Assassin's Creed Syndicate Review: The best in years for the series

Jos

Staff

Assassin’s Creed Syndicate is—wait for it—an Assassin’s Creedgame, with all that that implies. It’s a really good game, mind you, my favorite since Assassin’s Creed II took us to Renaissance Italy way back in 2009. We’re in Victorian London this time, in 1868. As with most games in the series, Syndicate shifts between the present and the past to follow the convoluted and conspiratorial struggle between the Assassins and the Templars, who are fighting over … something, that’s for sure. You climb famous buildings, use your magic Eagle Vision to identify targets in a crowd, and kill them.

In keeping with series tradition, the historical setting mixes painstakingly accurate architectural renderings of things like Big Ben and Westminster Abbey with entertainingly campy and counterfactual cameos from figures like Darwin and Dickens. One series of side quests is dubbed, simply, “Karl Marx’s Memories.” There’s an Edwin Drood joke. A late-game mission is titled “Driving Mrs. Disraeli.”

Honoring another Assassin’s Creed convention, those missions are wildly uneven, with exhilarating set pieces like a clamber across London’s Tower Bridge juxtaposed with unimaginative pixel-hunting, during segments in which the player is asked to do little more than make sure the avatar hits its marks.

Read the complete review.

My main problem with the assassins creed games.."...to follow the convoluted and conspiratorial struggle between the Assassins and the Templars, who are fighting over … something, that’s for sure. "
I don't like the modern tie into the setting. The immersion feels so fake with modern cut scenes and the knowledge that your character is t really there. And that's the core concept behind every game I know but that's why I can't play any of them. I just want the games to actually happen in their settings because the setting is exponentially more interesting than the memory war story-thing they came up with.

Why does it nowhere mention what platform this is on? The PC version isn't out until November.

I hope it's the engine from unity, not from Black flag (like rogue). Not that BF was bad, but I think unity looked better (not to confuse a BF tropical setting which is nicer to look at). I will definitely play it tho if the reviews are good.

The kind of games that inspire kids to bring a gun to the school and shoot people.

The game itself is inspired by the outpouring Hollywood trash, same as GTA and alike.

Violence begets violence.

The kind of games that inspire kids to bring a gun to the school and shoot people.

The game itself is inspired by the outpouring Hollywood trash, same as GTA and alike.

lol, troll much? In EU nobody takes a gun to school or stick a knife in your back, despite playing AC, CS, GTA or even COD ****...
If the games are to blame, did you (in the USFA) blame tetris and donkeykong in the 70's and 80's?

it's been proven that no game will make someone take a gun and shoot to kill. it's actually the opposite.
and only the US has problems with guns --> it's what happens when 1 in 3 people have a gun.

I had to remind myself that the review was based on the PS4 version of the game when I read about the lack of bugs. In my head I'm going "Yay! A AAA developer/publisher actually did what they promised!" But alas, it's not the PC version, so time will tell. Damn my inner child.

Nice, the game look and sounds legit. So far I am looking forward to playing FO4, AC:S, Batman: AK. I still need to beat MGS:V and retire my player in NBA 2K16.

Video Game wise, I wont be bored Cant wait.

Back