Apple TV update delivers Vevo, Disney Channel, Weather Channel and more

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple vevo disney channel disney weather channel smithsonian apple tv disney xd

Apple’s latest over-the-air update for Apple TV includes several new apps that could help put the set-top box on a more level playing field compared to the competition. Chief among them is an app for Vevo Music Video which contains more than 75,000 HD music videos, exclusive original programming, live concern performances and Vevo TV, a 24/7 live stream of HD music videos that are hand-selected for viewers.

The other new apps include the Disney Channel, Disney XD, the Smithsonian Channel and the Weather Channel. The two apps from Disney are long overdue considering Apple’s longstanding partnership with the company. Users will be required to provide cable provider authentication to use these apps, however, so they aren’t exactly ideal for cord-cutters.

The Weather Channel app, Smithsonian app and Vevo are all available without any cable subscription package. The Weather Channel features live broadcasts during major storms, we’re told, which could be useful if you can’t receive over-the-air signals for local news broadcasts.

Apple added two major additions to their lineup earlier this year: HBO Go and WatchESPN. Naturally, both apps also require a separate cable subscription with select providers. HBO subscribers have unlimited access to the network’s catalog while WatchESPN can live stream five ESPN networks. Users can also watch on-demand video highlights.

The free update has been pushed out live to all Apple TV users so you should be able to get in on the action the next time you boot up the machine.

Permalink to story.

I don't own this device, but a friend is into Apple products. So we both when to the Apple store, strange experience for me where all my life has been mostly Geo Works Pro, DOS, Windows and Android. Apple users have a different way of dealing with things in there own environment.

Anyway he had purchased the Apple TV very tiny box he also paid extra for the Apple 6 Ft HDMI cable. I know but he wanted theirs. We get back to his place and installed the device on his new 46-inch HDTV.

Well it seems you need an Apple account to get this device up and running. For some strange reason he couldn't get the device working. WiFi didn't want to connect at all. I had to try a few things and got it too work.

He was up and running and couldn't wait to try it out. I had noticed it was missing some features, unlike my SONY SMP-N100 and SMP-N200 have. But in all hopefully this update will give me some more features.

To me there should be a standard of what can go one these devices for internet streaming. There is so much out there to be added.

If someone would create a set top box that allowed you to purchase channels A-la-carte and stream them over the web they would put the satellite/cable providers out of business. Perhaps this is the beginning.

SageTV with SageMVP you could get all what you can get from streaming media that was back 2007 to 2010. Prior to that was HTPC. Look were we are today still streaming but requires ISP to get the media down to your HDTV.

Netflix is cheap from $7.99 plus tax a month you get a lot of choices and they now have their own Original Series. DTV and Netflix is all I need. CATV and SATV just way to expensive and those prices keep on going up.

I bought this from Fry's 6 months ago and for me it has been doing the job. The best feature for me is I can browse youtube when my wife is using the computer. But I also check out MLB game highlights.

I wish they made the youtube UI better because its clunky.
I also wish they would add a web browser.

Back