Apple says Meta's 50 percent virtual sales commission is 'hypocrisy'

Polycount

Staff
In context: A couple days ago, we reported on Meta's decision to take a whopping 47.5 percent cut of revenue generated through sales of creator-made digital goods in its "Horizon Worlds" VR app. This news amused some since Meta has been a long-time critic of the 30 percent profit split digital storefronts typically demand, arguing that it's an unnecessarily high figure.

Meta defended its position, saying its cut of the pie is "competitive" in the market. That was confusing since, again, the industry standard here is 30 percent, not anywhere near 50. The news left many wondering whether Meta was backtracking on its stance or simply adopting a "rules for thee, but not for me" approach to revenue splitting.

Whatever Meta's mindset might've been, its tech rivals have wasted no time in calling the social media giant out for its perceived "hypocrisy." In an email to MarketWatch, Apple spokesman Fred Sainz offered the following statement:

Meta has repeatedly taken aim at Apple for charging developers a 30% commission for in-app purchases in the App Store — and have used small businesses and creators as a scapegoat at every turn. Now — Meta seeks to charge those same creators significantly more than any other platform. [Meta's] announcement lays bare Meta's hypocrisy. It goes to show that while they seek to use Apple's platform for free, they happily take from the creators and small businesses that use their own.

Sainz's words may come from a place of frustration, but there's truth to them regardless. Remember, content developers are often why virtual worlds like Horizon Worlds, Roblox, and other platforms thrive. You'd think it would benefit Meta to take a lower commission (for a time, at least) than the industry standard to entice content developers to create for the app. For one reason or another, the company is going the opposite route.

As a refresher, Meta's 47.5 percent commission isn't an all-in sum. It combines a 30 percent cut from the Meta Quest Store and a separate 17.5 percent split from Horizon Worlds. Meta's "competitive rate" claim refers to the fact that Horizon Worlds will eventually be available on other VR platforms, where its cut would only be 17.5 percent from in-app sales.

That distinction won't matter at all to creators, though, since other VR marketplaces are just as likely to charge the same 30 percent commission as Meta.

Image credit: Medhat Dawoud

Permalink to story.

You know, for all the flaws of the game the corporate wars in Cyberpunk 2077 (Well, in the setting and the cyberpunk red ttrpg companion book not very much the game itself) they were a hell of a lot cooler than this sad nonsense of "No! YOU!" crying about who gets to be the despotic landlord of the internet services on their portal.

I love how companies call each other BS, without addressing their own.

Criticizing Meta's 48% cut, is very hypocritical, from a company like Apple, that charges a fortune for a monitor stand, and many other ridiculous stuff.

It's like they are trying to one up each other, in trying to screw over consumers and developers alike.

Criticizing Meta's 48% cut, is very hypocritical, from a company like Apple, that charges a fortune for a monitor stand, and many other ridiculous stuff.

It's like they are trying to one up each other, in trying to screw over consumers and developers alike.

Came here to say pretty much this exact same thing.

Apple trying to call anyone out on "screwing" over anyone is hypocrisy so rich it gave me diabetes and solved the economic crisis in several countries.

The first and only time I will agree with Apple :)

I like when both companies know that they are crap when it comes to stuff like this, but still like to throw shade at eachother.

Came here to say pretty much this exact same thing.

Apple trying to call anyone out on "screwing" over anyone is hypocrisy so rich it gave me diabetes and solved the economic crisis in several countries.
I don't see it that way at all. First, a monitor stand is a different animal than a commission or fee on a SW product. And, I think what Apple is saying, hey, don't point fingers at me when you're doing the same, if not worse than what you're accusing me of doing. I think Apple's stance is let me do my thing, you do your thing and STFU.

It’s amusing watching people attempt to criticise Apple on this, Apple are 100% bang on. Facebook literally created a lawsuit against Apple because they thought Apples 30% cut was too high. And now they go on and charge 50% themselves? What do people hate more? Pure corporate hypocrisy or Apple?

Facebook, sorry l mean, ahem, “meta” is a disgusting company. I urge users to simply uninstall it. After a few days you will wonder why you were spending any time on it before. Oh and let’s stop calling them Meta. It’s literally just a move to shake a bad reputation. Personally I think they should do that by changing their business practises and not their logo.

I think you failed to understand the article/ situation. It was Meta that first called out the high commission on Apple’s platform. Instead of being an example, they doubled down the high commission and charged even more to the developers. All the companies are hypocritical because that is how people are.

Just replace virtual stores with mob protection money. Thanks for setting the trend Apple, you're the best!

Back