Artifacting, tv or graphics card?

yRaz

So I recently bought a 4k TV and I paired it will the my GTX680. However, my 680 only has HDMI 1.4 where as the TV is HDMI 2.0. I don't remember the model number of the TV off the top of my head, I'm not home and posting from my phone.

Now I had a problem earlier today but it only happened once. However, it scared the crap out of me.

A little back story. I recently bought this and I was disappointed that if I wanted a 4k desktop I could only run 4k at 24hz. Just randomly browsing through nVidia control panel I noticed the resolution and frequency settings. Well I saw that the driver's allowed me to force 60hz through my HDMI 1.4. I set it and, to my surprise, it worked. 3 days later I started getting artifacts. Now it is my assumption that may have damaged the HDMI port or whatever runs it. Figuring that the TV is HDMI 2.0 I think that my graphics card may be damaged. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea on how I can test this. Also, it went away when I turned the TV off and on again.

This could go either way and I'm wondering if any ideas in testing it. I have one computer with an HDMI port, but I have 2 more HAD TVs. However, they're 1080p, not 4k 60hz.

I don't know if this helps anyone, but the TV is a 4k 65 inch Samsung from Walmart. I'm posting from my phone so forgiveness any typeos

EDIT: The TV is the Samsung 6 series MU 6300

Last edited:
Hello yraz, have you solved your problem?, I had similar situation and was a faulty hdmi cable, try with a new or different one.

I've never heard/seen an HDMI port braking because of "over clocking the monitor / forcing a refresh". But HDMI ports can fail. Much like has been said above HDMI cables are usually the problem I find. I would try some other cables. HDMI 2.0 cables do have a slightly different standard and depending on distance from the source to the screen this can also have an impact.

Have you tryed going back to 4k@24p and seeing if the problem continues? Then you might also want to test 1080p@60p and also see if the issue follows. If you are able to test with other devices you can then test the TV's HDMI port and rule out that as the issue. Although I've not used your model of TV before, here are some general things yo can try. Some tv's only like HDMI input from a pc to some of there HDMI's. I note that your TV's HDMI 3 input has ARC. It should not make a difference but again its worth trying different ports. Make shore to be using "game" mode on the tv to reduce input lag. Also Being a Samsung you could also try rename the input label for the HDMI port you are using to "PC" and this will use the PC mode. PC mode usually switches off even more processing than game mode.

You may also want to switch to 4:4:4 color mode in the drivers. If you have tryed everything and 4k@60p still having issues you might also want to re-install your GFX drivers with a clean install as they can get a bit "funny" sometimes.

Do you have a display port on your gfx card? I would think it has a Displayport 1.2 standard and a full size port being a GTX 680. You can get a dongle to take it from Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0. Just make shore you get a good one. Something like the Club3D one.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/clu...e-converter-cable-supports-8bit-4k-uhd-60hz-a

Again as said above you will find it hard to run anything @ 4k 60fps with the 680. Some old games will run ok (most old games will need patching/hacking to get 4k to work). Some newer ones might be ok as long as you turn everything down. And then there are resolution scaling inside some games that you may have to utilize. You will just have to tweak the games a lot.

Let us know how you get on.
Cheers,
DrDoomsLab.

Back