Apple tried to sue a small iPhone repair shop in Norway, the repair shop won

William Gayde

Staff

It's no secret that Apple doesn't want you to be able to easily repair your devices. While almost anyone can open an Android repair shop, opening an Apple repair shop requires certification and that you follow a strict set of rules that Apple defines. Apple has even gone after unauthorized repair shops with lawsuits in an attempt to put them out of business. Last year they filed suit to try to do this to a small store in Norway but the court has just recently sided with the repair shop.

As originally reported by Motherboard, Norwegian custom's officials seized a shipment of aftermarket iPhone 6 and 6S replacement screens last year. Apple was alerted and claimed the owner was violating their trademarks by using aftermarket parts without authorization. Apple sued the owner, Henrik Huseby, and offered him a settlement agreement if he promised "not to manufacture, import, sell, market, or otherwise deal with any products that infringe Apple’s trademarks."

Despite the five lawyers Apple put on the case, the courts ruled in Huseby's favor. His lawyer gave the following statement to Motherboard:

“In this case, Apple indirectly proves what they really want.They want monopoly on repairs so they can keep high prices. And they therefore do not want to sell spare parts to anyone other than ‘to themselves.’”

Importing mobile phone components is not illegal in Norway, but Huseby's Chinese supplier sent him replacement screens with an inked-over Apple logo on them. This is where the legal questions and gray area start to form. The court decided that:

[The laws do not] prohibit a Norwegian mobile repair person from importing mobile screens from Asian manufacturers that are 100 percent compatible and completely identical to Apple’s own iPhone screens, so long as Apple’s trademark is not applied to the product.

Since these were phone screens and the Apple logo was only printed on the inside, it would not be visible to consumers. The court thus viewed it as not infringing on Apple's trademark.

Although this victory is a good sign for consumers, the legal details of the case only apply in Norway. In the United States, Apple has been heavily lobbying against Right to Repair legislation. They have also worked with government agents to raid third-party iPhone repair shops.

Permalink to story.

They destroy the environment by not letting people repair their devices and they use chinese slave labor (you can call it what you want, they are practically slaves) to the point the slaves ("employees") try to kill them selves instead of just getting a new job, as it's not an option as they are slaves. And on top of that the devices cost more than competition and aren't even that high quality to compensate for the cost. There's really no reason to support such a company and their customers really baffle me in their support for destruction of environment and human lives. All companies want all of the money in the world, I get that, but not all companies destroy the environment on purpose and use slaves. I wonder how many millions/billions they've used to attack these small businesses instead of making their products more easy to repair, more durable or just fixing peoples devices free/cheap for good PR. I've watched some stuff about these repairs and apples solution seems to be new device even in cases where you could repair it, and cheaply (even cheaper if it wasn't made harder on purpose by soldering components and such), again showing they hate the environment. Their recent switch to "100% green energy" was just a scam to get tax cuts and save on costs in the long run, they couldn't care less about actually being green, the PR is more important, if they did you could fix their products or at the minimum they'd do it them selves instead of "giving" you new device.

Apple's searing hatred of people repairing their stuff without them doesn't even stop with "unauthorized" repair shops.

My last job was certified with Apple, but I always dreaded doing hardware repairs on the newer machines because of how they're designed. Older iMacs simply requires suction cups and a screwdriver to get inside; the newer ones require scraping off glue very carefully with a flimsy little proprietary tool. Same with MacBooks, which went from only needing a screwdriver to requiring some crazy mounting mechanism to open the newest models.

And because newer machines solder on so many key components now, the cost and difficulty of repairing parts convinced clients to just order new machines entirely for around the same price...just like Apple wants. :/

Even if the right-to-repair laws go through without being watered down, Apple will do everything in their power to make techs suffer for it.

Without even reading the story, just saying this is wrong. No one should be able to fake your product and this is why their are laws against it. This is NOT a win for consumers and a win for counterfeiters.

It's all very well getting a "compatible screen" but the ones I have installed break far easier than the real ones. The supplier ****ed up, but sense won out in the end, Apple had a point but not really a case .

Without even reading the story, just saying this is wrong. No one should be able to fake your product and this is why their are laws against it. This is NOT a win for consumers and a win for counterfeiters.

Why is that a win for counterfitters? As long as you tell your customers that is not an original Apple product and give them price according to that it shouldn't be illegal.

Just like you can buy original brakes for your car or "fake" ones from probably 20 other manufacturers. You *should* always have a choice - pay full price for original part or pay less for replacement part.

This is 100% not wrong and has nothing to do with counterfeits. It's about compatible hardware and the right to repair your product with them. Nobody was claiming that the screens were original. What Appel is doing right now is downright criminal.

This is 100% not wrong and has nothing to do with counterfeits. It's about compatible hardware and the right to repair your product with them. Nobody was claiming that the screens were original. What Appel is doing right now is downright criminal.
You would feel differently if you had a business and someone was putting YOUR business name and mark on their product. If you deny this, you are lying. Also, their phone, their warranty. I too would not warranty anything any consumer tried to fix themselves. It is not my responsibility for your own actions that may lead to breakage. That is on you and you choice to mess with it.

