ATI All In Wonder 9600 problem with TV-out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I really need some helps with a problem I'm having...

I have a ALL-IN-WONDER ATI Radoen 9600 128MB video card with the 6.12 driver. When I used TV-out(s-video) to connect computer to TV, the TV screen was always black and white, choppy or distorted. I read all articles in the ATI site, did not solve the problem...

My computer's configuration:
P4 2.6G
ABIT A17 motherboard
512M PC3200 DDR
ATI Radeon All In Wonder 9600 AGPx8 128m
200G hard drive
Creative Audigy 2 sound card
ATX case and 300W power supply

Thanks for your time,

- Luck

What kind of a cable are you using? Does your TV actually support S-Video input?

I tried both composite and 5 pin s-video cable, same problem. I am sure my TV supports S-Video input because when I connect my laptop with TV using S-Video, works perfectly.

Do you think the problem came from the POWER SUPPLY UNIT? Mine is 300w.

Thanks

No, it has nothing to do with your PSU..

Does your laptop have an ATI video card? NVidia cards have both S-Video and composite output whereas ATI have only S-Video.

Did you actually choose the S-Video as the input on your TV set? On my TV for example, I have inputs "2" and "S" that both mean the same SCART connector, but it is the "S" one that does S-Video.

Thank you for your reply, Nodsu. You are right, my laptop has NVidia card with 7 pins S-Video TV-out. Actually I used an adaptor to converts s-video TV-out to S-Video (5 pins) and composite video(yellow one), and then I used composite video cable to connect adaptor and TV. It works great.

I would like to use same way above to connect my desktop and TV. Since ATI AIW 9600 card has S-Video and composite video, I tried using composite video cable to connect composite video output of computer with the composite video input of TV. It does not work. Same problem if I use S-Video output of computer connected to composite video input of TV with S-Video-Composite adaptor.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Monitor Reciever not TV

luck402 said:
Thank you for your reply, Nodsu. You are right, my laptop has NVidia card with 7 pins S-Video TV-out. Actually I used an adaptor to converts s-video TV-out to S-Video (5 pins) and composite video(yellow one), and then I used composite video cable to connect adaptor and TV. It works great.

I would like to use same way above to connect my desktop and TV. Since ATI AIW 9600 card has S-Video and composite video, I tried using composite video cable to connect composite video output of computer with the composite video input of TV. It does not work. Same problem if I use S-Video output of computer connected to composite video input of TV with S-Video-Composite adaptor.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

It seems you have RCA and S-Video inputs.If so why use converters.
Do a direct input with what the TV will accept.No converters.
You do know how to set your monitor or TV with the ATI options.
It's in the Catalyst Controls.Display Manager.
You can use 1 or both.
Heres how i did it.
Set your choice of TV or both and shut down PC.
Turn on the TV and set to the video in selection you chose,not TV channels.
Then boot your computer.
Your TV color and sharpness will probably need changeing for the pc signal.

I did this before, but no luck. My another problem was I can only turn on the TV in the BASIC view and I got the problem as I mentioned above, in the "Advance" view I could not enable TV(secondary view). Any thoughts. Thanks.

--Luck

wHAT HAVE YOU TRIED BEFORE ?

luck402 said:
I did this before, but no luck. My another problem was I can only turn on the TV in the BASIC view and I got the problem as I mentioned above, in the "Advance" view I could not enable TV(secondary view). Any thoughts. Thanks.

--Luck

Please explain :Advance as opposed to Basic ?
This has nothing to do with TV in any way.
The video options are probably on the remote.
TV,Video1,Video2 etc.The inputs are marked so you have to get behind
it to read them or in the manual.
But.
You can't overwrite TV.
Think of it as a monitor,not a TV for this.
Use the monitor inputs and video 1 or 2 options.
I have done this so please accept my suggestions.

I have an ATI 9600XT with tv out , I have dual monitors , 20"WS 17" and a 27" TV.

My guess is , its putting out a resolution the tv doesnt like . change to a lower resolution , Make sure you have the correct region, PAL or NSTC.

There are no "like" or "don't like" with an analog connection to the TV set.
S-Video, PAL, NTSC standards define the resolutions and the graphics card cannot possibly put anything higher on the wire. The resolution you set in your display properties is scaled to the TV standard by the TV-out chip.

Thanks

Superinc said:
I have an ATI 9600XT with tv out , I have dual monitors , 20"WS 17" and a 27" TV.

My guess is , its putting out a resolution the tv doesnt like . change to a lower resolution , Make sure you have the correct region, PAL or NSTC.
I think your right,i overlooked that.If you read the video card abilities,it's probably 800 x 600.Some more expensive cards will output 1024 x 768.
Although i can't name one.Browse ATI.
TV video pales by comparison to PC monitors.It's not bad for gameing,but forget things like MS Office.
Thats why i use,TV in with a PVR card.Almost HD.
How do i know you might ask ?
I contacted the CRTC who authorize Canadian TV stations.They sent me info on TV's abiliies.
That was before HDTV but thats not the ? here.

