Apple responds to bent iPhone 6 Plus phenomenon, says only nine people have contacted them

Shawn Knight

Staff member
apple iphone antennagate iphone 6 iphone 6 plus bendgate bending

First there was “Antennagate” and now Apple is apparently dealing with a whole new issue the Internet has dubbed “Bendgate,” the unintentional bending of the iPhone 6 Plus while performing ordinary tasks like carrying the phone in your pocket.

The phenomenon has captured headlines over the past couple of days and sent Apple shares trending south. The Cupertino-based company has remained mum on the situation… until now.

In statements issued to various publications, Apple said its iPhones are designed, engineered and manufactured to be both beautiful and sturdy. The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus feature a precision engineered unibody enclosure constructed from machining a custom grade of 6000 series anodized aluminum, which is tempered for extra strength.

Apple adds that the phones also feature stainless steel and titanium inserts to reinforce high stress locations and use the strongest glass in the smartphone industry. The company said it chose these high-quality materials and construction very carefully for their strength and durability. They also perform rigorous tests throughout the entire development cycle including 3-point bending, pressure point cycling, sit, torsion and user studies.

As such, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus meet or exceed all of Apple’s standards to endure everyday, real life use. With normal use, Apple notes, a bend in the iPhone is extremely rare. Through the first six days of sales, they’ve had a total of nine customers contact them with a bent iPhone 6 Plus.

Apple didn’t mention what they are doing about the issue (if anything).

It’s always difficult to determine how widespread an issue actually is based on media reports alone. At this point, we know Apple sold more than 10 million iPhones during its first three days of availability. When put into perspective, nine really isn’t very many but it’s a problem nevertheless.

We’ll keep an ear open and report back on any additional comments on the matter.

Permalink to story.

Android fans have run out of things to cry about? now its about how bendable your phone is? you guys are just plain ol weird....

Android fans have run out of things to cry about? now its about how bendable your phone is? you guys are just plain ol weird....
>apple releases a defective product
>The android fanboys are just mad
>apple logic

Apple called, they finally found their last Windows Vista troll
I run android thanks.. I am talking about the android fan-boys... they just gotta cry about something...

The only people crying are those 9 iphone users that have called apple. BTW, there really isn't a term "android fan-boy"; Fan boys are actually those who would line up for a phone. Get over it.

>apple logic
unbelivable... I 100% guaranette ALL andriod manufactors have defective rates 20X then iphones.... and you want to cry about 9 out of 12,000,000? get a grip.

The only people crying are those 9 iphone users that have called apple. BTW, there really isn't a term "android fan-boy"; Fan boys are actually those who would line up for a phone. Get over it.
stick around... watch the andriod boys crowd come out to cry...

I'm curious after watching the video. The 9 users who called about the bending... how much did they weigh? 100lbs of force isn't an easy figure to pull off in one's pocket comfortably w/o substantial cushioning.

>apple logic
unbelivable... I 100% guaranette ALL andriod manufactors have defective rates 20X then iphones.... and you want to cry about 9 out of 12,000,000? get a grip.

There are plenty of bend tests done on youtube with the iPhone 6 plus and it does not go back to it's old shape once bent. Considering that the Galaxy note is the iPhones 6 plus's leading competitor it only made sense to pit them against each other. The thing here is that when the iPhone 6 Plus is put against the same stresses as the note, the note returns to it's shape whereas the iPhone DOES get bent.

But, you know, go ahead and blame this on android users all you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znK652H6yQM

I have a lumia 1520, I don't really care about the Note or the iPhone.

There are plenty of bend tests done on youtube with the iPhone 6 plus and it does not go back to it's old shape once bent. Considering that the Galaxy note is the iPhones 6 plus's leading competitor it only made sense to pit them against each other. The thing here is that when the iPhone 6 Plus is put against the same stresses as the note, the note returns to it's shape whereas the iPhone DOES get bent.

But, you know, go ahead and blame this on android users all you want.