In general, when Customers have a choice, it is a win. I personally think the apple users deserve no choice, they deserve apple's hegemony with it's base - cue the bouhahaha.

Apple has been heavily lobbying against Right to Repair legislation.
This reason alone [I have other reasons] will keep me from buying Apple.

Any product that comes into my home is from that point my product. I should have the right to repair any product regardless of where the replacement parts come from. If there is a repair component I can buy through standard mail, the problem is not on me. Nor is it the problem of any repair shop.

Apple does not have a monopoly, because we have other manufactures to choose from. But people who buy into Apple's monopolistic practices, support their business as if it was one.

You would feel differently if you had a business and someone was putting YOUR business name and mark on their product. If you deny this, you are lying. Also, their phone, their warranty. I too would not warranty anything any consumer tried to fix themselves. It is not my responsibility for your own actions that may lead to breakage. That is on you and you choice to mess with it.
My feelings? What do my "feelings" have to do with standard practices? Is Apple suddenly a kid who needs our protection? Why don't others do the same then? I haven't seen any Android phones being bricked because the software detected a compatible part after being repaired by someone who is not "authorized".
And if you are talking about feelings then how about the many many repair shops that are being put out of business because Apple is using their power to stop them from being able to repair their products?
I bet you didn't even know that the same thing happens if you use an ORIGINAL screen. Swap the screens between 2 Iphones and you'll brick them.
I also have a question for you. If you have some important data on your iPhone and it breaks and you take it for repairs at Apple, do you know what happens? Regardless of the problem, they just replace everything and you will lose ALL of your data. That's just retarded. They don't repair anything, it's a joke. What's funny is that you pay huge amounts of money for them to destroy your data :D
Other repair shops can and will save your data while also repairing your phone for much cheaper (as it should be done). For more details go watch some yt videos made by Louis Rossmann.

My feelings? What do my "feelings" have to do with standard practices? Is Apple suddenly a kid who needs our protection? Why don't others do the same then? I haven't seen any Android phones being bricked because the software detected a compatible part after being repaired by someone who is not "authorized".
And if you are talking about feelings then how about the many many repair shops that are being put out of business because Apple is using their power to stop them from being able to repair their products?
I bet you didn't even know that the same thing happens if you use an ORIGINAL screen. Swap the screens between 2 Iphones and you'll brick them.
I also have a question for you. If you have some important data on your iPhone and it breaks and you take it for repairs at Apple, do you know what happens? Regardless of the problem, they just replace everything and you will lose ALL of your data. That's just retarded. They don't repair anything, it's a joke. What's funny is that you pay huge amounts of money for them to destroy your data :D
Other repair shops can and will save your data while also repairing your phone for much cheaper (as it should be done). For more details go watch some yt videos made by Louis Rossmann.
1) I don't care about your feelings. I stated a position that is true that is independent from your feelings.
2) I don't care what other manufactures do. This is about this company.
3) I don't care about Apple not caring about shops going out of business. It is not Apples responsiblilty to keep them in business.
4) I do not buy apple so I have not had and apple problem to find out about the data loss. Icloud and backups exist for a reason. It is not apples responsibility to babysit your individual responsibility for your data other then what is defined by agreed upon legal standards.
5) Why repair when replacing is faster quicker and less hassle? Don't like it? Don't buy apple. I don't. You can too I bet.

1) I don't care about your feelings. I stated a position that is true that is independent from your feelings.
2) I don't care what other manufactures do. This is about this company.
3) I don't care about Apple not caring about shops going out of business. It is not Apples responsiblilty to keep them in business.
4) I do not buy apple so I have not had and apple problem to find out about the data loss. Icloud and backups exist for a reason. It is not apples responsibility to babysit your individual responsibility for your data other then what is defined by agreed upon legal standards.
5) Why repair when replacing is faster quicker and less hassle? Don't like it? Don't buy apple. I don't. You can too I bet.
If you don't care about anything then why are you even here dude wasting my time?
As for "backups", you can't backup everything and you can't be expected to keep a fresh up to date backup made everyday. And once your phone stops working you can't make a backup. You pay extra and you get less. Why the hell are you even defending this crap when you know it's an retarded practice done by Apple.
As for "it's faster to replace than to repair". No it isn't faster it's slower. It takes Apple weeks to do something that is normally done in a day or 2.
You are clearly off the mark with everything and your "I don't care attitude" after your arguments got destroyed is pretty much what I expected from someone who doesn't understand the issue.

but Huseby's Chinese supplier sent him replacement screens with an inked-over Apple logo on them.

well, they couldn't scoop the screen manufacturers in China so they sued this guy. IF, by chance the screen used here is identical than the one installed in iphones (because, cmon, how many factories in china could produce the screen and label it as genuine) then in my opinion he deserves to win.

otherwise, most probably he will have to find a new supplier. no need for all this ruckus. people who went for this guy instead of the apple store are not willing to part with their money, period. they do not care if the screen has the apple logo on the back or not.

you all should see the youtube video from a guy assembling a brand new iphone from scratch in Shenzhen:

apple should've probably sued this guy for creating a single iphone and shown it to everyone. /sarcasm

If you don't care about anything then why are you even here dude wasting my time?
As for "backups", you can't backup everything and you can't be expected to keep a fresh up to date backup made everyday. And once your phone stops working you can't make a backup. You pay extra and you get less. Why the hell are you even defending this crap when you know it's an retarded practice done by Apple.
As for "it's faster to replace than to repair". No it isn't faster it's slower. It takes Apple weeks to do something that is normally done in a day or 2.
You are clearly off the mark with everything and your "I don't care attitude" after your arguments got destroyed is pretty much what I expected from someone who doesn't understand the issue.

