Application unable to start correctly: Error 0xc000007b & MSVCP100.dll following

Hello,

I am new to the forums and truly only really joined to ask this question because after being all over the internet and troubleshooting in my own capacity I am still left at a loss and quite perturbed.

FOR SUMMARY SCROLL DOWN TO NEXT BOLD TEXT

I just got a new PC (specs visible on my profile) and have restored most of my Steam games as well as a few other cracked and free-to-play games. After installing them all I started trying to play a few games. I received an error on most games I tried to start except Dota 2 and Far Cry 4 (cracked):

This application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.

I checked the internet and it suggested I reinstalled Windows 8 Professional Build 9200 64-bit which I had previously installed. This seems to resolved the problem somewhat as the majority of the games that hadn't worked previously began to work.

However, some games still refuse to work and produce the same error. After changing ownership of the \SysWOW64 and \System32 folders in C>Windows since I had trouble copying the 5 .dlls in several other forums namely:

mfc100.dll
mfc100u.dll
msvcp100.dll
msvcr100.dll
msvcr100_clr0400.dll

Mostly it was the msvcr100_clr0400.dll that refused to copy across even after booting into safe mode. This copying was solved by a permission change and ownership change. I then deleted the msvcp100.dll file and the 0xc000007b error then gave way to the error:

The program can't start because MSVCP100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem

If I had the internet connection to reinstall I would do so but I don't believe it will yiled any results due to the problem stemming from the redistributeable being the issue. After updating the redistributable from version 2010 to 2012 using the redist folder in my Steam games folders I still have the problem.

PLOT SYNOPSIS/SUMMARY OF EVENTS BELOW

After trying to start my fully updated Smite I get the error

This application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.

If I deleted the msvcp100.dll file from C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (not C:\Windows\System32) I get the error:

The program can't start because MSVCP100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem

Downloading dlls from http://dll-files.com/ proved to be useless as replacing the msvcp100.dll files restores the 0xc000007b error.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read this and post,
Raptim

In addition the deletion of the file was suggested and it said that the game would create a MSVCP100.dll by itself which it did not.

Hey @jobeard! Thanks for your reply. I ran the command prompt this morning before I left for uni and got a message saying that the file did not exist, which obviously it didn't because I had deleted it. I hadn't had the chance to copy it across again and run the command prompt a second time before leaving. However, the problem is fixed now. Here's what happened:

I went into the Start Menu and searched for Windows Update. In the Settings section of the Start Menu search there should be an option that says 'Install optional updates'. I went into this and elected to install all optional updates. These downloaded and Windows asked to reboot. I arrived home after my PC had rebooted and now it is running Smite, Half-Minute Hero and all other games that weren't previously working perfectly. I'd suggest doing the following before installing optional updates

Quote from A Guy (www.sevenforums.com)
"Can you confirm the dll exists in both System32 and SysWOW64? If not, let us know and we can post them here for you. If they do exist, try registering them:

Start> In search box type cmd> Right click on cmd.exe in results above and choose Run as administrator> When command prompt opens type

regsvr32 msvcp100.dll

Enter"

After verifying and registering it then install all the optional updates.

I hope this helps others who have had the same problem and thanks to all who contributed.

Back