Are external HDDs Internal secretly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

Hi again,
I've got a Seagate external 500GB HDD and it has a load of stuff on it that won't fit on my internal one. Now, my friend has me wandering....if you take it apart and take a looksie inside, it should be and MAYBE it wil be an internal SATA. If this is true- I might just have to try this out. If someone could correct me or confirm my thoughts, please reply.
Thanx!

Yeah external hard drives are exactly the same as internal hard drives but with an enclosure surounding them for protection and connectivity.

You could take it apart and put it inside your PC if you wanted, but depending on how old the External drive is you might find that it is an IDE drive and not SATA.

You can make your own external hard drive if you wan't by buying a regular hard drive and an enclosure and installing the drive in said enclosure. Any decent online computer store should sell hard drives and enclosures.

Anyone else feel free add more information or correct me if I am wrong.

Now....

Okay, with a few throbing fingers, I got the bugger open. Inside the external hard drive was, AN INTERNAL 500GB SATA HDD!
This exited me, as it is NOW my first internal SATA HDD. And one more question I may need help with.. Can I transfer all my settings from my old EIDE to my new SATA? Kinda a clone I guess. Any help here as well would be extremely appreciated. :D

Yes, you can use the hard drive manufacturers install software to move or "clone" one drives contents to another

Yes you can clone your old hard drive to the new one. There is plenty of software out there that will do the job for you. I am not familiar with it but I found this free software with my good friend Goolge that looks like it will do the job for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back