1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

AT&T and T-Mobile start rolling out cross-network call verification

By Shawn Knight
Aug 14, 2019 at 10:42 AM
Post New Reply
  1. Spam calls are a huge problem for wireless providers and customers alike. Last year alone, Americans were hit with nearly 48 billion unwanted calls but relief could be in sight. In addition to the government taking action, carriers themselves are now stepping up measures to counter robocalls.

AT&T and T-Mobile on Wednesday started rolling out cross-network call authentication technology based on the SHAKEN / STIR standard. SHAKEN stands for Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using toKENs and STIR is short for Secure Telephone Identity Revisited.

Personally, if I don't recognize a number, I don't answer. If a call is important enough, they'll leave a voicemail.

A spoofed call will fail the SHAKEN / STIR verification and thus, won’t be marked as verified. As more providers adopt SHAKEN / STIR technology, more calls will be verified over time. With any luck, other major carriers will start rolling out similar implementations in the near future.

Here’s to hoping spammers don’t figure out how to circumvent the security measure before it gets broadly adopted.

Masthead credit: Charles Taylor via Getty Images

Permalink to story.

2. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 4,123   +2,415

(y) (Y)

jobeard likes this.
  3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,510   +3,899

"Personally, if I don't recognize a number, I don't answer. If a call is important enough, they'll leave a voicemail."
    I couldn't have said it better and my answering message even says, "calls that don't leave a voice message will NOT be returned" ..... :p

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...