Apple's WWDC 2014 coverage: iOS 8, OS X 10.10, plus hardware

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple wwdc ios worldwide developers conference ios 8

Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) is ongoing. We'll get you live updates on the announcements in the coming hour. Apple is also doing a live broadcast exclusively for OS X, Apple TV and iOS users.

Update: The keynote is over and perhaps the big surprise was the lack of one. There was no "one more thing," the announcements were soft launches -- all slated for a fall release -- and very developer focused (it's the developers conference after all). There was still a lot of stuff to see and look forward to nonetheless, especially if you're a Mac/iOS user. Perhaps the least expected announcement "Continuity" which integrates remote phone features, among others, in OS X was among the best. Follow the links below for detailed coverage of the two major announcements from WWDC 2014's keynote: 

Confirmed announcements:

Stuff that didn't happen:

• New iMacs
  • MacBook refresh with improved 4K monitor output
  • Any hardware announcements

Unlikely to happen, but we'd be happy to be surprised:

• iPhone 6
  • Apple TV, or other major TV related announcement
  • iWatch, or other wearable tech

Permalink to story.

iPhone 6? A surprise?

Surely you jest as iPhones stopped being a surprise after iPhone 4.

Watching it live, 40 mins in, it's all software so far...

EDITED: One thing I like a lot so far - full phone control from your Mac, which includes making and taking calls while your phone may be charged in another room :)

Continuity is the buzzword of the conference.

Last edited:
I am loving the improvements so far. Too bad they didn't unveil any hardware... they built up so much hype and I am disappointed in that aspect. Great software improvements nonetheless.

They seem like they're walking in circles. If they cater to developers, who has macs to develop on? Can't possibly think of developing on window for the frugal. They're kind of self obsessed.

Back