Apple's iMessage responsible for 30 percent of all mobile spam, researcher claims

Shawn Knight

Staff member

report percent mobile spam imessage apple spam spammer text message

Apple's iMessage used to be one of the better and safer ways to communicate outside of carrier-based text messaging. But according to security researcher Tom Landesman of anti-spam company Cloudmark, iMessage is now responsible for more than 30 percent of all spam delivered to mobile devices.

As Landesman recently told Wired, the iMessage platform is of particular interest to spammers for a couple of different reasons. For starters, iMessage has a broad user base across the iPhone, iPad and Mac so there's no shortage of targets.

Because the desktop and mobile worlds are now so closely related, it's incredibly easy for a spammer to send messages. How easy, you ask?

According to the researcher, with four lines of code, using Apple scripts, a spammer can have their Mac send messages to whoever they want. Of course, one would need either a valid iMessage phone number or e-mail address to deliver the spam but that's pretty easy to solve, too.

Apple's desktop client instantly tells you whether or not the phone number you've entered is registered with the iMessage network. Using this feature, it'd simply be a matter of trial and error to create a list of verified iMessage recipients. What's more, the service even lets the sender know if the message has been read or not.

It's almost like a spammer's dream, he said.

Apple is aware of the situation and has implemented some steps in the past to limit iMessage spam but there's clearly more work that needs to be done.

Permalink to story.

I have been using iphones (and android too) for 5 years now.... I have not received a single spam message in that entire time.

Side note: when they say 30%, then I guess the other 70% is standard text messaging? which with 89% of the market, means Android would be extreme leader in mobile messaging spam right?

This honestly doesn't bother me. This has happened to me at least 3 times in the last year. All I do is block the spammer email and that's that. It's not like they come in every day or even every week. They occur less often than an unwanted spam-like email.

"Apple's iMessage used to be one of the better and safer ways to communicate outside of carrier-based text messaging"
Still is, despite the claims of this article and the cited researcher. iMessages continue to be encrypted, and there is no security lost by a lucky "trial and error" guess by a spammer; which brings me to the next point:

"simply be a matter of trial and error to create a list of verified iMessage recipients."
A huge waste of time for the spammer. If I signed up for something and forgot to uncheck the "send me promotional material" box, that's my bad for that oversight and registering my email associated with my Apple ID, putting my name of a list. That's what alternate emails are for. Also, as a previous commenter mentioned, you can block unwanted senders.

"the service even lets the sender know if the message has been read or not."
Users can turn read receipts off, and an obvious spam message would likely be deleted without opening it by most users.

This entire article and the assertions by the security researcher would carry more weight and be meaningful if it provided a more comparative analysis; that is, iMessage vs. Facebook Messages vs. Google Messenger, etc., and all those version general email spam statistics.

"and android too"
right...

lets pretend for a moment that you are correct in the crazy assumption that I have not owned/currently own 3 Android handsets, hows does that change anything from what I said to be true based on easy math?

I have been using iphones (and android too) for 5 years now.... I have not received a single spam message in that entire time.
I started really using iMessage a year and a half or 2 years ago, I haven't received any spam either...

I have been using Android for 4-5 years and I have never received a single spam.
30% of spams of iMessage does not mean 70% on sms. It means that 70% shared between sms and other messaging apps. Your comparison with Android is not really relevant here. The problem is not the OS but the messaging app. Read the original article on Wired. It gives a bit more detail.

I have been using Android for 4-5 years and I have never received a single spam.
30% of spams of iMessage does not mean 70% on sms. It means that 70% shared between sms and other messaging apps. Your comparison with Android is not really relevant here. The problem is not the OS but the messaging app. Read the original article on Wired. It gives a bit more detail.
I too have been using Android for 4 years without spam...

I started really using iMessage a year and a half or 2 years ago, I haven't received any spam either...

I use iMessage on occasion. I receive about one spam per month, on average. Interestingly, if we use these reposes to validate the findings, we arrive at approximately 33%.

As per the general rules of statistics, individual experience may vary.

Back