiac enzymes).
the real doctors will get mad if they lose patients (and/or income) due to apple's iMed devices.

Back