Are IDE cards good?

Atham

Hello Techspot,

I have an old DVD drive that uses an IDE port. I am thinking of getting the IDE cards. Does anyone have them, or does anyone know if they work well?

Thanks

You would be better just getting a sata DVD drive. They aren't particularly expensive nowadays. I think the data transfer speeds don't really benefit from sata but I'm guessing an IDE card for PCI-x is going to be much the same cost as a cheap DVD drive.

I have a Promise ATA-133 PCI card that came free with a Maxtor ATA-133 drive way back in the day. It works fine. But it does slow your power button to usable desktop time (has to load its own bios or something).

But I think ultimately Arris is right. You can't buy a burner for 18 euros?

No that is not the problem. I am just looking for a way to conserve money

Should be able to buy a reasonable DVD writer for that price. No point buying an IDE controller card unless you have more IDE devices to connect.

Oh cool. I was thinking along the lines of SONY Optiarc AD7260S Black. If this one from samsung is better then I will go for it. Thanks guys.

I don't think there is really much difference in brands of optical drives anymore. Samsung is a solid brand anyway, I wouldn't hesitate at all to purchase one for myself if I needed one.

I won't be getting a drive until later. However, the Corsair TX 850 v2 does not have a connector for the older IDE drives, as far as I can see. What should I do?

unless the european version is different than the US version it has 8 molex connectors. They are colored black rather than the usual white and have grips to make them easier to insert and remove but they are still standard 4 pin molex connectors that work with any ide drive made in the last 15 years or so. If by some chance it is different they do make SATA to molex adaptors but they cost half of what a new drive does so it wouldn't make much sense to spend money on a drive you are planning to replace anyway.

unless the european version is different than the US version it has 8 molex connectors.

Unless I've read your comment wrong, the only PSU connectors with 8 pins are the 8 pin ATX connectors, and the 6(+2pin) GPU connectors.

The 8 pin ATX connector should split in two to become two 4 pin ATX connectors, necessary for motherboards using the 4 pin design.

The 6(+2) pin GPU connectors are designed to either be used as a full 8 pin power connector, or split in two, to insert into 6 pin power connectors on GPUs.

Molex connectors are 4 pin, as far as I am aware there is no such thing as a 8 pin molex connector.

As for country origin - The only difference is the plug on the end of the lead used to connect the PSU to the wall socket. The majority of PSU's built today (of at least enthusiast quality) automatically detect and then adjust to the mains power supplied, between 110V and 250V.

Unless I've read your comment wrong, the only PSU connectors with 8 pins are the 8 pin ATX connectors, and the 6(+2pin) GPU connectors.

The 8 pin ATX connector should split in two to become two 4 pin ATX connectors, necessary for motherboards using the 4 pin design.

The 6(+2) pin GPU connectors are designed to either be used as a full 8 pin power connector, or split in two, to insert into 6 pin power connectors on GPUs.

Molex connectors are 4 pin, as far as I am aware there is no such thing as a 8 pin molex connector.

As for country origin - The only difference is the plug on the end of the lead used to connect the PSU to the wall socket. The majority of PSU's built today (of at least enthusiast quality) automatically detect and then adjust to the mains power supplied, between 110V and 250V.

8 is the quantity of connectors not the number of pins, that psu is listed as having 8 4pin molex connectors.

8 is the quantity of connectors not the number of pins, that psu is listed as having 8 4pin molex connectors.

Then I did read your post wrong! :haha:

And yeah, you were pretty clear... So its all my bad... Oh well, my post might serve some purpose eventually. :D

Back