Video Stuttering with 7870 in Win7 64

Hello,

I have been experiencing an ongoing issue with video stuttering when using vsync (and screen tearing when not of course) in certain games.

Here are my specs:

Desktop PC OS: Win 7 64-bit

Intel Core i7 3770 3.4Ghz

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

GSkill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3 RAM

AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB driver: 13.251.0.0 (CCC 13.12)

3-display setup (2 monitors 1920x1080, 1600x900, and one TV at 1360x768)

HD1 – Samsung SSD 840 PRO – 120GB

HD2 – OCZ Agility3 SSD – 240GB

HD3 – Seagate HDD 2TB

HD4 – WD HDD 500GB

This issue is present throughout all games and videos to varying degrees. It becomes apparent when any smooth movement is supposed to occur such as camera panning or forward movement (in fps games for example). In certain games it is barely noticeable such as Borderlands 2, however games Trine or Dead Island are virtually unplayable due to the amount of stutter when moving.

In other games I experience tearing unless forcing vsync with triple buffering with D3D overrider. I have tried changing the vsync settings in the individual games as well with no change.

I have tried a number of solutions recommended from various boards such as reinstalling/installing older drivers. I am using an ATI radeon HD 7870 and have downloaded and removed/installed just about every driver version I could get my hands on.

I have also been lucky enough to have access to a great deal of spare parts. As such I have swapped the following components with known-good ones with no result:

- Power supply

- CPU

- Motherboard

- Hard drive (SSD) - full reformat as well

The previous graphics card, a 6870, also experienced the exact same problems, initially I replaced this card in an attempt to solve the stutter issue but it remained exactly the same.

I have run memtest and had no errors.

I have run certain problem games off of a different hard drive and on different monitors of my setup and produced the same result.

Computer has been fully scanned/cleaned of malware etc. Running Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and MSE.

I’m at the end of my rope here. Not sure what else to do. Seems like this is a tricky issue, none of the solutions I have found while searching has worked but I’m hoping I missed something crucial.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. If you need any more information please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

In-game Vsync sucks for many games, the problem being some games tend to be biased towards one company and that causes the other company Graphics card to run poorly in it.

Try downloading Radeon Pro, its a custom tool that helps for games like that on AMD cards that run into issues with Vsync. Once installed, all you do is add the games your having problems with, go to the options surrounding the games sync, and set it to use dynamic Vsync with the refresh rate of your monitor (You can also add your monitors refresh in).

Hey Mark,
What is the refresh/frequency of the two 1920x1080 displays? Can you try removing all but the highest frequency display and play with only that single display?

Keep in mind that with vsync, you may be getting the lowest common denominator of your displays, which may be your TV at some terrible, low frequency like 30hz or something, thus making any framerate dips in the sub-15fps which would be terrible. If your 1920x1080 have at least 60hz, try with just one of them enabled and connected and see if the problem goes away. If so, then add monitors one by one until it rears and then we can see if there some way to get a higher frequency (even if lower resolution) to that particular display.

Good luck!

Hi GhostRyder, I made an account just to say that the Radeon Pro program actually fixed my issue.
I had somewhat the same issues as Mark, with minor stutters in Dota 2, and Counter strike: Global offensive. After turning on the dynamic vsync, stutters were gone on both the games. So thank you for the advice!

Greetings.

Hi GhostRyder, I made an account just to say that the Radeon Pro program actually fixed my issue.
I had somewhat the same issues as Mark, with minor stutters in Dota 2, and Counter strike: Global offensive. After turning on the dynamic vsync, stutters were gone on both the games. So thank you for the advice!

Greetings.
Your welcome, yea I tried it because I had that issue in BF3 because the in-game Vsync was horrible and I hated just letting the system run at 100+FPS and waste power and output extra heat for no reason. RadeonPro's Dynamic Vsync helped with that, I was so surprised it worked as well as it did and I still use it to this day (Though it does not like steam games too much sadly).

Your welcome, yea I tried it because I had that issue in BF3 because the in-game Vsync was horrible and I hated just letting the system run at 100+FPS and waste power and output extra heat for no reason. RadeonPro's Dynamic Vsync helped with that, I was so surprised it worked as well as it did and I still use it to this day (Though it does not like steam games too much sadly).

Well fortunately it works well on my Steam games. Because there is a setting under the tab 'Launcher' that enables you to select steam games. And just go to the steam folder / Steamapps / Common and select the .exe there. That helped for me.

Well fortunately it works well on my Steam games. Because there is a setting under the tab 'Launcher' that enables you to select steam games. And just go to the steam folder / Steamapps / Common and select the .exe there. That helped for me.
Yea it works on some of mine but not all of them, Tomb Raider for instance for me throws an error when I tried to use it last and Ubisofts Far Cry 3 will not run with it sadly. But everything else on steam seems happy.

Back