Apple wants to trademark images of... apples

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! It seems that Apple really wants people to think of the Cupertino company whenever they see an image of the fruit - and not just one with the iconic bitemark. The tech giant is trying to trademark images of actual apples around the world.

Wired UK writes that Switzerland's oldest and largest fruit farmer's organization, Fruit Union Suisse, has used a symbol of a red apple against a white cross for most of its 111-year history. But it might be forced to change that logo due to Apple's quest to trademark the fruit.

Apple has been trying to trademark depictions of apples in Switzerland since 2017 when it submitted an application to the Swiss Institute of Intellectual Property (IPI). It wants the IP rights for a realistic, black-and-white depiction of a generic Granny Smith apple.

Apple's request included a list of potential uses - electronic, digital, and audiovisual consumer goods and hardware – but only some were granted as generic images of common goods like apples were considered to be in the public domain.

The company appealed the decision in the spring as it looks to secure the rights for common uses of the apple image, such as audiovisual material meant for television and other transmissions. The case is still proceeding through the courts.

"We have a hard time understanding this, because it's not like they're trying to protect their bitten apple," Fruit Union Suisse director Jimmy Mariéthoz says. "Their objective here is really to own the rights to an actual apple, which, for us, is something that is really almost universal […] that should be free for everyone to use."

Mariéthoz says that there are concerns over the case as nobody knows what type of apple images the iPhone maker will pursue if it believes them to be infringements on its trademarks.

It's not just Switzerland where Apple is making requests for these types of trademarks. World Intellectual Property Organization records show it has tried the same thing in dozens of countries and has found success in Japan, Turkey, Israel, and Armenia.

Apple isn't just focused on trademarking images of its namesake fruit. The company launched a trademark lawsuit in 2020 against tiny app developer and fitness startup Super Healthy Kids over claims the logo used in its Prepear recipe app – a pear - was based on Apple's logo. Prepear eventually changed the image (above), altering the pear leaf slightly to settle the dispute.

Masthead: Suzy Hazelwood

Permalink to story.

Won't happen (I hope, but you never know sometimes with how poorly things like this are handled). I do wish that stupidity like this was fined. Every time a company tries to do something stupid like this, they're fined 1% of their yearly revenue. For a company like Apple, that would be nearly $4billion.

I laughed just from the title of the article.
"Businesses" sure know how to take up the peoples court system time. Too bad they can't feel shame too.

I think mother nature should file suite against apple for trademark infringement and violation of all assorted patent rights, after all, she was first! LOL

Apple tried to trademark "rounded rectangle" too. In the court case against Samsung smartphone Galaxy this they claimed, that Samsung copied their Iphone "rounded rectangle". They were rejected for this absurd claim.
Soon you will not be able to buy an apple fruit to eat, because Apple greedy corporation wants to trademark all apple fruits so you can buy them only from Apple rotten corporation.
Welcome in Apple Orwellian corporation world. Oh, you are not exactly welcomed. But you can be welcomed by Apple corporation, only if you pay them over 1000$ annually.

Last edited:
Shouldn't the fact that you're already using this logo for 111 years -- like 65 or so years before Apple even existed -- be a good way to be able to officially tell Apple Computers to piss off when they complain about your logo? Seems that way to me. Agreed, IP rules are deeply flawed and really should be changed.

This remind me for Gene Simmons (KISS) wants to trade mark the Heavy Metal 'Sign Of The Horns'
Then Nikki Sixx (Mötley Crüe) says - then ill trade mark the mid finger

Shouldn't the fact that you're already using this logo for 111 years -- like 65 or so years before Apple even existed -- be a good way to be able to officially tell Apple Computers to piss off when they complain about your logo? Seems that way to me. Agreed, IP rules are deeply flawed and really should be changed.
Yup. But they didn't pull a stupid and trademark it, so it might just cost them a lot of money for lawyers to fight it (assuming those in their gov't are stupid enough to give Apple the trademark).

Next thing apple is going to want license fee paid every time you eat an apple. Maybe they should go after the Bible every time an Apple is mentioned many millenia prior. 😂

No mention of an apple in the bible - Satan also does not live in hell - he's here on earth = probably hanging out in a big torus building
Apples come from Central Asia

Back