I have a lumia 1520, I don't really care about the Note or the iPhone.

you are missing the point by so much that I think you must have misinterpreted what I was meaning. They are not to blame (and not sure why you would think they would be mistakenly blamed for it), but watch how much they will post/cry/whine about it to look cool in front of their friends.

you are missing the point by so much that I think you must have misinterpreted what I was meaning. They are not to blame (and not sure why you would think they would be mistakenly blamed for it), but watch how much they will post/cry/whine about it to look cool in front of their friends.
I didn't misinterpret what you meant at all. You are calling people who are giving valid criticism of a product fanboys. I was making fun of you for doing that.

"I put my Note 3 in a vise and hit it with a hammer and it broke. Of all the low down, dirty things...how dare Samsung make a breakable phone! I demand Samsung do something about it! It just isn't fair!"

[said with a Brian Regan vocal tone]

I didn't misinterpret what you meant at all. You are calling people who are giving valid criticism of a product fanboys. I was making fun of you for doing that.
you must not surf here much to not know what to expect from most of the kids here. Unless you too think 9 out of 12,000,000+ is an unheard-of travesty? Have a good day.

you must not surf here much to not know what to expect from most of the kids here. Unless you too think 9 out of 12,000,000+ is an unheard-of travesty? Have a good day.
There is evidence all over the internet that this has happened, I even posted a video where they proved this isn't a 9 in 12,000,000 thing. Believing Apple on this one is the same as believing the iPhone 4 dropped calls because you held it wrong. The iPhone 4 dropped calls because it was poorly designed. The Iphone 6 is bending because it is poorly designed. I gave you proof, I can give you more proof if you'd like. However, there is nothing I can do for you if you ignore the evidence before you just to support your own opinion.

The iPhone 6 bends. The iPhone 6 Plus bends more often. It is so bendable that reviewers are saying get the 6 instead of the 6 plus because you're more likely to bend it under normal usage.

I really don't care that much either way, I was never going to buy a note or a 6 plus.

Last edited:
Antennagate reminds me of how I held my hostess pie in high school to prevent it from breaking up. The bullies criticized this, Never knwe what they were talking about till years later. One guy was actually named rehack.

There is evidence all over the internet that this has happened, I even posted a video where they proved this isn't a 9 in 12,000,000 thing. Believing Apple on this one is the same as believing the iPhone 4 dropped calls because you held it wrong. The iPhone 4 dropped calls because it was poorly designed. The Iphone 6 is bending because it is poorly designed. I gave you proof, I can give you more proof if you'd like. However, there is nothing I can do for you if you ignore the evidence before you just to support your own opinion.

The iPhone 6 bends. The iPhone 6 Plus bends more often. It is so bendable that reviewers are saying get the 6 instead of the 6 plus because you're more likely to bend it under normal usage.

I really don't care that much either way, I was never going to buy a note or a 6 plus.

You seen it on you tube? You win. People are now intentionally bending them to see if they can to get money/freebies/publicity as well. Its amazing how each one of the people has over 100lbs of pressure JUST right in their pocket. Just keep living the teenage dream of hating apple because your friends say its cool to do so. Have a good day.

I guaran-damn-tee that more than 9 people would have reported this if it was NOT happening. So you know damn well more than 9 are reporting it now.

I believe a lot of people have not even realized that their iPhone 6 Plus is bent. My roommate only noticed hers was bent after reading news about the issue. While hers is only a minor bend (so far), it is still bent. The fact that it happened to my roommate, I seriously doubt she was just number 10 out of 12,000,000.

Of course a phone case will likely prevent bending, which I'm sure the majority of people have. Regardless the phone was poorly designed.

At the end of it all I'd be more upset about the outdated specs, but Apple users are accustom to buying overpriced outdated hardware.

It's not a bug, it's a feature, and Apple is behind competition as usual. Galaxy Nexus had this feature back in 2011.

9 users reports their iphone bends doesn't mean only 9 iphones bends from all 12.000.000 units and you really believe that? Where's your logic? LoL.. Have a good day

Back