Asus joins the FreeSync market with 1440p, 144 Hz IPS display

Scorpus

Staff member

Up until this point, Asus has been solely focused on producing G-Sync monitors for the gamers out there with Nvidia graphics cards. However this is set to change, with the company preparing to release their first FreeSync monitor, the MG279Q.

The MG279Q was first shown off at CES 2015 as a 27-inch 2560 x 1440 IPS LCD monitor with a 120 Hz refresh rate, and generic support for the Adaptive Sync specification in DisplayPort 1.2a. Since then, Asus has received official FreeSync certification for the display, while also raising the maximum refresh rate to 144 Hz with a minimum of 40 Hz.

With a 1440p resolution, 144 Hz refresh rate, FreeSync, and use of high-quality IPS technology, the MG279Q is shaping up to be an excellent monitor for gamers. It adds to the solid collection of FreeSync monitors now available, including 144 Hz 1440p TN panels from BenQ and Acer, as well as ultra-wide displays from LG.

Asus hasn't confirmed the exact price for the MG279Q, but it's expected to retail for around $600 going on what was revealed at CES. Like with most FreeSync monitors, this is around $200 cheaper than the nearest G-Sync competitor, Acer's Predator XB270HU with nearly identical specifications.

If you're eyeing off the MG279Q, it should be available very soon.

Permalink to story.

How about 1440P, 144 Hz, FreeSync, IPS and ultra wide?

I suppose it will take another year.

I would rather have ultrawide, too. They would be better for flight simulators (like Elite or Star Citizen). A curved ultrawide 144hz monitor would be nice.

I would rather have ultrawide, too. They would be better for flight simulators (like Elite or Star Citizen). A curved ultrawide 144hz monitor would be nice.
doesn't having a curved monitor make it really hard to see from the sides and also harder to use multiple monitors?

Nah. They're still far too expensive. $600 for a 27" computer 'gaming' monitor isn't justifiable especially when you can pick up a quality 27" IPS 'ordinary' monitor for ~$150 at the moment.

I am also waiting for a 21:9 freesync/gsync IPS high res high refresh rate monitor. 34 inch or larger, possibly with a slight curve. I'll happily pay around $2500.

I currently have a 2560x1440 IPS 100hz monitor. No point in getting an incremental upgrade, waiting for a game changer.

"I am also waiting for a 21:9 freesync/gsync IPS high res high refresh rate monitor. 34 inch or larger, possibly with a slight curve. I'll happily pay around $2500."

I was with you until you mentioned the $2500. Not that $2500 is a lot of money to me, just that my common sense tells me a monitor like that shouldn't cost that much.
Btw, I'm selling a 2007 mazda 6 for 40k if you're interested?
; )

A 27" 1440p isn't wide enough to require a curve but a 21:9 is, IMO.
The 21:9 4K monitors have my utmost attention, and they just crapped on everyone with a multi-mon setup.

"I was with you until you mentioned the $2500. Not that $2500 is a lot of money to me, just that my common sense tells me a monitor like that shouldn't cost that much"

You're right, I meant even if it is overpriced, I'll pay it. I've had my current monitor for three years, I am very anxious for a worthwhile upgrade. Funny part is I have a GTX 690 which I got when I bought my monitor, I thought I would get into newer games. But I really only play Counter Strike: Source. So to get the most out of my graphics card, I need a ridiculously high resolution monitor and high refresh rate monitor. I can get 500fps currently at 2560x1440, but I just lock it at 200fps (double my monitor refresh rate).

"Btw, I'm selling a 2007 mazda 6 for 40k if you're interested?"
Haha, I see your point. I'm okay though, I just got a new 2015 Acura RLX last year. Not that I make a lot of money, I just lease a new car every 3 years.

Nah. They're still far too expensive. $600 for a 27" computer 'gaming' monitor isn't justifiable especially when you can pick up a quality 27" IPS 'ordinary' monitor for ~$150 at the moment.
A Dell S2740L currently retails for about $350, while a P2714H goes for about $400. What "quality" 27-inch IPS monitor is this that we can have for $150?
Although I agree with the principle, I would never pay $200+ more than a P2714H just for framerate features while sacrificing panel quality in the process.

