ATI Radeon HD 5970 Review: Dual-GPU Graphics

yikes! that's a butt kicking, anxiously waiting for the green fans to try and put a spin on that. BTW Julio, I just measured my case....it will fit nicely..if you would like to have a contest/giveaway or something of that nature :)

how close does this monstrosity come to saturating the bandwidth of a PCIE V 2.0 ?

hellokitty[hk] said:
What exactly happened to their naming scheme?

They replaced the X2 with the 59xx over the 58xx, the theory is that they don't want to draw attention to the fact that its a dual GPU card, and want it thought of as a single slot solution.

Wow, that's nuts. Card is a real beast, in performance and size. I wonder what Nvidia is doing next...GTX3XX series? =D

This looks seriously nice , This is seriously a big leap for gamers ! Im still wondering why is nVidia keeping quiet though ?

Now, if anyone has been keeping up with my posts on all the graphics cards reviews, I always mention that nVidia will come out with something better...But Bloody Hell! that is some serious power in that card! I mean, thats real competition for nVidia! I may actually give up the wait for nVidia to come up with something and just buy one of these! I mean those furture mark benchs when over-clocked are the first of there kind for a single graphics card! I may have to give in and go ATI after all!

Yep, I guess I know what will be going into my new early 2010 gaming rig build... Some of those benchmarks are insane!

I, too, have been curious to see what nVidia brought to the table. I left their camp years ago and have been all ATi since (well, except for the occasional system built for a friend that requested nVidia). Still, I always like to keep my ear to the ground on what new flashy things are coming, and it's soooo quiet over at nVidia. I think they are so focused on Fermi and some of their other projects, that they don't want their new killer card rumors to overshadow their other stuff, until the card actually hits the market - and I'm sure it will hit like an atom bomb, knowing how nVidia like to trump the competition and their own previous performance with new launches.

Still, it makes me wonder if maybe the new ATi stuff made such a significant performance jump that it has nVidia reeling and scrambling to one-up it?

Better drivers will make this card faster, and when Nvidia finally releases their next generation video card with early drivers it will be judged against ATI with solid drivers, which will make it even more difficult for Nvidia.

Also, I believe it was Anand that stated that two HD 5970s Crossfired will require an Intel Core i7 @ 4GHz just to feed them, a little scary as your test CPU was a respectable 3.7GHz.

High demand and low availability of the earlier HD 58xx series leads me to believe AMD/ATI released this simply as another blow to Nvidia; enthusiast will love it.

Wish I could edit posts...

In the above post I said, "two HD 5970s Crossfired will require an Intel Core i7 @ 4GHz just to feed them". I meant two HD 5870s Crossfired.

why bring this card out when there are none of there newer cards available anywhere online i mean come on ATi get with it and sell some cards so nvidia can feel the pain :)

At this writing Newegg is sold out of 5970s. They still had one model available about 1/2 hour ago but now it's not. I'm with klepto12 on this. This could be turning into practically a paper launch. The shortage of the 5800 series and now the 5970 has got to be frustrating for ATI fans.

At this writing Newegg is sold out of 5970s. They still had one model available about 1/2 hour ago but now it's not. I'm with klepto12 on this. This could be turning into practically a paper launch. The shortage of the 5800 series and now the 5970 has got to be frustrating for ATI fans.

yeah, but i smell a rat here....this 'bad yield of 40nm process' of TSMC is rather suspect. the products that are being released now have been in the works for two years, and now we have pitiful 40-50% yields in a process that has been around for a while? I think not. it smacks of the fake gas shortages of the early 70's.

i want a 5850 so bad but they are always sold out and now the price has sky rocketed up to over $300 this is a load of BS.

i want a 5850 so bad but they are always sold out and now the price has sky rocketed up to over $300 this is a load of BS.

I agree Klep, I am waiting to see what Asus,Sapphire, and Gigabyte do with these cards, but I think that's going to be a while now. I don't think its ATI/AMD though, given the market, they could be charging a lot more if they wanted.

Haven't been able to use it yet.. -_- I had enough time to take pictures and post them before i had to leave for Toronto

Haven't been able to use it yet.. -_- I had enough time to take pictures and post them before i had to leave for Toronto

Hey Teh, when you get a chance, would you post some load temps on that thing?. I really have not been a big fan of 'tunnel cards' because of temp issues, but it looks as though its going to be a while before production ramps up enough to see what other vendors will do with open cooling solutions.

Well, to be honest, cards these days have nothing green-except the color of some manufacturers. More and more power (I know it means more computing-calculations) but c'mon that's purely kill-o-watts. I would like to see some electricity bills with that monster in Crossfire mode.

Well, to be honest, cards these days have nothing green-except the color of some manufacturers. More and more power (I know it means more computing-calculations) but c'mon that's purely kill-o-watts. I would like to see some electricity bills with that monster in Crossfire mode.

well that assumes that
A) you buy into the BS social re-engineering of the biggest hoax ever perpetrated on mankind that is 'global warming'.

and.....
B) if you can pay for the card,and afford the electricity bill....why not enjoy its superior performance?!

Back