Apple's wearables business to outpace iPad and Mac by the end of 2020

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Over the years through constant revisions (we’re now on Series 4 with a new version expected sometime next month alongside refreshed iPhones ), the Apple Watch has made real progress with standout features and useful apps. It's now the category leader that all others hope to one day emulate the success of.

Apple had a vision for the Apple Watch, part of a broad category of tech wearables that many Android players may have prematurely written off.

The first Apple Watch launched in mid-2014 and while many felt it was the best of the bunch, that wasn’t really saying munch considering the concept hadn’t yet proven itself. In the eyes of many, smartwatches didn’t meet a need or serve a purpose. They were neat, sure, but unnecessary and added little value.

As Above Avalon correctly identifies, the wearables era at Apple continues to unfold and is boosted by three factors that no other company has the luxury of leveraging.

The first is a massive install base of iPhones (around 925 million globally), the second is the notion of making technology more personal, intuitive and easy to use and last but not least, a thriving platform consisting of multiple wearables products (AirPods are also considered wearables so it’s not just the watch).

According to the publication, Apple’s wearables business is now at a $16 billion annual run rate and is growing at 55 to 60 percent. Should the current pace persist, the wearables category will outpace both the iPad and Mac by the end of 2020 to become the third largest product category for Apple behind the iPhone and services in terms of sheer revenue.

Masthead credit: Apple Watch Series 4 by Denys Prykhodov. Apple AirPods by DedMityay.

Permalink to story.

I use my Apple Watch simply as a pedometer. It's replaced my Ecodrive Skyhawk AT and my Omega Speedmaster Pro as my daily watch and it goes with basically everything since I can wear blue or Black suits with it.

It is the most recognized smartwatch there is and even people who can't afford apple iPhone want apple watch until they can.

It's amazing how apple's competitors have done their best to one-up apple with watch cameras, full featured phones-on-wrist and other gimmicks while Apple's slow and steady pace has pretty much beaten them and broken them all to the point where they don't even take their smartwatches or their tablets seriously anymore.

iOS is a monopoly.

Yeah, but they still haven't kept their promise to have a phone out that monitors blood sugar ... more empty promises from the big green one!

Yeah, but they still haven't kept their promise to have a phone out that monitors blood sugar ... more empty promises from the big green one!

#1 The last watch they released has an EKG

#2 No one is complaining except Android fanboys who would never buy it anyway.

#3 Apple will release it when it's ready and continue to DOMINATE the market.

CGM has recently become more mainstream, so that promise will come in the near future.

I liked my watch right up until the screen cracked two months in, caught it on the car door. Then after buying a new one, it lasted one year before it broke again, hit it on the window of the truck. I may buy one again when they build one that doesn't require an otterbox or military grade protection to wear it everyday. If it cant hold up to activities that a $25.00 Citizen can and last as long as the phone that pairs with it, I will not purchase another $300 wrist computer that tells me when to stand and breathe

I liked my watch right up until the screen cracked two months in, caught it on the car door. Then after buying a new one, it lasted one year before it broke again, hit it on the window of the truck. I may buy one again when they build one that doesn't require an otterbox or military grade protection to wear it everyday. If it cant hold up to activities that a $25.00 Citizen can and last as long as the phone that pairs with it, I will not purchase another $300 wrist computer that tells me when to stand and breathe
Yikes! I haven't banged mine in 2.5 years so I can't relate to your issues.

I've had my Apple Watch for four years and haven't yet caught it on a car door or hit it on the window of a truck. I also haven't run over it with a tank, slammed into a wall with it, or used it to deflect a bullet. I guess I'm just lucky that way. My watch (and my phone) are holding up fine.

I've had my Apple Watch for four years and haven't yet caught it on a car door or hit it on the window of a truck. I also haven't run over it with a tank, slammed into a wall with it, or used it to deflect a bullet. I guess I'm just lucky that way. My watch (and my phone) are holding up fine.
I guess I am much more of a brute force in my daily routine. My phone is five years old and have not even scratched it. I have ruined the watch twice, the car door just swung back and caught the wrist just right and the window was 200 degree coffee in the lap surprise swing.

Back