A Dell S2740L currently retails for about $350, while a P2714H goes for about $400. What "quality" 27-inch IPS monitor is this that we can have for $150?
Although I agree with the principle, I would never pay $200+ more than a P2714H just for framerate features while sacrificing panel quality in the process.

He has to be talking about a 1080p TN 27' monitor for that price and that does not equal quality to me.

Perhaps this little competition will bring down the price of G-sync capable monitors and we can finally enjoy the benefit of our nvidia hardware without the monopolist price tag...
Fingers crossed!

you serious dude?

A quality 27` IPS at $150

you mean 27' 1080p monitor no thanks!
Of course. I don't need or even desire 4K. As for high and variable refresh rates, it's too much money for so little return but then again my priorities are different to yours.

What 27" IPS monitors are you talking about?

And by IPS he means TN.
I do mean IPS, I do know the difference between them and I do know how to shop as well. I'm no longer a zitty faced, puberty and peach fuzz faced teenager who doesn't know the value of money.

I do mean IPS, I do know the difference between them and I do know how to shop as well. I'm no longer a zitty faced, puberty and peach fuzz faced teenager who doesn't know the value of money.

And yet you were still unable to share your impressive dealhound monitor finds with the rest of the class.

And yet you were still unable to share your impressive dealhound monitor finds with the rest of the class.
OK let me come clean. It was a special I found on takealot.com, a South African online shop. I purchased a 27" Samsung 1080p PLS monitor, not the IPS I alluded to but still streets better than TN for ZAR2200 which equates to about $180 by my crude calculations. I was also $30 light on the price but for a PLS monitor thats still a killer deal. If you compare that price to a $600 gaming monitor of the same size but with better screen resolution with some trick components and software it's a no brainer for me, I can deal with the odd screen tearing malady, just not constantly choppy framerates
These screens will eventually come down in price and get even better and more sophisticated but they'll never get to the prices of ordinary, everyday monitors which also get better all the time, not every gamer needs, wants or can afford one so they'll generally remain a niche product.
I can understand the fanatics happy to splash out on them but to me it's just a mugs game, they can't stay ahead of the curve so why bother trying, unless they're happy to wind up in the poorhouse eventually.

1080p on a 27"... PLS panel 30+% cheaper than IPS. So it's incomparable to your claim or the monitor in this article.

1080 height vs 1440 height... it's a different league. 1200 height is awesome let alone 1440 compared to 1080. The real estate you gain...

Considering how long you can keep monitors for, I'd definitely recommend saving for a decent monitor. 1440p PLS or IPS low latency high refresh rate is just *so* much better QoL. It's worth spending more on the monitor and less but more often on CPU/GPU.

For me its a big ish upgrade, I have a 1080p (hate all this 1080p lark I have a 1920x1080 resolution screen) but its only 23.6". It was Asus's first 3D vision monitor so acceptable @ 120Hz. Once you have played @ 120hz+ you can never go back to 60/75. Would have loved a 4k 144Hz IPS screen but we are a couple of years from them screens and even then the GPU hardware is nowhere near powerful enough even SLI. So something like this a nice 2k ips screen @ 27 inch as a big jump for me it's just a shame even though the price estimate is $600 it will also be probably £600 which is closer to $900 (we aint known as rip off britain for no reason)

Is it true that when the game runs below 40 FPS, then freesync is useless on this 40 hz minimum monitor ?
Don't you thing that is likely to happen sometimes on games with a 200$ gpu at this resolution ?

> quality 27" IPS 'ordinary' monitor for ~$150

Cheap 27'' monitors are absolutely HORRIBLE. They are at most 1080p and that looks blurry on close distances so they always have to be far and waste space anyway.

On 1080p 24'' is the king. It can be close enough, it always looks more or less clear and that size offers some of the best panels in clarity and features.

It was also easy to find one that I could reliably overclock to 76Hz. It looks amazing. The best device I've ever seen for high FPS movie playback.

Back