Asus laptop black screen after logo?

So pretty much the issue is that my laptop screen goes black after the logo appears and it shows that its loading. After that, the screen just goes black but I know the software is running. I have to plug in an HDMI cable to an external monitor in order to get the screen to load back onto my laptop. I have no idea what is causing this and is becoming a real pain since I cant be somewhere near a HDMI cable and external monitor all the time. I read around the forums and it seems like when it boots up, the system automatically thinks that there is another monitor, making the output somewhere non-existing. I was wondering what exactly is the issue here and what can be done? FYI, my laptop runs two display adapters:

Nvidia GeForce 940M
Intel HD Graphics 5500

I tried disabling the Intel graphics and it kind of helps but I literally can't run a lot of softwares because the GeForce card doesn't seem to like to work without the Intel enabled (Ex: Trying to run a game). So when I enabled the Intel HD again, the screen goes black, even in my home screen, so I have a feeling it is the Intel HD Graphics problem, but can't be sure. Does anyone know how I can be helped?

Thanks

Depending on your system (make, model, OS), you can manage graphics from nVidia control panel and/or BIOS in conjunction with power configuration. Toss into this mess the likelihood that an older battery might be failing or a dusty interior might be causing a heat issue impacting on power management or the Intel gpu has been set to too high a resolution and you have too many variables for my simple capabilities.

If it were mine, I would start with making a backup and, if possible, repair disks. Next I would review the manual and make sure I understood how it is supposed to work. Then I would clean it - even replacing thermal paste and re-seating cards and memory. I would then try to access the specific settings for each gpu and confirm they are correct. Then a visit to Device Manager to confirm the system recognized the gpu and that it appeared to be operating correctly. Then I would try it with and without battery and charger.

If still experiencing the error, I would visit manufacturer's website and refresh all drivers. Then I would take up the issue with support or on the manufacturer's user forum.

Thanks for the reply. I was playing around with some of the things you said and now it seems to only be a black screen after the logo still when I boot it up with my charger adapter plugged in. It works fine booted up with battery only so I think it have something to do with the wiring now near the charger input. Any idea on this?

Back