Apple's OLED iPhone 8 will reportedly be offered in 64GB, 256GB and 512GB capacities,...

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple’s upcoming iPhone 8 will reportedly be offered in storage capacities of 64GB, 256GB and 512GB. All three models will also come equipped with 3GB of system memory according to a recent post on Chinese microblogging site Weibo (China’s version of Twitter).

The current-generation iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are available in 32GB, 128GB and 256GB capacities. The smaller handset ships with 2GB of RAM while the larger Plus variant packs 3GB.

The Weibo post originated from a user by the name of GeekBar. The user also included an image of an alleged 64GB SanDisk NAND flash module destined for the iPhone 8. According to Mac Rumors, this is the first time SanDisk has been referenced as a supplier of NAND flash chips for Apple’s OLED iPhone.

The publication notes that SanDisk is expected to supply 64GB and 256GB chips alongside Toshiba. Samsung and SK Hynix, meanwhile, are reportedly being tapped for 512GB chips.

Samsung on Wednesday unveiled its next flagship, the Galaxy Note 8. That phablet will offer just 64GB of storage in the US (international buyers will have access to 128GB and 256GB models) although a microSD card slot adds a lot of local storage flexibility.

Large-capacity models could give Apple a reason to command more money for its high-end iPhone, a situation that’s seemingly becoming the norm these days among flagships. Samsung’s aforementioned Galaxy Note 8, for example, will set you back a minimum of $930 (from T-Mobile). Rumors have suggested Apple may charge well over $1,000 for its OLED iPhone.

Permalink to story.

Ugh...I'm almost scared to see how much the iPhone 8 will cost.

I have iPhone 7 Plus 256GB. It was $999 so the idea of a $1000 iPhone doesn't scare me.

Being able to record over 4 hours of 4K video is astounding, but the best part is how I needn't worry about running out of storage capacity on a vacation - or when finalizing videos.

512GB would be absolutely ridiculous.

But they have my attention.

I'm a bit concerned that 3gb of RAM is slated for the iPhone 8.... that's how much RAM the 7+ has now, and the 8 will have an OLED with higher resolution.... would think it would need a bit more...

Not me because my money won't be going anywhere near Apple products. What does scare me is the fact that the industry tends to follow Apples lead when it comes to pricing. If Apple has the audacity the charge +$1000 for their gadget and people uncomplainingly shell out for their scam then next year we'll see the high end Android devices costing the same and the only way we can put a stop to that shenanigan is to vote with our wallets but most of us not naive enough to think that will ever happen.
The only reason mobile devices have gotten so expensive now is because we as the consumer has allowed it.

Not me because my money won't be going anywhere near Apple products. What does scare me is the fact that the industry tends to follow Apples lead when it comes to pricing. If Apple has the audacity the charge +$1000 for their gadget and people uncomplainingly shell out for their scam then next year we'll see the high end Android devices costing the same and the only way we can put a stop to that shenanigan is to vote with our wallets but most of us not naive enough to think that will ever happen.
The only reason mobile devices have gotten so expensive now is because we as the consumer has allowed it.

There are cheap brands and cheap models too. Apple can charge more because it has a loyal fan base willing to fork whatever the company makes, I'm looking at you Mac Pro.

There are cheap brands and cheap models too. Apple can charge more because it has a loyal fan base willing to fork whatever the company makes, I'm looking at you Mac Pro.
Spoken like a true fan boy. Nothing wrong with brand loyalty but if you want true loyalty, buy a dog instead.

Apple has gone from a 16gb base model, crippling the user experience, to this over-the-top 512gb ridiculousness.

Great, but boy am I scared to see the price tags.

Also a sad but true fact, many iPhone buyers have no idea what "gb's" are. They just buy the one with the bigger number because they think it's better. Seriously, I've spoken with many basic end-users who have done this.

Last edited:
Have u ever used an iphone 7? The iOS doesnt need nearly as much memory to run smoothly. It is much more efficient
Very true.... But the iPhone 8 will have the SAME amount of RAM as last year's iPhone.... It will be driving more pixels and I would have hoped for a bit more RAM to compensate for that...

The smartphone market is so dull right now. No major innovations in years unless you count project tango which flopped.
I can get the same experience with a phone 5 years old albeit slightly slower and without some new pointless face unlock bullcrap.
I'm still waiting for an iphone that will drag me back over from android but this aint gonna be it with a bit more storage a 1080p screen and probably a new "super" colour
Think I''ll wait and drop $1200 on a Red Hydrogen One when that comes out. It may fail but at least its having a go at innovating.
Heres hoping AR is coming with the iphone 9!

So... why are they forcing a switch to a 64bit OS if their next gen phones still don't have > 4GB of RAM? I'm just a bit bummed that I'll lose out on all my old discontinued/unsupported apps.

So... why are they forcing a switch to a 64bit OS if their next gen phones still don't have > 4GB of RAM? I'm just a bit bummed that I'll lose out on all my old discontinued/unsupported apps.

64-bit operating systems open up the possibility for native 64-bit arithmetic and more registers, which enables more efficient code in some circumstances (e.g. SHA2/512 performs significantly better than SHA2/256 on 64-bit machines, all else equal) and less register starvation (which means less stack push and pop instructions, or memory writing, meaning you get more /useful/ work done per clock).

It also means the address space of your processes is larger, virtual memory is the norm these days and that doesn't just include RAM. You can, for example, open a file and map it into memory instead of reading it into physical memory (which is slower). You can't map a 4GB file in a 32-bit virtual address space. Memory-mapped files are the norm for e.g. shared libraries these days (DLLs on Windows, ELF .so's on Linux, ...).

64-bit isn't just about RAM.

64-bit operating systems open up the possibility for native 64-bit arithmetic and more registers, which enables more efficient code in some circumstances (e.g. SHA2/512 performs significantly better than SHA2/256 on 64-bit machines, all else equal) and less register starvation (which means less stack push and pop instructions, or memory writing, meaning you get more /useful/ work done per clock).

It also means the address space of your processes is larger, virtual memory is the norm these days and that doesn't just include RAM. You can, for example, open a file and map it into memory instead of reading it into physical memory (which is slower). You can't map a 4GB file in a 32-bit virtual address space. Memory-mapped files are the norm for e.g. shared libraries these days (DLLs on Windows, ELF .so's on Linux, ...).

64-bit isn't just about RAM.
They've also been 64-bit for a few years now.... I believe the 5 (or possibly the 4s) was the first...

Back