Applications won't start (even Notepad!)

I left my HP elitebook 6930p idle for 5 hours, after which I noticed that I cannot open any applications. When I try to open an application via clicking an icon, my laptop won't respond (even notepad won't open). Note that the hard drive indicator drive is surprisingly inactive during that time. I can open windows explorer though, but it takes some time to load a page. The screen does not freeze (I can sitll move my cursor), but when I attempt to shut down it gets stuck on the wallpaper before fading [supposedly] to the loading screen. Please help!D:

UPDATE: I noticed when the network adapter was off the laptop ran fine. When I turn it on, everything slooows down, and the things above happen

Hey Jerson F. I don't like the sound of that. How was it connected, to your home network and was it connected by cable or used wirelessly?. Do you know if it was downloading a really big file, maybe a movie,etc. To slow up a pc that much makes me wonder if the pc isn't under the control of someone. Do you run and use good Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware programs?

Check the POWER profile - - laptops have profiles for A/C vs Battery so set the A/C at least to NEVER shutdown the HD,
but only hibernate after x hours.

Back