Asus P5N-E Sli Motherboard and Overclocking my q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaero

Ok, so basically I overclocked my system no problem first of all, it ran fine on stock cooling at 1400 fsb on a 9x multiplier, 3.15ghz, it ran a little hot at 58c on load 51c idle, but that's mainly cos of stock cooling + b3 revision instead of the newer g0.

The problem came after running a stress test for a few hours, it eventually gave out after some 4 hours of stressing and just hard reset on me, but ever since then my bios won't post on anything above 1066 default fsb, it just sits there frozen on the logo screen.

I got ram timings set just like the ram sticker and the fsb is unlinked and set at 800mhz like it should be.

I pretty much run out of ideas as to why it's doing this now, and i'm pretty sick of resetting the bios via the jumper as i have to remove the sata cables every time just to get to it.

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated :)

You're kidding right? when i overclocked to 3.15ghz it was almost a dream, got a boost of like 40-50 fps in wow and crysis multiplayer beta ran max on 8x aa without any stuttering.

Please read the following: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/07/25/overclocking_intel_core_2_quad_q6600/1

The Q6600 is a piece of cake to get to 3GHz. What you will need to do is first is get the latest BIOS (if you dont already have it installed) from Asus's website. You will then either need to put it on a floppy/CD/Flash drive (following their instructions on how to do so) that way you can install the updated BIOS. But before you get started in actually flashing your BIOS, you will want to get into the BIOS itself and load factory defaults, save and exit the BIOS, then update.

Once you have done that, you are going to want to up the FSB, by two or three each time.
You are also going to want to up the voltage on the CPU and RAM. What is the default voltage for your RAM?

Have a read of the following thread, on how to update your bios. Go HERE

Regards Jase :)

This seems to be a simple matter of the FSB being too high. By raising system clocks, CPU volts, RAM voltage, and some FSB, it will reach 3.15.(I just think that an FSB of 1400 may be too high for a long duration). Now you do need to flash the BIOS I think, in order to loosen up that 1066 FSB freeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back