Check this menu

luck402
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\help\wwhelp\wwhimpl\js\html\wwhelp.htm

I have the 9600 but not all in wonder,but this explains it.Go to yours.
This may not be a hyperlink.It's in Catalyst controls.Display Manager Help.

zipperman said:
luck402
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\help\wwhelp\wwhimpl\js\html\wwhelp.htm

I have the 9600 but not all in wonder,but this explains it.Go to yours.
This may not be a hyperlink.It's in Catalyst controls.Display Manager Help.

Define PVR card? I have sort of the same issues with HDTV quality on a 7800GTX Nvidia card. The PVR card you speak of is that a hardware video decoder card? is so what brand and model. A friend of mine had one a couple of years ago and worked great but was not compatible with newer PC's.
want to play games on HDTV but quality is low (much lower then PC monitor)

Useing the right hardware

Griffon327 said:
Define PVR card? I have sort of the same issues with HDTV quality on a 7800GTX Nvidia card. The PVR card you speak of is that a hardware video decoder card? is so what brand and model. A friend of mine had one a couple of years ago and worked great but was not compatible with newer PC's.
want to play games on HDTV but quality is low (much lower then PC monitor)
First,A PVR Personal Video Recorder)card is TV in to my PC.
I watch and record TV on my PC monitor.Even burn right to dvd.
Years ago I tried TV out to my TV (better known as a TV Receiver)
It's not worth the trouble as video cards don't output HD.
But if you care to see the results then make these connections.
You need seperate audio and video inputs for this.
The red and white rca's go to your Amp/receiver auxilary connection for the sound.The yellow goes to the TV video input for video,no sound.
This is from my experience in the 90's.So I'm not really qualified or wish to
learn more about todays technoligy.
Have you located the options for monitor choice ?
Heres a picture.

Attachments

• MONITOR CHOICES.jpg
    MONITOR CHOICES.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 7
Uh? you are a little behind the times. I have a TV tuner card and have had one for years that is not the problem. And the description you gave for Video card to TV is outdated by at least 6 years. What I use for sound from PC to TV is Fibre optic cable and The description you gave for the video input by saying yellow RCA connector is very very old technology.

The Yellow RCA connector was replaced by the S-video connector for quality and then replaced by the Component video connector which separates the video into three separate RCA connectors which is YPrPB which supports 480i 480P 720P and 1080i formats. This was later replaced by DVI and then by HDMI which both support 1080P

What I was referring to was that the 7800GTX video card even when going from DVI to the TV had a very poor picture quality that make playing games on the TV look and play poorly.

Now the 7800 GTX video card is roughly the same video card that comes in the X Box-360 and everyone knows exactly how well the X-Box 360 looks and plays on a wide screen HDTV

Oh and most of todays high end video cards to output HD look at the specs.
My main gripe is for some reason the Nvidia cards put out HD substantially poorer then ATI cards.

I know

Griffon327 said:
Uh? you are a little behind the times. I have a TV tuner card and have had one for years that is not the problem. And the description you gave for Video card to TV is outdated by at least 6 years. What I use for sound from PC to TV is Fibre optic cable and The description you gave for the video input by saying yellow RCA connector is very very old technology.

The Yellow RCA connector was replaced by the S-video connector for quality and then replaced by the Component video connector which separates the video into three separate RCA connectors which is YPrPB which supports 480i 480P 720P and 1080i formats. This was later replaced by DVI and then by HDMI which both support 1080P

What I was referring to was that the 7800GTX video card even when going from DVI to the TV had a very poor picture quality that make playing games on the TV look and play poorly.

Now the 7800 GTX video card is roughly the same video card that comes in the X Box-360 and everyone knows exactly how well the X-Box 360 looks and plays on a wide screen HDTV

Oh and most of todays high end video cards to output HD look at the specs.
My main gripe is for some reason the Nvidia cards put out HD substantially poorer then ATI cards.
I said it was in the 90's,but just defined PVR as requested.
Also suggested TV out was not very good then and probably now.
HDTV is transmitted from the broadcast TV station.You can't capture it without additional equipment.My ISP has an add on that raises my rate.

Can you get a HDTV signal via the internet for your PVR (TV tuner card) ???

I did not think this was available yet? I live in the sticks where even DSL is not available on Digital cable which also sucks. I use Dish network HD receiver for all my HD content and have a couple of 6000 models for receiving over the air broad casts but in my location (mountains) there is no over the air HD content to pick up.

Makes me laugh like hell every time I am in a store and see a salesman try to sell a HDTV antenna (for over the air HD) to a customer. Sometimes I let them know that in order for the antenna to work they will have to sell their house and move closer to a broadcast station.

Like I said if I can get HDTV content on my puter via the internet then I will go that route because sitting 16 inches away from 22 inch monitor is almost like sitting 6 feet away from a 42 inch Wide screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back