ATI driver causing 50 and sometimes 7E

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottjal

Can you all tell me if this is a hardware or software thing? I am leaning toward software but I just don't know. I have a bunch of minidumps to look at, opening them with WinDbg I can find these but I have no clue what I am looking at. Can someone lend some help interpreting these minidumps?

sj

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows crashes on boot or in office apps

This was a new install of windows last week, Clean install of XP x64 for more memory but just continual crashing now. I do have all windows critical updates. System worked fine in XP x32.

ATI Graphics drivers
8.12 = completely unable to boot windows, always results in BSOD with 0x00000050 mentioning win32k.sys.

8.11-8.9 = Will install and work in windows but will occasionally lock up in office outlook or word for example, sometimes with 0x00000050 or 0x0000007E.

What I have done so far:

Tried four versions of ATI driver, 8.12 is very bad for me, others are somewhat random. System runs fine with no video driver loaded.

Uninstalled .NET 2.0 and 3.0, updated DX9c and updated .NET to dotnetfx35.exe.

Intel chipset, ITE8211 and ICH9R drivers are most recent posted at intel.com. Realtek sound and intel LAN are also most recent they have. That's all there is.

As I stated previously system appears to run fine without a video driver loaded. I can't get it to crash with all of the office apps.

Additionally I have run memtest86 and the system passed 14 times. Burn in Test reveals no problems with any hardware or system temperature.

Copied from minidumps:
BugCheck 50, {fffffa8005d04000, 0, fffff97fff017453, 0}
BugCheck 50, {fffffa8004f45000, 0, fffff97fff017453, 0}
BugCheck 50, {fffffa800432b000, 0, fffff97fff017453, 0}
BugCheck 50, {fffff980f7b2c564, 0, fffff97fff2eed58, 0}
BugCheck 50, {fffffa800a300000, 0, fffff97fff017453, 0}

Bottom of the files usually reveal these:
Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k+2eed58 )
Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k+17453 )

--------------------------------------------------------------
Hardware:
Connect3D Radeon X1950 Crossfire Edition 512MB PCI-E (C3D-3061)
Intel Q9550 CPU
Supermicro C2SBA G33 Motherboard

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    164.8 KB · Views: 5
Download driver cleaner pro from HERE

Then go HERE and read over that guide. Print it out if you need to for reference material.

One option that guide doesn't talk about is the cab cleaner feature. After you have ran driver cleaner in safe mode, cick tools then cab cleaner..clean the Driver.cab file and the SP*.cab file. (* is a wild card for the service pack you have installed) it can take upwards of 10-15 mins to clean the cab files so just be patient. After all of that has finished restart your computer normally.

Now you have 2 choices, You can either go with the manufacturers drivers or you can try the "Omega drivers" which can be gotten HERE Just select your operating system and download the drivers.

The choice is yours. However, I would give the omega drivers a try and see if they work better.

After doing the above stated, please post back and let us know if the issue has been resolved or not.

Sorry I didn't update but here's a little followup.

I was using driver cleaner, it works pretty well.

ATI support didn't come up with anything either. Finally I just reinstalled windows and I "think" it's all set now. Somehow I collected a couple more 7E's on boot but I neglected to turn off the auto reboot so I didn't notice when it happened.

All I can figure that I did differently this time is I installed the DX9c with the 10/2008 update redistributable package and install .NET 3.5 with the redistributable package instead of using windows update for all those.

Also I left the 8.12 video driver for the absolute last thing.

I forgot all about the omega drivers though, will go look them up.

Well it wasn't fixed. I don't know what it is but XP x64 and the drivers I have for it are just plagued with these bluescreens.

Yesterday I switched back to my copy of XP x86 fresh install again with all new drivers and so far I got exactly ONE: Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c000001d, parameter2 00000007, parameter3 b5b35df8, parameter4 b5b35af4 BSOD on boot right around the area where the video driver comes on. This happened right after I installed the ATI 8.12 x86 video driver, on the first reboot after that. I have yet to get another BSOD but I have had a couple game crashes in GTA4, I can't really lay blame on anything from that though.

So now I am looking at multiple clean OS installs with mostly different drivers due to the x86 x64 difference. If this persists I am thinking hardware and most likely video card, anyone have thoughts about that?

I think I might have it do loupes of 3Dmark and see what happens. It's just so dammed random and unrepeatable.

If it matters this is what the computer is:

Supermicro C2SBA+II
Intel Q9550
PNY memory 2x2gig
Seasonic SS-550HT
ATI X1950XTX

For a followup It was most likely hardware. Replaced the video card with a BFG 260 OC2 and the system is flawless now.

I am thinking hardware because the same problem in both XP x86 and x64 with the relevant different drivers and clean installs just doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back