Apple's independent repair provider program now covers Macs

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Apple is expanding a program that grants independent repair shops access to the same genuine parts and training that authorized Apple service centers have at their disposal. For the first time, third-party repair centers can now work on Macs with Apple’s blessing.

As you may recall, Apple launched its independent repair initiative last summer. Critically, the program only covered issues affecting out-of-warranty iPhones.

Jeff Williams, Apple’s chief operating officer, told Reuters that when a device needs repairs, they want people to have access to a safe and reliable solution. “This latest expansion joins the thousands of repair locations we’ve added over the past year,” Williams said, adding that, “We’re looking forward to bringing that convenient and trustworthy repair experience to our Mac users.”

Apple has had a contentious relationship with those advocating for the right to repair their devices. That started to change with the new policies introduced a year ago and has shown a lot of promise since then.

Just last month, for example, Apple brought the program to more locations across the US and expanded internationally to Canada and Europe. Now with Macs joining the fray, third-party repairs of Apple products are more accessible than ever.

Apple hasn’t updated its independent repair provider program literature on its website as of this writing but I would expect a change to come very soon.

Image credit: Hadrian, Anake Seenadee

Permalink to story.

The second picture with the multimeter probes is heavily misleading. Apple is NOT allowing component level repair still. They will basically ship out a motherboard, screen, or keyboard and allow those to be replaced. Shops are still required to ship back the old part to apple to ensure there aren't loose parts available to anyone.

Louis Rossman said that it's a bad one especially since Apple was eager to sign it....Repair shops got nothing really, they can't get parts for repair (parts, small ones and really really small ones :p ) official schematics and so on.

It's to help them argue agasint right to repair, they will require the shop to be certified which is irrelevant, I've swapped parts in a Mac and I'm not certified. They will limit the numbers meaning in more rural areas don't expect any of the shops to be able to access parts. This whole thing stinks.

Shocker, Apple lays a golden turd and the media loves it.

In Luis we trust, even though I really dislike his crass attitude and vocabulary he at least tries to fight against the nonsense.

Back