I care about most everything, just not of your minor concerns or worries. Offended that I don't care about what you care about? Guess what? I don't care. You replied to me. Technically you are wasting my time. Don't want to waste me time or your time? Don't reply. Backs ups are indeed your responsibly and yours alone. Don't like it? Too bad. You have a choice to do it or not. Don't? Then don't. Do? Then do. YOUR choice either way. I do not thing it is a retarded practice from apple. I think it is efficient and best for smooth and fast customer service. Don't like it? Don't use it. Do like it? Then use it. Either way, I don't care. My arguments stand. Don't like it? Guess what? _ ______ ____ .

I care about most everything, just not of your minor concerns or worries. Offended that I don't care about what you care about? Guess what? I don't care. You replied to me. Technically you are wasting my time. Don't want to waste me time or your time? Don't reply. Backs ups are indeed your responsibly and yours alone. Don't like it? Too bad. You have a choice to do it or not. Don't? Then don't. Do? Then do. YOUR choice either way. I do not thing it is a retarded practice from apple. I think it is efficient and best for smooth and fast customer service. Don't like it? Don't use it. Do like it? Then use it. Either way, I don't care. My arguments stand. Don't like it? Guess what? _ ______ ____ .
It seems you no longer want to have a conversation, but just rage at simple facts. See ya and enjoy your "ï don't care attitude" after not being able to make some simple counter-arguments (I have no idea what argument you made "stands").

Having up to date "backups" for my phone is and will always be retarded if the only problem is that a button doesn't work or I break the screen. We can be talking about gigabytes of data because of how large photos and movies can be. You know this, Apple knows this, and everybody else knows this. But I guess some people will always find excuses for such stupid practises.

And you haven't even touched the fact that phone bricks even with original hardware just because it wasn't Apple that replaced them. it's downright criminal.

Do you always make "backups" when you go on vacation? You make a few videos and tens of pictures and you don't have access to wifi. Will you use your entire data plan just to upload them (while taking hours to do so) on the spot? It's unrealistic to expect this from the users and this is just one simple example of many that doesn't involve anything too important.

Last edited:
If you feel your backups are someone else's responsibility so be it. I suggest people take some personal responsibility in life but if you don't want to that's fine. Aside from the obvious, my points are my points and if you don't agree, well.. you know.

If you feel your backups are someone else's responsibility so be it. I suggest people take some personal responsibility in life but if you don't want to that's fine. Aside from the obvious, my points are my points and if you don't agree, well.. you know.
Backups are my responsibility and I never claimed otherwise (and it was never the point I was trying to make, just yours), but it should be Apple's responsibility to repair the phone and while keeping said data if it is posible. You pay extra and you get less. If people want to keep the data Apple is basically forcing you go to other repair shops...oh wait, now you can't.

Is that what you want from life dude? Fight for your rights, don't be apathetic towards such things. You should be able to do something as simple as this without having to lose your warranty or Apple bricking your phone. You are replacing your freaking screen or maybe sensor/button for crying out loud. Even 100% original parts from Apple don't work. You keep avoiding this simple fact and keep hammering the "backups" since that's your only argument that still can be discussed by you.

They destroy the environment by not letting people repair their devices and they use chinese slave labor.
I agree that repairability should be a legally enshrined consumer right. However, I question singling out Apple over its environmental or human rights record. The human rights record because FoxConn also manufactures for Microsoft, Intel, Nintendo, Sony, Toshiba, Amazon, Acer, Dell, Hewlett-Packard and many others. I fully agree that everyone deserves to work under humane conditions, but to single out Apple when all tech giants use Chinese labour is disingenuous. As to the environmental record: ever since Greenpeace lambasted Apple, they have done a reasonably good job of reducing heavy metals and other toxins from their products, they publish LCAs of all their products, their devices have always been among the most energy efficient, and they source 100% renewable power for their operations. Do we have to keep Apple's nose to the grindstone? Yes. But they are probably above average when it comes to environmental impacts, and at least no worse than the rest when it comes to Chinese labour.

Apple has been heavily lobbying against Right to Repair legislation.
This reason alone [I have other reasons] will keep me from buying Apple.

Clifford Cooley, Just to clarify, the Consumer Technology Association is lobbying against the "right to repair", and its members include Samsung, HP, Dell, Microsoft, Best Buy and many others (https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/zmqa49/washington-right-to-repair-iphone-cpu-throttling, https://www.cta.tech/News/Press-Rel...hnology-Association-Launches-New-State.aspx). So I assume you won't be buying any products from Samsung, HP, Dell, Microsoft, Best Buy etc. either?

Back