Asus P5N-E SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello my fellow members, I'm new the the board and I looking for any help or suggestion to my lastest build. I recently buit my first system which consist of the Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard, Intel Quad Core Kentsfield 2.4Ghz Q6600 CPU, OCZ Platinum Rev 2 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz, Ultra LSP550 550w Power Supply, XFX GeForce 8600 GT XXX 256MB PCIe w/DVI/TV-OUT, WD Caviar 320GB SATA-3G HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G, Masscool 8W553 Intel Socket 775 CPU Fan, Lite-ON 52xCDRW / 16xDVD Rom Combo, and 2 Masscool 120mm Ball Bearing Case Fan. However, I looking for any suggestion on the Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard setting configuration, updating bios, or any information that I need to know to improve my system.

Only update the BIOS when there is a significant reason to. If you need the update to support new hardware or something significant was fixed etc.

Read your motherboard's manual and decide for yourself how you want things configured.

If you're looking for constructive criticism on the system overall, I probably would of gone with the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L for a motherboard, DDR2 1066MHz RAM, the 9600GT and a different PSU. Overall, your PC is not bad, however, in my opinion for the amount you probably spent you could of done better.

Zenosincks said:
Only update the BIOS when there is a significant reason to. If you need the update to support new hardware or something significant was fixed etc.

Read your motherboard's manual and decide for yourself how you want things configured.

If you're looking for constructive criticism on the system overall, I probably would of gone with the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L for a motherboard, DDR2 1066MHz RAM, the 9600GT and a different PSU. Overall, your PC is not bad, however, in my opinion for the amount you probably spent you could of done better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, many people including friends of mine that are computer technicians have told me that Asus is the best. Most importantly, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L is not as good as the DS3R for just about $30 more. Lacking an additional IDE connector, and no raid. However, the reason I picked P5N-E SLI motherboard was because of the rating TechSpot gave it. furthermore, I originally was going to choose Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DQ6 but the board was not in my price range. Altogether I spent a little over $700.00 for this system. My the two costly items were the motherboard and the processor.

Okay, well then, you're wrong. As with any manufacturer you'll have it's supporters and nay sayers. There are plenty of people on this board that swear against ASUS motherboards for various reasons. Personally, it doesn't really matter who the manufacturer is (within reason, naturally).

That said, it doesn't really matter what features it supports if you aren't going to take advantage of them, does it? For the price, GA-P35-DS3L has a better chipset and would of allowed you to use faster RAM.

I'm not putting you, or your system down. You've posted here for advice and I'm simply saying; as far as price : performance goes, you could have done better. Take that how you want to.

Asus and Gigabyte are two of the most notorious motherboard manufacturers in the industry, both make quality products that have earned the hearts of enthusiasts for a long time.

The Asus P5N-E SLI is an excellent product. Back when it was released, it was certainly one of the best "bang-for-buck" boards out there and received glowing reviews all around the web.

However, it uses a chipset that may already be considered "old" by today's standards, which is why Zenosincks suggested that you could have gone with a more modern chipset such as the P35 by Intel.

The P35-DS3L has certainly been receiving a lot of attention lately, because of its ability to deliver great performance at a (really) low cost. True, it uses the RAID-less ICH9 southbridge (the L in DS3L means "Lite", the R in DS3R means "RAID"), but that's just about the only notable downfall to an otherwise excellent product. Besides, you'll only need it if you plan to RAID your drives.

But in the end, what's done is done. Your choices were not horrible by any means - you certainly do have an excellent build. But the fact is there are always improvements that could be made to any existing PC configuration. Enjoy your new build. :)

Zenosincks don't get me wrong; I appreciate all the help I could get around the board because of my intermediate level of computer knowledge. Grafficks I appreciate your opinon as well. I just know in the future before I make another purchase I would definitely refer to knowledgable board member like you guys. Pick question to you guys before I conclude my reply; is a noticable different with 1066 MHZ as oppose to 800 MHz in memory speed and when would you notice it?

In short, yes, technically speak it is faster. However, being that modern systems rely so heavily on CPU cache, unless you were really pushing your system you probably wouldn't see a significant difference.

If you were to run a benchmark of both systems though, the one I outlined would probably score a bit better than yours.

Again, your system isn't crap, it's quite fine, really. It's just for the price, you could of undeniably done better. Be it by 1% or 100% :) better is better.

I'm probably no more knowledgeable than your "computer technician" friends, probably less so in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back