ATI's next generation video card to be 1.6x faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to a report by Fudzilla, ATI's upcoming DirectX 11 GPU - known as RV870 or Evergreen - is roughly 1.6x faster than the current RV770 chip. RV770 powers ATI's Radeon 4870 graphics card, which is among the top performing single-GPU cards on the market. I suspect that a performance leap of 1.6x is mostly in theory - or in an absolute best-case scenario. Regardless, ATI's approaching 40nm offering should be an impressive step forward in the never-ceasing GPU arms race.

Meanwhile, the Nvidia camp is prepping their November response to ATI's Evergreen line. Nvidia is working on a GT300 card, which supposedly features 512 processor cores among other architectural enhancements including MIMD (Multiple Instruction Multiple Data), an improvement over the presently utilized SIMD technology.

It is alleged that Nvidia's project may outdo ATI's in terms of performance, but at the expense of a larger, hotter card.

Permalink to story.

as long as they both keep shrinking the mn's down and the power and heart requirements the same or lower, they will be good cards. Every time I see specs like this it always reminds me of this picture; http://blog.codefront.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/outside_mmorpg.jpg

I'll take expensive, larger and hotter over slower any day. You can adjust for that stuff (bigger case, good cooler, take a second job....).

I'm just glad something new is coming out to feed my addiction. I've been stuck with these two gtx 295's for far too long. When I am awaiting something new for my build my mind is constantly thinking about it and my OCD decreases.

Haha funny that, I did actually. I only played it because my flatmates played it and we had 'bonding' :p

I was talking about RL :)

I'm going to side with Matthew on this one. I can't help but to think that this 1.6X faster is an artificial number which is only achievable by marketing departments.
The typical slope between hardware cycles suggests a 20% increase. I'm more incline to believe something along these lines as realistic. Which is a number to suggest actual hardware performance. Driver optimization for specific game titles can add to the base hardware improvements. But I'm not holding my breath for these two performance indicators to be delivered together as the hardware ships.

I hope they improve their Crossfire support with the next series... it's a shame that they always have to release hotfixes due to poor marketing.

ATI needs to optimize there power consumption and heat. Thats why i choose Nvidia over ATI. Just like my Honda...if you optimize the speed a smaller engine will perform almost as well as the hogging big one.

ATI needs to optimize there power consumption and heat. Thats why i choose Nvidia over ATI. Just like my Honda...if you optimize the speed a smaller engine will perform almost as well as the hogging big one.

i think your confused, nvidia is the one with big hot cards.

"but at the expensive of a larger, hotter card. "
Am i the only one who notices that its supposed to say expense...? lol
And yes, its meant to be nvidia with the big and hot >.> not really so much of ATi... ATi's coolers just suck ><

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back